Classic creamy vodka sauce with jumbo juicy shrimp served over zucchini noodles and topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
Traditional pasta alla vodka is a recipe I have been making for years. I recently created a delicious Keto-friendly version that's incredibly easy to make. It's packed with so much flavor that anyone you serve this to will think it took you hours to prepare.
If you're following a Keto diet, "traditional pasta," is not an option for a low carb shrimp recipe. As a fabulous substitute, this healthy shrimp recipe uses spiralized zucchini. You can also use Palmini noodles or spiralized butternut squash.
Having since made this recipe, I have experimented more and more with Palmini Pasta. I have to say, it has become my favorite pasta substitute. The texture reminds me of al dente pasta but with it being hearts of palm pasta, there are NO grains making it a perfect Keto option..
And the great thing about it is Palmini comes in different widths. They have Palmini Linguini size noodles and they even have Palmini Lasagna sized noodles.
The sauce is a beautiful pink color, with savory chunks of prosciutto and basil peeking through.
Topped with jumbo shrimp over a bed of zucchini noodles, this easy Keto meal is the perfect comfort food for any night of the week.
What's in Keto Shrimp alla Vodka
- Jumbo shrimp
- Crushed tomatoes
- Diced tomatoes
- Heavy whipping cream
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Shrimp alla Vodka
Start off by heating a large pot to medium, add olive oil and prosciutto.
Sauté the prosciutto for 2 minutes or until it begins to get some color, then add in the garlic to cook for an additional minute, being careful not to burn the garlic or it'll become bitter!
Deglaze your pot with the vodka, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
Allow the vodka to reduce slightly, then add in the tomato sauce, dried basil, parsley, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Cook on medium low heat with an offset lid for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the sauce is cooking, you can prepare your zucchini noodles, or "zoodles".
If you decide to use Palmini, noodles, you'll want to rinse them under cold water for about 5 minutes before adding them to your dish.
Cut each end off the zucchini and spiralize using a Veggie Spiralizer. Cut into traditional spaghetti size pieces and set aside.
After 25 minutes of cooking the sauce, add in the shrimp and cook for 5 more minutes or until the shrimp become firm.
Place the zucchini noodles, butternut squash noodles or Palmini onto your plate, top with the shrimp and sauce, then add some fresh grated parmesan cheese. Garnish with some fresh basil leaves.
If you have leftovers or want to double the batch, this creamy low carb tomato sauce freezes and reheats beautifully!
Are There Carbs in Shrimp?
Shrimp are very low in carbs. In fact, there's approximately 1 gram of carbohydrates in 6 ounces of cooked shrimp!
Are Shrimp Keto Friendly?
Absolutely! Not only are shrimp very low carb and low calorie, they're packed with nutrition. The amount of protein in shrimp is very impressive, making up over 70% of their calories.
They're a good source of selenium, B12 and iron. If you'd like to read more about the nutrition in shrimp, check out this article.
More Keto Shrimp Recipes
- Grilled Lime Cilantro Shrimp Skewers
- Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- Creamy Shrimp Alfredo
- Keto Shrimp Scampi with Cauliflower Rice
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Keto Fried Shrimp
Tips for Buying Shrimp for the Best Vodka Sauce Recipe
- Try to always buy fresh, wild caught shrimp when possible.
- If you have to buy frozen, look at the ingredients. It should just say, "shrimp and water."
- For this Keto Shrimp alla Vodka recipe, jumbo shrimp are recommended, which are 16-20 count shrimp. This means they're 16-20 shrimp per pound.
- To make this recipe in a jiffy, select shrimp that have already been split down the spine. This makes peeling so much easier.
- Don't be afraid to ask to touch and smell the shrimp at your grocery store or fish market. You want to avoid shrimp with a strong "shrimpy," or ammonia-like smell or those with a slimy or soft texture.
More Keto and Low Carb Italian inspired Recipes
- Chicken Parmesan
- Italian Breadsticks
- Homemade Marinara
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Baked Italian Meatballs
- Italian Beef Braciole
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Shrimp alla Vodka
- 1 pound raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces of thinly sliced prosciutto, diced
- 28 ounce can organic crushed tomatoes (no salt added/low carb)
- 15 ounce can of organic diced tomatoes (no salt added/low carb)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup vodka (no flavor)
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese for topping
- zucchini, spiralized into “spaghetti”, about ½ per person
- Heat a large skillet to medium, add olive oil and prosciutto. Sauté the prosciutto for 2 minutes, then add in the garlic to cook for an additional minute. Careful not to brown the garlic or it will become bitter! Deglaze the pan with the vodka, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Allow the vodka to reduce slightly, then add in the tomato sauce, dried basil, parsley, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Cook on medium low heat with an offset lid for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is cooking, you can prepare your zucchini noodles, or "zoodles". Cut each end off the zucchini and spiralize using a Veggie Spiralizer. Cut into traditional spaghetti size pieces and set aside.
- After 25 minutes of cooking the sauce, add in the shrimp and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the zucchini noodles onto your plate, top with the shrimp and grated parmesan cheese. Garnish with some fresh basil leaves.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.