Homemade Alfredo sauce is so easy to make, with lots of cream and parmesan cheese. Serve over zucchini noodles, this Low Carb dinner is also gluten-free, creamy and delicious!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
This Alfredo sauce is out of this world fantastic! Smooth and creamy from Mascarpone cheese and packed with freshly grated parmesan cheese flavor. It only takes minutes to make and though this is a low carb shrimp recipe, you can certainly make it with chicken, if you’d like.
Who says just because you follow Keto or a low carb diet you have to miss out on all the delicious and savory flavors of shrimp Alfredo? Not with this low carb shrimp recipe! You’ll enjoy all those traditional flavors and will have a favorite weeknight comfort food that is easy to prepare and can be on the table in a snap.
Make sure you serve this healthy shrimp recipe with a generous amount of grated Parmesan cheese on top for an added burst of flavor.
Ingredients Needed to Make this Keto Shrimp Recipe
To get started, you will need to pick up a few items…
- Mascarpone Cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Grass-fed butter
- Heavy Cream
- Olive oil
- Fresh Garlic
- Fresh parsley
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Shrimp Alfredo
Start by heating a large skillet on medium heat.
Add in the butter and olive oil. When the butter has melted, add in the shrimp.
Sauté them for a few minutes, flipping them every few seconds until they are just turning pink, then remove them and set aside.
Add the minced garlic into the butter and olive oil and sauté it for about 20 seconds, careful not to burn it!
Next, just add in the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking while stirring often.
Simmer on low for about 5 minutes or until thickened to your liking. This low carb sauce does not need to cook long at all, that’s the beauty of it!
When the sauce is thickened, add the shrimp and cook for about a minute, tossing to coat them well.
You have several choices in ways to serve this. You can serve it over Palmini noodles, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash or shirataki noodles!
No matter which one you choose, this creamy Keto sauce will steal the show!
I have served this dish several ways and it’s always equally scrumptious.
With zoodles, I make them using the OXO Spiralizer. I heat the zoodles for 40 seconds in the microwave, pat them dry and toss in the shrimp and Alfredo sauce.
When using Palmini noodles, I rinse them really well under cold water for about 5 minutes, then just toss them with the shrimp and Alfredo sauce.
To finish, garnish with a little, or A LOT, of grated parmesan cheese and some freshly chopped parsley!
Tips for Buying Shrimp for Keto Shrimp Alfredo
- Look for fresh, domestic, wild-caught shrimp when available.
- If you have to buy frozen, look at the ingredients. It should just say, “shrimp and water.”
- Though jumbo shrimp are my personal favorite, for this recipe, you’ll want a pick a medium size, or 31-35 count. This ensures the perfect sauce to shrimp ratio.
- To make this recipe in a jiffy, select shrimp that have are already peeled and deveined. If you can’t find them already peeled, look for ones that have been split down the spine. This makes peeling so much easier.
- Don’t be afraid to ask to touch and smell the shrimp at your grocery store or fish market. You want to avoid shrimp with a strong “shrimpy,” or ammonia-like smell or those with a slimy or soft texture.
Are There Carbs in Shrimp?
Shrimp are very low in carbs. In fact, there’s approximately 1 gram of carbohydrates in 6 ounces of cooked shrimp!
More Keto Shrimp Recipes:
- Grilled Lime Cilantro Shrimp Skewers
- Shrimp alla Vodka
- Keto Shrimp Scampi with Cauliflower Rice
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Spicy Shrimp in Lettuce Wraps
- Keto Fried Shrimp
Are Shrimp Keto Friendly?
You bet they are! Not only are shrimp very low carb and low calorie, they’re packed with nutrition. The amount of protein in shrimp is very impressive, making up over 70% of their calories. They’re a good source of selenium, B12 and iron. If you’d like to read more about the nutrition in shrimp, check out this article.
Creamy Shrimp Alfredo – Keto and Low Carb
- 20 ounces medium shrimp peeled, deveined and tails off
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese grated
- 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add in the butter and olive oil, then add in the shrimp. Sauté for a few minutes, until they are just turning pink, then remove and set aside.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for about 20 seconds, careful not to burn it! Then add in the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking while stirring often.
- Simmer on low for about 5 minutes or until thickened to your liking. Add the shrimp back in for about a minute, tossing to coat in the sauce.
- Pour over zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash or shirataki noodles and serve!