Fried nuggets of chicken breaded in a low carb and Keto friendly coating, baked in homemade marinara sauce and topped with gooey mozzarella cheese!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
This is a different take on the more traditional Chicken Parmesan that you used to make. Instead of chicken breasts filets, chicken is cut into bite size nuggets, breaded and made into a savory delicious casserole.
Homemade Marinara Sauce, grated parmesan cheese (which is also in the breading) and shredded mozzarella cheese is combined with delectable nuggets then baked into a delicious low carb casserole!
It’s ready when the cheese turns golden and the sauce is piping hot! Serve this Keto chicken parmesan with your favorite vegetable or salad.
The chicken gluten free breading used in this recipe is so full of flavor, you can actually use it to make just the chicken nuggets paired with your favorite Keto/low carb dipping sauce. Just be sure to cook the nuggets through on the stovetop.
Ingredients for Keto Parmesan Chicken
- Chicken breasts
- Mozzarella cheese
- Marinara Sauce
- Almond flour
- Pork rinds
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Dried parsley
- Dried basil
- Keto friendly oil (for frying)
- Salt and Pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Low Carb Chicken Parmesan
Preheat oven to 400F.
Add cubes of parmesan cheese and grind till you get a granular consistency, similar to the pork rinds.
Set up your breading station with the chicken, beaten eggs and breading mixture.
Make sure to cut the chicken into even chunks as you can to ensure they cook evenly.
Dip each piece of chicken into the egg and then into the breading mixture.
Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat and fry the chicken in a little bit of olive oil, for a few minutes on each side. They don’t need to be cooked through, they will finish cooking in the oven. Remove and allow to drain on paper towels.
Pour the nuggets into a large mixing bowl.
Add in the marinara sauce and 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese, then toss to combine.
Top with the remaining 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese.
Then add the 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, then bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is slightly golden.
Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Tips for Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- If you need to save a little time, you can use pork panko instead of grinding whole pork rinds.
- To reheat this Keto chicken casserole, tent it with foil and heat on 350F until warm.
- If you don’t have chicken breasts, you can use chicken tenders cut into even sized cubes.
- Freshly grated parmesan melts really well; however, you can use pre-shredded. Just make sure you read the label to check for added preservatives or anti-caking ingredients that are not recommended for Keto or low carb diets.
Chicken Parmesan FAQs
Can I have parmesan on Keto? You sure can! This tasty cheese provides you with healthy fats, protein and is a good source of potassium, which is a key nutrient on Keto.
Can I use parmesan instead of breadcrumbs? Using parmesan as a sole breading ingredient does not work very well. By adding a little almond flour and panko, you create a breading that will adhere to the chicken much better.
How many carbs in chicken parmesan? There’s approximately 1.2 net carbs per 1 ounce serving.
Is panko Keto friendly? Traditional panko bread crumbs are definitely not Keto approved. But using pork panko or crushed pork rinds you’re saving all those carbs but keeping a great coating when you need one.
Can I freeze Keto chicken parmesan casserole? Yes, this casserole freezes beautifully. Just add leftovers to an airtight freezer container and store in the freezer for up to a couple of months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat on 350F when ready to eat.
More Italian Inspired Recipes
- Chicken Parmesan
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Shrimp Alla Vodka
- Italian Breadsticks
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Skillet
- Baked Italian Meatballs
Also be sure to try this Italian Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast!
More Keto and Low Carb Casseroles
- Loaded Creamy Cauliflower Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Easy Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Chicken Florentine Casserole
- Chicken Alfredo Casserole
Chicken Parmesan Casserole – Keto, Low Carb & Gluten Free
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- For the Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup ground pork rinds plain
- 11/4 cups grated parmesan cheese divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- Keto friendly oil of your choice for frying- I used olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grind the pork rinds in a food processor or mini chopper. Remove and set aside. Add cubes of parmesan cheese and grind till you get a granular consistency, similar to the pork rinds.
- Add all the dry ingredients (including 1 cup of the grated parmesan cheese, reserving 1/4 cup) in a bowl and mix using a hand whisk or fork, until well combined.
- Set up your breading station with the chicken, beaten eggs and breading mixture. Dip each piece of chicken into the egg and then into the breading mixture.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat and fry the chicken in a little bit of olive oil, for a few minutes on each side. They don’t need to be cooked through, they will finish cooking in the oven. Remove and allow to drain on paper towels. Pour the nuggets into a large mixing bowl. Add in the marinara sauce and 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese, then toss to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 9″ x 14″ casserole or glass baking dish that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, then bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is slightly golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.