Perfectly cooked chicken in the Instant Pot then smothered in a rich and creamy marsala wine and mushroom sauce that is packed with incredible flavor!
One of my favorite Italian dishes before Keto was chicken marsala served over angel hair or spaghetti noodles. I love the flavors so much I knew I would have to come up with a low carb version that, not only I would love just as much, but one my family would love as well.
This chicken marsala in an Instant Pot and it's so creamy and full of flavor. ! The chicken is fork tender and the mouth-watering mascarpone cheese sauce coats each piece perfectly.
Because it's served over zoodles, cauliflower rice or any of your favorite low carb vegetables, it's such an amazing Keto version of Chicken Marsala, no one will every know the difference.
If you're wanting a hearty comfort meal, this low carb easy one pot meal is absolutely delicious and could not be easier to make.
What's in Instant Pot Keto Chicken Marsala
- Chicken breasts
- Baby Bella mushrooms
- Chicken stock
- Mascarpone cheese
- Heavy cream
- Marsala wine
- Garlic cloves
- Dried basil
- Fresh parsley
- Olive oil
- Xanthan Gum
- Salt & pepper to taste
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Keto Chicken Marsala
Start by turning the Instant Pot setting to sauté. If you don't have the Instant Pot, the Ninja Foodie or other pressure cooker works just as well.
Next, add in the the olive oil and allow it it to heat it slightly. Next, add in the chicken, basil, salt and pepper, and sauté about 3 minutes on each side.
Remove the chicken and set aside.
Add the butter to the heated pot and allow it to melt. Add in and sauté the mushrooms.
Allow them to get some good color, then remove and set aside. Add in the garlic and sauté for 20 seconds, careful not to burn it!
Deglaze the pot with the marsala wine, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom.
Stir in the chicken stock and most of the parsley (reserving some for garnish), then add the chicken and mushrooms back in. Turn off the instant pot and set to pressure cook for 10 minutes, then instant release the pressure.
Remove the chicken and mushrooms, then set the Instant Pot back to the sauté setting.
Stir in the Mascarpone cheese, heavy cream and Xanthan gum.
Then add the chicken back in and cook an additional 5-8 minutes or until thickened.
At this point and before I serve it, I taste the sauce and make sure it is salted enough. Who am I kidding, I just taste it to be tasting it and you'll want to as well when that amazing aroma begins to fill your kitchen.
Serve with your favorite veggie or zucchini noodles and enjoy! A good pasta substitute that I recently started using is Palmini Noodles and I have to say it has become my favorite.
Palmini Pasta is made from hearts of palm. When cooked, it resembles linguini with a very similar al dente texture. But here is the great thing, with only 4 total grams of carbs compared to 42 carb grams in a traditional serving of pasta it makes an incredible pasta substitute.
And the great thing about it is it comes in different widths. They have Palmini Linguini size noodles and they even have Palmini Lasagna sized noodles.
What is the Best Wine to use for Chicken Marsala?
As in the name, Marsala wine gives this dish a distinct robust flavor. However, there are other wines you can use in its place. You will want a dry red wine like Madeira or port.
Alternately, if you choose to not use wine at all, you can add an equivalent amount of additional chicken stock.
Is Instant Pot Chicken Marsala Keto?
It sure is. It's primarily healthy fat and protein. Along with the added nutrients from mushrooms and zucchini noodles and with only 2 net carbs per serving, those on Keto or a low carb diet, could consider the perfect meal.
How Do I Thicken Chicken Marsala?
In this recipe, Mascarpone cheese and Xanthan gum is used thicken the sauce in place of flour as found in the traditional recipe. You could also use cream cheese, but that does effect the carb count and it also gives the sauce a bit of a tangier flavor.
If you find that your sauce is still a little loose, add a little more Xanthan gum, but be very careful because a little bit goes a long way.
Can I Freeze Keto Chicken Marsala?
Because this sauce in this Instant Pot Chicken Marsala is made with heavy cream and Mascarpone, it's best when served fresh. However, if you have leftovers, you can freeze it. Just store in an air tight container for up to a couple of months.
To reheat Instant Pot Chicken Marsala, thaw it in the fridge over night first. Then, before you're ready to serve, reheat slowly stove top as you whisk the sauce to reincorporate the cream with the other ingredients.
The Instant Pot model that I have is the Instant Pot DUO80 8 Quart 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
More Keto Instant Pot Recipes
Life seems much easier since I learned how great the Instant Pot cooks all my favorites much faster and with amazing flavor. If you're looking for additional low carb recipes made in your Instant Pot, here are some of my favorites that may give you some inspiration:
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
- Instant Pot No-Bean Chili
- Easy Instant Pot "Roasted" Chicken
- Instant Pot One Hour Chicken Stock
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Best Instant Pot Roast with Gravy
- Instant Pot Ropa Vieja
- Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
More Keto Chicken Recipes
Chicken is such a versatile and easy protein to cook. It takes on the flavor of most anything you cook it with making it excellent for creating some of the best Keto savory recipes. Check out of these all time favorites:
- Thai Red Curry Coconut Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Chicken with Rosemary Citrus Glaze
- Keto Chicken Tenders
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
- Keto Chicken Pot Pie
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Tuscan Skillet
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Florentine Skillet
- Creamy Chicken Poblano Chicken
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, sliced into large chunks
- 8 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms, or button, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ⅔ cup marsala wine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Turn the instant pot setting to sauté. Add in the the olive oil, chicken, basil, salt and pepper, and sauté about 3 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the butter to the pot and sauté the mushrooms.
- Allow them to get some good color, then remove and set aside. Add in the garlic and sauté for 20 seconds, careful not to burn it! Deglaze the pot with the marsala wine, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom.
- Stir in the chicken stock and most of the parsley (reserving some for garnish), then add the chicken and mushrooms back in. Turn off the instant pot and set to pressure cook for 10 minutes, then instant release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken and mushrooms, then set the instant pot back to the sauté setting . Stir in the mascarpone cheese, heavy cream and Xanthan Gum, then add the chicken back in and cook an additional 5-8 minutes or until thickened. Serve with your favorite veggie or zucchini noodles and enjoy!
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.Save 60% OFF EBOOK BUNDLE
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.