This easy and delicious Chicken Pot Pie Soup with hearty veggies and juicy chicken is the ultimate comfort food. It has all the same wonderful flavors of classic chicken pot pie, without all the carbs!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love this Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- 🛒 What’s in Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 🔪 How to Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- How Long Does Chicken Pot Pie Soup Last in the Fridge?
- Can Chicken Pot Pie Soup Be Frozen?
- What Goes with Chicken Pot Pie Soup?
- Chicken Soup Variations and Substitutions
- Can I Make This Recipe in a Slow Cooker?
- More Keto Soup Recipes
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- Super easy to make
- Tastes like chicken pot pie, without all the carbs
- Uses mostly pre-cut/pre-cooked ingredients
- Hearty and very filling
Are you craving a warm and cozy bowl of homemade chicken soup, but want to keep things Keto-friendly? You’ve come to the right place! This recipe offers all the same nostalgic flavors of a classic homemade chicken pot pie, but with a delightful low carb makeover.
This easy to make, inviting chicken soup recipe starts with a simple base of tender and juicy chunks of chicken with sautéed hearty, low carb vegetables. Mascarpone cheese is added to the broth it gives this soup an amazing rich and velvety texture.
The inspiration for this recipe comes from one of my all-time favorite Keto casseroles, Chicken Pot Pie. But when the cooler months roll around nothing beats a piping hot bowl of soup to warm you up. This recipe is the best of both worlds!
🛒 What’s in Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Chicken stock
- Mascarpone cheese
- Green beans
- Yellow onion
- Olive oil
- Lemon thyme (or thyme)
- Xanthan gum
- Ground black pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Sauté until tender, then add in the garlic and sauté for about 15 seconds.
Tip: Make sure the garlic doesn't brown, or it will become bitter and you'll have to start all over.
Cut the cooked chicken into bite size pieces.
Add in the chicken, peas, carrots, green beans, lemon thyme, remaining salt and chicken stock.
Bring to a simmer and cook partially covered for 15 minutes.
Tip: Cooking with the lid offset helps to reduce the soup slightly.
Once it’s well combined with no lumps, slowly whisk in the xanthan gum, then pour the mixture into the soup and stir.
Tip: This method works better at preventing lumps, than adding the mascarpone straight into the soup.
Continue cooking uncovered for another 5 minutes or until thickened to your liking, then serve.
How Long Does Chicken Pot Pie Soup Last in the Fridge?
Leftovers will stay fresh in a sealed, airtight container in the fridge for few days. Make sure you allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it to the fridge.
Can Chicken Pot Pie Soup Be Frozen?
If you’re using a freezer bag, squeeze out as much air as you can, then lay in on a flat surface in the freezer. Frozen soup will stay fresh for about 6 months as long as it has been sealed properly.
What Goes with Chicken Pot Pie Soup?
This recipe for Keto chicken soup is a meal all in one, so there is really no need to serve a side dish with it. Having said that, everything is better with bread! Here are some great Keto bread options that will taste amazing with this recipe:
Chicken Soup Variations and Substitutions
- Veggies: Swap out or add to the veggies in this recipe. Mushrooms and zucchini are both great options.
- Chicken: I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you can use thighs if that’s what you have on hand. You can also use rotisserie chicken for a short cut option. Another awesome option is to make this soup with leftover Turkey Breast!
- Herbs: I went with a mild herb flavor for this recipe, but if you like a more robust herby flavor, you can add a little rosemary or bay leaves. You can also use your favorite dried Italian herb blend instead of fresh herbs.
- Broth: Keeping homemade broth in the freezer is a great way to ensure you always have some on hand for soup and other recipes. If you don’t have time to make your own, you can use a good quality store-bought bone broth instead.
- Cheese: Mascarpone has a mild flavor and creamy texture that adds body to this soup. If you can’t find it, cream cheese is a tangier substitute that will work well.
Can I Make This Recipe in a Slow Cooker?
You sure can. It works best in the slow cooker if your model has a sauté function like to one below. Otherwise, you will need to cook the chicken and sauté the celery, garlic and onions in the olive oil and butter in a skillet first.
Once you have everything added to the slow cooker, allow it to simmer for about 4 hours on low or until the carrots are nice and tender.
I use the Hamilton Beach 6 Quart Slow Cooker and absolutely love it. It's very lightweight and is programmable. But here's my favorite part... you can use the insert on your stovetop to sear before slow cooking.
More Keto Soup Recipes
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Soup
- Keto Italian Wedding Soup
- Keto Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
- Easy Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
- Smoked Sausage and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup frozen green beans, cut
- 1 cup frozen carrots
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon thyme, or thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Sauté until tender, then add in the garlic and sauté for about 15 seconds, making sure not to brown it.
- Add in the chicken, peas, carrots, green beans, lemon thyme, remaining salt and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook partially covered for 15 minutes.
- Continue cooking uncovered for another 5 minutes or until thickened to your liking, then serve.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.