Tiny tasty meatballs in a chicken broth with spinach and egg drop makes this soup hearty and delicious!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
This is one of my all time favorite soups! If you’ve never had it before, you’re in for a treat! It’s incredibly easy to make and even your pickiest of eaters will love it!
Did you know Italian Wedding Soup doesn’t get it’s name because it’s served at Italian weddings? It actually refers to how well the flavors marry together.
The base for the soup is chicken stock, which I love to make from scratch in my Instant Pot. It only takes 1 hour pressure cooked, but tastes like it’s been simmering for 4-5 hours!
I add mini meatballs, cauliflower rice, parmesan cheese, fresh spinach and a swirl of eggs, similar to making egg drop soup! This soup is so hearty and is perfect to warm you up on cold days!
I add a parmesan cheese rind in this soup, which is optional, but highly recommended! It gives the soup a huge boost of flavor and also helps to thicken it slightly.
If you have never used your rinds before, always save them in the fridge or freezer! They are great to add to soups, they help thicken them as it slowly melts.
Ingredients Needed for Keto Italian Wedding Soup
- Homemade Chicken stock
- Cauliflower rice
- Ground beef
- Ground pork
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh basil
- Super fine almond flour
- Raw spinach leaves
- Diced carrots
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: Parmesan cheese rind
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make the Best Italian Wedding Soup
Add the chicken stock to a large pot and bring to a simmer.
Add 1 egg, garlic, almond flour, basil, parsley, salt and pepper to a bowl and mix. Add in the ground beef and pork and mix just until combined, do not over mix.
Using a small melon baller/scooper, form the mini meatballs, then drop them into the simmering stock.
Add in the carrots and parmesan cheese rind (if you have one) simmer for 10 minutes. Add in the cauliflower rice and spinach, then continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes.
Scramble the 2 remaining eggs in a separate bowl and drizzle them very slowly into the soup, while stirring.
Cook for a few more minutes and allow to cool slightly before serving with some grated parmesan cheese and a garnish of parsley.
The carrots are optional but add so much flavor. If you’re on strict Keto, you can certainly omit them but, did you know that ½ cup cooked carrots only contains 4 net carbs?
That’s means the carrots in this Keto soup add less than 1 net carb per serving.
Can I Freeze Italian Wedding Soup?
Yes, this low carb soup freezes well. Place leftovers in a zip lock freezer bag or freezer safe container and store for up to a few months.
As with most vegetables once frozen, they tend to fall apart easily when reheated but the flavor will be just as great.
What Can I Serve with This Italian Wedding Soup Recipe?
This recipe can be served as a meal in and of itself, but if you want to serve it as an appetizer, it pairs well with this Italian Antipasti Platter, a green salad with Creamy Italian Dressing, Creamy Tuscan Chicken Skillet or this Italian Beef Braciole.
More Keto Italian Recipes
- Keto Meatballs Italian Style
- Italian Sausage and Spinach Quiche
- Italian Meat Sauce
- Bacon Wrapped Italian Meatloaf
- Chicken Florentine Casserole
Substitutions in Keto Wedding Soup
- You can use roughly chopped kale in place of the spinach. Kale takes slightly longer to cook to become tender so you’ll need to take that into account with your cooking time.
- For a slightly different flavor profile, you can use ground turkey or ground chicken in place of the ground beef. It’s not recommended to skip the sausage.
- You certainly don’t have to make your own chicken stock. If you prefer to use store bought, use an organic, high quality bone broth like this Kettle and Fire Chicken Bone Broth .
- Though red pepper flakes are not traditional in this Keto Wedding Soup recipe, if you like a little heat, add a little to the meatball mixture for an extra kick.
- While you’re making these Keto meatballs, make a double batch and freeze some to have on hand for next time. When you’re ready to make your next batch of this low carb soup, just dump the frozen meatballs into the broth and allow to cook through.
- Any hard Italian cheese will work in this low carb soup recipe. Asiago, Romano or Manchego work really well with the other flavors.
To make this recipe even better, serve it with these warm and soft Keto Italian Bread Sticks! They truly are perfect with this soup and are so easy to make.
More Low Carb and Keto Soup Recipes
- Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Thai Coconut Curry
- Smoked Sausage Cauliflower Soup
- Jalapeno Popper Soup
- Chicken Soup with Cauliflower Rice
- Cream of Wild Mushroom
Italian Wedding Soup – Keto and Low Carb
- 10 cups chicken stock see my recipe here
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- ½ pound ground beef I use 85%
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 garlic cloves grated
- ¼ cup fresh parsley divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried
- ½ cup super fine almond flour
- 8 ounces raw spinach leaves roughly chopped
- ½ cup diced carrots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 parmesan cheese rind
- Add the chicken stock to a large pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add 1 egg, garlic, almond flour, basil, parsley, salt and pepper to a bowl and mix. Add in the ground beef and pork and mix just until combined, do not over mix. Using a small melon baller/scooper, form the mini meatballs, then drop them into the simmering stock.
- Add in the carrots and parmesan cheese rind (if you have one) simmer for 10 minutes. Add in the cauliflower rice and spinach, then continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes.
- Scramble the 2 remaining eggs and slowly add them into the soup, while stirring the soup.
- Cook for a few more minutes and allow to cool slightly before serving with some grated parmesan cheese and a garnish of parsley.