This Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup is the ultimate comfort food, combining tender cabbage and hearty ground beef, simmered to perfection in a rich and flavorful broth.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love this Cabbage Roll Soup
- 🛒 What’s in Keto Cabbage Roll Soup
- 🔪 How to Make Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
- Is Cabbage OK for Keto?
- Cabbage Roll Soup Crockpot Variations
- Can I Make this Crockpot Stuffed Cabbage Soup Recipe on the Stovetop Instead of a Slow Cooker?
- How Long Does Low Carb Cabbage Roll Soup Last?
- Can I Make this Cabbage Roll Soup Ahead of Time?
- Can I Freeze the Leftovers?
- How Many Carbs are in Cabbage Roll Soup?
- What Slow Cooker is Best to Use?
- More Keto Slow Cooker Recipes
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Cabbage Roll Soup
- All the bold and delicious flavors of cabbage rolls made into a soup
- Chunks of ground beef with tender cabbage in a flavorful broth
- Hearty, filling and very satisfying
- Made easy in the slow cooker with minimal prep
This recipe is inspired by the delicious flavors of traditional cabbage rolls but in the form of a warming and comforting soup. Cauliflower rice steps in for regular rice, making this a low-carb option without compromising on taste or texture.
Tender cabbage leaves, chunks of carrots and ground beef slowly cook as they take on the flavors of the savory and nourishing tomato broth. It's the perfect, warm and comforting meal to come home to after a long and busy weekday.
You'll love the convenience of cooking this cabbage roll soup crockpot recipe. Simply prepare the ingredients, set it, and let it work its magic while you go about your day. For a decadent cheesy casserole version, you should definitely try this Cabbage Roll Casserole!
🛒 What’s in Keto Cabbage Roll Soup
- Ground beef
- Cauliflower rice
- Yellow onion
- Diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Tomato paste
- Dried parsley
- Bay leaf
- Smoked paprika
- Dried thyme
- Ground black pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
Heat a large skillet to medium and add in the ground beef and half the salt.
Cook until the ground beef has been browned, then pour into the insert in your slow cooker.
Add the onions and garlic.
Tip: If you want to give the onions and garlic more flavor, you can sauté them before adding them into the slow cooker.
Sprinkle the smoked paprika, dried thyme, parsley, pepper and remaining salt.
Next, add in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and carrots.
Tip: While you can certainly omit the carrots if you're wanting to be super strict. Since the carb impact is so minimal, I recommend leaving them in because they add nice flavor and texture.
Add in the cabbage, bay leaf and chicken broth.
Tip: If you don't have chicken broth on hand, you can use beef broth instead.
Mix until well combined and cook on high for 3 ½ hours (6-½ hours on low), adding in the frozen cauliflower during the last ½ hour.
Remove and discard the bay leaf, add in some (optional) fresh parsley and serve.
Is Cabbage OK for Keto?
Cabbage on Keto is almost a given. It's full of fiber, extremely low carb and makes the most delicious dishes. For a one cup serving, there are 2 grams of fiber out of the 5 total grams of carb. That means there are only 3 net carbs in cabbage.
Besides all that, it's also a nutrient dense veggie. It's rich in vitamin B6 and folate but is also loaded with vitamin c, which we all know hosts so many health benefits.
Cabbage Roll Soup Crockpot Variations
- Sausage: Keeping with the traditional recipe, this recipe is made with ground beef. But you can use smoked sausage, kielbasa or Italian Sausage instead of ground beef. If you love that combination of flavors, you should also try this Fried Cabbage with Sausage or this Cabbage Soup with Sausage recipe.
- Chicken: You can make this soup using leftover baked or rotisserie chicken. A combination of ground beef and chicken is another hearty and delicious option.
- Bell Peppers: Red, green, or yellow bell peppers are a great way to add even more nutrients and a vibrant pop of color.
- Mushrooms: Sautéed mushrooms add a rich and earthy flavor to the soup as well as a healthy amount of protein. Check out this article about how Mushrooms on Keto are incredibly versatile and beneficial.
- Seasonings: A dash of liquid aminos brings a savory depth and tang to the soup. You can also spice up the broth with a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Broth: This recipe calls for chicken broth, but you can use homemade Chicken Stock if you happen to have some in the freezer. Instead of the dried parsley and dried thyme, you can use your favorite dried Italian seasoning blend.
- Carrots: I know what you’re thinking, "carrots on Keto?" Yes, you can have a few carrots, in moderation, on Keto. But you can always leave them out.
Can I Make this Crockpot Stuffed Cabbage Soup Recipe on the Stovetop Instead of a Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can adapt the recipe to cook on the stovetop. Simply brown the beef and then simmer it with the other ingredients in a large pot, covered, on low heat for a couple of hours or until the veggies are tender.
How Long Does Low Carb Cabbage Roll Soup Last?
This crockpot cabbage soup can typically be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. For best results, make sure you store it in an airtight container.
Can I Make this Cabbage Roll Soup Ahead of Time?
Certainly! This soup tastes even better the next day as the flavors continue to develop. Store it in the refrigerator and reheat as needed.
Can I Freeze the Leftovers?
Yes, this cabbage roll soup freezes well. Allow the soup to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe, airtight container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
How Many Carbs are in Cabbage Roll Soup?
I have included the carb amounts in the recipe card below. However, if you are tracking daily macros, you will want to weigh and calculate your own. This is because a small head of cabbage can vary in weight and the brands of ingredients you use will also vary.
To give you a general idea, this recipe will make 8 servings. There are 12 total carbs, 5 grams of fiber and 7 net carbs per serving.
What Slow Cooker is Best to Use?
I used the Hamilton Beach 6 Quart Slow Cooker and absolutely love it. It's very lightweight and is programmable. But here's my favorite part... you can use the insert on your stovetop to sear before slow cooking.
So if you have a roast that you want to sear to give it more flavor, you don't have to use another pan! You can also deglaze the pan with your liquids and really make the most of all that flavor. Hands down, my favorite slow cooker ever!
More Keto Slow Cooker Recipes
- Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Soup
- Turkey Breast with Gravy
- Southern Green Beans
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- BBQ Meatballs
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup
- 2 pounds ground beef, I use 85%
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 10 ounce bag frozen cauliflower rice
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, lowest carb
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a large skillet to medium and add in the ground beef and half the salt.
- Cook until the ground beef has been browned, then pour into the insert in your slow cooker.
- Add the onions and garlic. Sprinkle the smoked paprika, dried thyme, parsley, pepper and remaining salt.
- Next, add in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and carrots. Add in the cabbage, bay leaf and chicken broth.
- Mix until well combined and cook on high for 3 ½ hours (6-½ hours on low), adding in the frozen cauliflower during the last ½ hour.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf, add in some (optional) fresh parsley and serve.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.