All the flavors of lasagna made into a healthy low carb version and baked to cheesy perfection!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
I'll admit, I was on the fence about making this. I've been cooking Italian food, since I learned how to cook and always felt there was no replacement for pasta.
And while there really isn't an exact substitute, the zucchini in this Keto lasagna comes close!
I had a monstrous zucchini that grew in my garden and wasn't sure what to make with it and it just so happens, that it was the length of my baking dish!
Taking that as a hint, the idea for this low carb lasagna was born!
With all the traditional flavors of authentic Italian cuisine, this Keto zucchini lasagna is absolutely delicious! I'll most definitely be making it again and you should try it too!
What's in Gluten Free Lasagna with Zucchini
- Zucchini, sliced thing (with a mandolin or wide vegetable peeler)
- Homemade Italian Meat Sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Dried parsley
- Fresh basil
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Zucchini Lasagna
Preheat your oven to 400F.
Lightly salt the zucchini, place on a baking rack over a baking sheet.
Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on paper towels to drain. This is a key step, otherwise your lasagna will be watery.
Add the ricotta cheese, eggs, parmesan, basil, parsley, salt and pepper to a large bowl and mix until well combined.
Add some sauce to the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Add the slices of zucchini, then add some of the ricotta cheese mixture over the top. Add some of the meat sauce and smooth out with a spoon or spatula, then top with some mozzarella cheese.
Add more zucchini, ricotta cheese mixture, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers until all the zucchini is used. I ended up with about 7 layers because my slices were super thin.
I skipped the mozzarella on the last layer and doubled it on the top because, well who doesn't love a cheesy crust!? I also added a grating of parmesan cheese as well.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Turn the temperature up to 450 and bake 5-10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly golden. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into it and serving.
Leftovers are wonderful the next day! Just keep them in an airtight container in the fridge until you're ready to reheat it.
To reheat, just microwave it on 50% power until it has warmed through.
If you like vodka sauce, try this Zucchini Lasagna with Italian Sausage!
Are There Carbs in Zucchini?
In a medium sized zucchini, there's approximately 6 grams of carbs. It has 2 grams of fiber making the net carbs in zucchini around 4 grams per serving.
Substitutes for the Best Keto Lasagna
- You can grill the zucchini slices if you prefer. You'll want to make the slices slightly thicker to ensure they stay together while cooking. Pat them dry before assembling the lasagna. You can even grill the zucchini the day before you're ready to make the lasagna, just store in the fridge until you're ready.
- This Keto lasagna calls for mozzarella but feel free to add some chedder for a little sharper flavor.
- If you're in a pinch for time, there are several really good store-bought low carb marinara sauces available. Rao's is a brand that has relatively low carbs. Just make sure you get one with no added sugar. You'll need to adjust your macros accordingly.
- Though it would provide a much different flavor profile, you can use frozen spinach as the "pasta" layer. Just thaw frozen spinach and squeeze out all the water before using.
More Keto Zucchini Recipes
- Zucchini Noodle "Pasta" Salad
- Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Can I Freeze Low Carb Lasagna?
This gluten free lasagna recipe freezes really well. You can cook it and then divide it into portions in air tight container and store for up to several months or you can freeze the entire dish if you're meal prepping in advance.
If you're always looking for great meal prep ideas, this article, 25+ Meal Prep Ideas, has a lot of great ideas you'll find helpful.
More Keto Carb Italian Recipes
- Italian Breadsticks
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Skillet
- Baked Italian Meatballs
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Chicken Florentine Casserole
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
Keto Zucchini Lasagna
- Add the ricotta cheese, eggs, parmesan, basil, parsley, salt and pepper to a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add more zucchini, ricotta cheese mixture, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers until all the zucchini is used.I ended up with about 7 layers because my slices were super thin. I skipped the mozzarella on the last layer and doubled it on the top because, well who doesn't love a cheesy crust!? I also added a grating of parmesan cheese as well.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Turn the temperature up to 450 and bake 5-10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly golden. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into it and serving.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the buttons above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.