Packed with plenty of flavor, this marinara is so versatile! It goes perfectly with homemade low carb mozzarella sticks, pizza bites or Keto breadsticks!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
If you like Italian food, but don’t want to overindulge in carbs, try this savory sugar free marinara sauce!
Packed with plenty of flavor, this Keto marinara sauce is so versatile, it goes perfectly with homemade mozzarella sticks, in pizza stuffed peppers, or along side these warm and chewy Keto breadsticks. You can also use it in this savory chicken parmesan, or serve as a gluten free spaghetti sauce over shirataki noodles, zoodles or Palmini noodles.
If you’ve ever walked down the sauce isle at the store, you’ve seen all the different brands of jarred marinara. So, I am often asked, “Why should I make my own marinara?” The answer is always the same, store bought brands almost always have added sugar and fillers and most of them are rather expensive.
The best way to ensure you’re getting a low carb marinara sauce with clean and quality ingredients is to make it homemade. This marinara sauce is unbelievably quick and simple to make. The flavors are so rich and robust that you’ll want to double or triple the batch to make extra for freezing so you will always have some on hand.
Ingredients for Quick and Easy Low Carb Marinara Sauce
- Organic crushed tomatoes
- Organic basil, chopped
- Fresh garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Swerve granular
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- White wine (I use Pinot Grigio)
- Optional: Red pepper flakes
How to Make Low Carb Marinara Sauce
Heat a small saucepan and add olive oil to coat the bottom. Sauté your minced garlic for about 30 seconds (do not brown it will become bitter). Add in the wine and stir, allow to reduce until most of the wine has evaporated.
Add in the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, Swerve and basil. Simmer on medium low for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
The sauce will begin to reduce and the flavors will start to intensify into the BEST Keto marinara sauce you’ve tried!
And just like that, you have a flavorful, low carb, Italian sauce without all the sugars and hidden ingredients of store bought!
Are There Carbs in Tomatoes?
Because there’s natural sugar in tomatoes, they do have a few carbs; however, for an average size tomato there are fewer than 5 grams.
Are Tomatoes Keto?
When eaten in moderation, you bet! Tomatoes are actually a fruit and they’re perfectly fine on Keto and low carb diets. Not only do they have minimal carbs, they are very nutritious.
Tomatoes are a fiber rich fruit that are also a good source of several vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, potassium, vitamin K, and folate. To learn all about the many healthy benefits of tomatoes, check out this article.
Serve the sauce on the side these homemade Keto breadsticks.
Or these low carb fried mozzarella sticks
Or use in this Keto Chicken Parmesan
You can also use it in this low carb Zucchini Lasagna with Italian Sausage!
More Keto and Low Carb Sauces…
- Easy Alfredo Sauce
- Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- Homemade Pesto
- Bang Bang Sauce
- Homemade Italian Meat Sauce
- Easy Cheese Sauce
Quick & Easy Marinara Sauce – Keto and Low Carb
- 28 oz can organic crushed tomatoes (no salt added/3 net carbs per 1/4 cup serving)
- 2 tablespoons fresh organic basil, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon swerve granular (or erythritol)
- Pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine (I use Pinot Grigio)
- *Optional: dash of red pepper flakes
- Heat a small saucepan and add olive oil. Sauté garlic for about 30 seconds (do not brown it will become bitter). Add in the wine and stir, allow to reduce until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, swerve and basil. Simmer on medium low for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.