A fun and flavorful spin on garlic rolls, these Keto breadsticks are absolutely delicious dipped in homemade low carb marinara sauce!
Ah, the smell of fresh baking bread in the oven! I bet you thought those days were over when you started Keto. Well, you're in for a treat! These gluten free breadsticks taste so much like traditional breadsticks you won't even believe it.
With substituting low carb ingredients for traditional high carb ingredients you can have the soft and pillowy bread sticks you've been craving without all the guilt.
If you are a fan of the famous restaurant that serves all the salad and breadsticks you can eat, try recreating that same delicious combo with these gluten free Breadsticks served with salad and homemade Creamy Keto Italian Dressing!
What's in Keto Italian Breadsticks
- Almond flour
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Psyllium husk powder
- Baking powder
- Nutritional Yeast
- Garlic salt
- Dried parsley
- Dried basil
- Flavorless oil (for handling the dough/forming the breadsticks)
- Olive oil (for brushing the tops)
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Italian Breadsticks
Preheat oven to 400F.
Place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for 30 seconds or until both are melted.
Add the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, parsley, garlic salt and baking powder in a separate bowl and whisk together to combine.
Then add the eggs in the mozzarella, fresh garlic and cream cheese and combine. Add in the parmesan, then add in the dry ingredients and mix well.
As the cheese cools, it can become more difficult to mix, so if that happens, microwave the dough for 10 seconds and it should be easier to mix.
The dough will be very sticky, so be sure to oil your hands to make forming the bread sticks easier.
Divide the dough into 8 pieces.
Then form into logs and divide into 16 breadsticks total and place on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper.
Bake for 12 minutes on the top rack in your own, rotating the pan half way through.
Remove the breadsticks from the oven, and lightly brush olive oil over the tops. Bake for another 3 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Note: Be sure to use the prepackaged, preferably part skim, shredded mozzarella cheese in this recipe. Fresh mozzarella contains too much water and your breadsticks won't turn out as they should.
What to Serve with Italian Keto Breadsticks
I love to eat these Keto breadsticks with a little sugar free homemade marinara, but they are equally as delicious dipped in homemade alfredo sauce. They are even amazing eaten all themselves with a little freshly grated parmesan right over the top.
But if you are looking for meal ideas to serve your Italian breadsticks with, here are some of my easy to make Keto Italian favorites:
- Baked Italian Meatballs
- Chicken Marsala
- Eggplant Parmesan
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Italian Beef Braciole
- Chicken Parmesan
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Keto Italian Antipasto Salad
- Keto Italian Wedding Soup
Tips for Perfect Keto Breadsticks
- Parchment paper or Silpat is a must: Keto dough made with cheese have a tendency to stick so be sure to bake them on a lined sheet pan.
- Store leftovers in wrapped tightly in the fridge: You breadsticks will remain fresh for several days when stored in the fridge.
- Can I Freeze Keto Breadsticks? To be honest, I prefer fresh-out-of-the-oven breadsticks but sometimes you may need to make them in advance of when you will need them. To freeze them, double wrap the cooled breadsticks in plastic wrap, stick in a freezer bag and they will be good for up to a couple of months.
- Try different flavors! You can make these with rosemary and thyme or you can even leave out the savory herbs and add in some cinnamon and sugar free sweetener for a tasty little sweet treat.
Can You Make Keto Dough in Advance?
For this recipe, I would not recommend making the dough in advance. This dough is made with mozzarella cheese and once it is mixed together, it can begin to dry out if left in the fridge unbaked.
But the good news is, this Keto breadstick no rise dough is so easy to make, you can throw the ingredients together and have fresh breadsticks in no time at all.
How Many Carbs in Keto Breadsticks?
Are you ready for this? There are on only 2 net carbs in each breadstick! When you compare that to traditional breadsticks that have approximately 25 grams of carbs, that's just amazing!
How Else Can I Use Nutritional Yeast?
One of the ingredients in this recipe is nutritional yeast. If you're anything like me, you really don't like buying ingredients you can only use once or twice in recipes.
That's the great thing about nutritional yeast! It's so tasty and so healthy and can be used in many recipes! Here are some other great ways to incorporate it into your diet:
- Add it to soups! Because it has almost a cheesy like flavor, it is perfect when added to Keto soups like this Italian Wedding Soup.
- Mix some in with the eggs mixture in these Chorizo And Pepper Muffin Egg Cups. It will add great flavor and nutrition. It's even good just sprinkled on top of scrambled eggs.
- Sprinkle some over your grilled veggies. It is especially good over this Grilled Broccolini Recipe.
- Want to add more flavor to your cauliflower rice? Nutritional yeast is a great way! Add some to this Cauliflower Mushroom "Risotto" or this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice.
More Keto Bread Recipes
- Keto Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
- Fathead Pizza
- Rosemary & Kalamata Olive Focaccia
- Cheddar Jalapeño "Corn" Bread
- Drop Biscuits
If you'd like to know more about baking on Keto, this article, Keto Baking Made Easy, is loaded with tips and info that you'll find helpful. You might also check out my Keto Sweet Treats eBook that has 50 amazing Keto dessert recipes, all with color pics, macros and more! I'm offering it at 50% off when you subscribe to my free weekly emails here.
Keto Italian Breadsticks
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic , grated with a microplane or garlic press
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Flavorless oil, for handling the dough/forming the breadsticks
- Olive oil, for brushing the tops
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for 30 seconds or until both are melted.
- Add the almond flour, psyllium husk powder, nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, parsley, garlic salt and baking powder in a separate bowl and whisk together to combine. Then add the eggs in the mozzarella, fresh garlic and cream cheese and combine. Add in the parmesan, then add in the dry ingredients and mix well. As the cheese cools, it can become more difficult to mix, so if that happens, microwave the dough for 10 seconds and it should be easier to mix.
- The dough will be very sticky, so be sure to oil your hands to make forming the bread sticks easier. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Then form into logs and divide into 16 breadsticks total and place on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper. Bake for 12 minutes on the top rack in your own, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Remove the breadsticks from the oven, and lightly brush olive oil over the tops. Bake for another 3 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving. You can serve as is, with a marinara sauce (see my homemade recipe) or sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.SHARE ON FACEBOOK
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the button above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.