Classic creamy vodka sauce with jumbo juicy shrimp served over zucchini noodles and topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
Traditional pasta alla vodka is a recipe I have been making for years. I recently created a delicious Keto-friendly version that’s incredibly easy to make. It’s packed with so much flavor that anyone you serve this to will think it took you hours to prepare.
If you’re following a Keto diet, “traditional pasta,” is not an option for a low carb shrimp recipe. As a fabulous substitute, this healthy shrimp recipe uses spiralized zucchini. You can also use Palmini noodles or spiralized butternut squash.
The sauce is a beautiful pink color, with savory chunks of prosciutto and basil peeking through.
Topped with jumbo shrimp over a bed of zucchini noodles, this easy Keto meal is the perfect comfort food for any night of the week.
Ingredients to Make Keto Shrimp alla Vodka
- Jumbo shrimp
- Prosciutto, diced
- Organic crushed tomatoes
- Organic diced tomatoes (no salt added/low carb)
- Heavy whipping cream
- Vodka (no flavor)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Keto Shrimp alla Vodka
Start off by heating a large pot to medium, add olive oil and prosciutto.
Sauté the prosciutto for 2 minutes or until it begins to get some color, then add in the garlic to cook for an additional minute, being careful not to burn the garlic or it’ll become bitter!
Deglaze your pot with the vodka, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
Allow the vodka to reduce slightly, then add in the tomato sauce, dried basil, parsley, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Cook on medium low heat with an offset lid for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the sauce is cooking, you can prepare your zucchini noodles, or “zoodles”.
If you decide to use Palmini, noodles, you’ll want to rinse them under cold water for about 5 minutes before adding them to your dish.
Cut each end off the zucchini and spiralize using a Veggie Spiralizer. Cut into traditional spaghetti size pieces and set aside.
After 25 minutes of cooking the sauce, add in the shrimp and cook for 5 more minutes or until the shrimp become firm.
Place the zucchini noodles, butternut squash noodles or Palmini onto your plate, top with the shrimp and sauce, then add some fresh grated parmesan cheese. Garnish with some fresh basil leaves.
If you have leftovers or want to double the batch, this creamy low carb tomato sauce freezes and reheats beautifully!
Are There Carbs in Shrimp?
Shrimp are very low in carbs. In fact, there’s approximately 1 gram of carbohydrates in 6 ounces of cooked shrimp!
Are Shrimp Keto Friendly?
Absolutely! Not only are shrimp very low carb and low calorie, they’re packed with nutrition. The amount of protein in shrimp is very impressive, making up over 70% of their calories.
They’re a good source of selenium, B12 and iron. If you’d like to read more about the nutrition in shrimp, check out this article.
More Keto Shrimp Recipes:
- Grilled Lime Cilantro Shrimp Skewers
- Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- Creamy Shrimp Alfredo
- Keto Shrimp Scampi with Cauliflower Rice
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Keto Fried Shrimp
Tips for Buying Shrimp for the Best Vodka Sauce Recipe
- Try to always buy fresh, wild caught shrimp when possible.
- If you have to buy frozen, look at the ingredients. It should just say, “shrimp and water.”
- For this Keto Shrimp alla Vodka recipe, jumbo shrimp are recommended, which are 16-20 count shrimp. This means they’re 16-20 shrimp per pound.
- To make this recipe in a jiffy, select shrimp that have already been split down the spine. This makes peeling so much easier.
- Don’t be afraid to ask to touch and smell the shrimp at your grocery store or fish market. You want to avoid shrimp with a strong “shrimpy,” or ammonia-like smell or those with a slimy or soft texture.
More Keto and Low Carb Italian inspired recipes…
- Chicken Parmesan
- Italian Breadsticks
- Homemade Marinara
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Baked Italian Meatballs
- Italian Beef Braciole
Shrimp alla Vodka – Keto and Low Carb
- 1 pound raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces of thinly sliced prosciutto, diced
- 28 ounce can organic crushed tomatoes (no salt added/low carb)
- 15 ounce can of organic diced tomatoes (no salt added/low carb)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup vodka (no flavor)
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese for topping
- zucchini, spiralized into “spaghetti” about 1/2 per person
- Heat a large skillet to medium, add olive oil and prosciutto. Sauté the prosciutto for 2 minutes, then add in the garlic to cook for an additional minute. Careful not to brown the garlic or it will become bitter! Deglaze the pan with the vodka, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Allow the vodka to reduce slightly, then add in the tomato sauce, dried basil, parsley, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Cook on medium low heat with an offset lid for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is cooking, you can prepare your zucchini noodles, or “zoodles”. Cut each end off the zucchini and spiralize using a Veggie Spiralizer. Cut into traditional spaghetti size pieces and set aside.
- After 25 minutes of cooking the sauce, add in the shrimp and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the zucchini noodles onto your plate, top with the shrimp and grated parmesan cheese. Garnish with some fresh basil leaves.