This slow cooker chicken soup recipe is the perfect warm and comforting meal! It's hearty and delicious and couldn't be easier to make.
FREE KETO FAT BOMBS EBOOK
What could be better, when the temps begin to fall outside, than curling up with a warm blanket and a piping hot bowl of soup! If you're following Keto or low carb diet, this noodle-free chicken soup is just what you're looking for.
I'm not sure about you, but when I was growing up and had a winter bug, chicken soup was the prescription that always made me feel better! The tender and juicy chicken with savory vegetables just feels like home!
And, before you say, "I thought carrots weren't Keto," you can adjust this recipe by adding fewer or omitting them, if that's your preference. But, with only 3 net carbs per serving, the carb impact of adding the carrots is minimal.
This Keto soup recipe is not only tasty, it's super healthy, a great source of protein, low carb and gluten-free. I love to serve it all year round, but you'll especially want to keep a batch of this made up and frozen to have on had when the frigid temps of January and February come around.
This chicken soup recipe is such a great time saver! The whole recipe cooks right in the crockpot, freeing you up from standing over the stove. Plus clean up is a breeze. You can store leftover crockpot soup right in the insert too!
Ingredients in Crock Pot Chicken Soup
- Whole chicken
- Chicken broth
- Bay leaf
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh thyme
- Dried dill
- Ground pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
Add the carrots, celery, onion, herbs, salt and pepper to the insert of a 6 quart slow cooker.
Remove the neck and giblets bag from the chicken and add the chicken, breast side up on top of the veggies.
Pour the chicken broth and water over the top.
Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
Remove the sprigs of parsley and thyme and discard. Skim the top for any excess fat and discard it.
Remove the chicken, carrots and celery, chop into bite size pieces and shred the chicken. Add the chicken, celery and carrots back into the soup. Give it a good stir and it's ready to serve.
What do I Serve with Slow Cooker Chicken Soup?
You can serve it as is! But, I often serve it with cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, Palmini noodles, spaghetti squash or other Keto friendly noodles.
You can also make this using chicken thighs, boneless or bone in chicken breasts instead. You will just need to adjust the cooking time down to about 2-3 hours on high or low for 4-6 hours.
Variations and Tips for the Best Keto Chicken Soup
One of the wonderful things about this low carb chicken soup recipe is you can cater it to your own preference:
- Add a little spice: If you like a little heat, add a few red pepper flakes to the broth. Easy does it though, a little goes a ling way. You can also add a little Taco Seasoning, with a couple cloves garlic to give it a Mexican flare.
- Rotisserie chicken in a pinch: From time to time, we all find ourselves without enough time at the end of the day. If you need to make this soup in a hurry, you can use shredded rotisserie chicken. Be sure to check the labels on store-bought rotisserie chicken because some contain added sugars. You can also use left over Instant Pot Roasted Chicken.
- Make a creamy version?: If you want to make a creamier version of this Keto Chicken Soup, you can add a block of cream cheese.
- Add veggies and herbs of your choice: If you follow more of a low carb diet verses Keto, you can add a diced potatoes or stewed tomatoes to this recipe. For added fiber, I have even added kale or spinach to it! A couple tablespoons of fresh cilantro will add a whole new twist! Have fun with this recipe, and make it our own.
- Cheddar is always great: Before serving you can add a little grated cheddar cheese right on top.
FAQ's for Low Carb Keto Chicken Soup
This is such an easy recipe, that it's perfect for beginners. I've included information for some of the most commonly asked questions.
Can you put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
Yes, the chicken will cook perfectly. It will be tender and juicy and so flavorful!
Can I make this Keto soup recipe stove top?
Absolutely. I make a big batch in my Dutch oven on occasion. You'll follow the same steps but because stove top recipes cook a lot faster than slow cooker mode, you'll adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Do you cook chicken first before putting soup?
This is not a necessary step. However, if you have left over cooked chicken you can certainly shred it and use it for this keto chicken soup recipe. You'll only need to cook it until the veggies are tender.
How long can chicken soup stay in the crock pot?
You can store the chicken soup in the crock pot insert or in an airtight container for up to 3 or 4 days.
Can you put raw chicken straight into the soup?
Yes, chicken doesn't require browning or searing before adding it to the soup.
What is the difference between chicken stock and chicken broth?
While both stock and broth can be used interchangeably in most recipes, there are a few differences. Chicken broth is typically made with the seasoned meat, chicken stock is made from cooking the unseasoned chicken with the bones and skin left on.
What Slow Cooker is Best to Use?
I used the Hamilton Beach 6 Quart Slow Cooker and absolutely love it. It's very lightweight and is programmable. But here's my favorite part... you can use the insert on your stovetop to sear before slow cooking.
So if you have a roast that you want to sear to give it more flavor, you don't have to use another pan! You can also deglaze the pan with your liquids and really make the most of all that flavor. Hands down, my favorite slow cooker ever!
More Keto Soup Recipes
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Soup
- Keto Italian Wedding Soup
- Keto Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
- Easy Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
- Smoked Sausage and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, herbs, salt and pepper to the insert of a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Remove the neck and giblets bag from the chicken and add the chicken, breast side up on top of the veggies.
- Pour the chicken broth and water over the top. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
- Remove the sprigs of parsley and thyme and discard. Skim the top for any excess fat and discard it.
- Remove the chicken, carrots and celery, chop into bite size pieces and shred the chicken. Add the chicken, celery and carrots back into the soup.
- Serve with cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, Palmini noodles, spaghetti squash or other Keto friendly noodle.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.