Tender and juicy chunks of chicken with a delectable creamy Indian sauce that's super easy to make in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
If you've never had butter chicken before, this is a great recipe to try! It's made right in your Instant Pot and it couldn't be any easier!
The sauce is rich and creamy with a signature butter chicken flavor from garam masala, Serve it with this Cilantro Cauliflower Rice (minus the lime) for a complete meal.
This is varies from the authentic recipe, but it's an excellent low carb butter chicken version! Garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro and you have a beautiful and tasty dish!
What's in Instant Pot Keto Butter Chicken
- Chicken stock
- Tomato paste
- Heavy cream
- Mascarpone cheese
- Ground turmeric
- Ground cinnamon
- Garam masala
- Smoked paprika
- Mild flavored oil
- Salt and pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Butter Chicken
Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté setting.
Add the oil and chicken to the pot and sear the chicken for a few minutes. Once it has browned a little on each side, remove from the Instant Pot and set it aside.
Add in the ginger and garlic and half the butter, then sauté for about 20 seconds, careful not to burn it!
Next, in goes all the spices and allow to toast for another 20 seconds, while stirring.
Pour in the water, chicken stock, tomato paste, give it a good stir. Put the chicken back in and stir again, scraping up all those brown bits of goodness on the bottom of the pot.
Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook for 10 minutes. Once the time is up, do a quick release on the pressure.
Remove the chicken and set aside.
Stir in the heavy cream, mascarpone cheese and the rest of the butter, then whisk to combine. Add the chicken back in and turn the Instant Pot back onto the sauté setting.
Cook for 7-10 minutes, uncovered, stirring often.
Right before the Keto Butter Chicken is done, go ahead and make your cauliflower rice. Serve with the chicken and sauce over the top.
For a final touch, garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and enjoy!
What is Butter Chicken?
Traditional Butter Chicken is an Indian dish that gets it unique flavor from a tomato, buttery creamy sauce and garam masala, a typical Indian spice blend.
And while the traditional recipe takes a good but of time to make, this Butter Chicken recipe, is cooked in the Instant Pot and can be ready in no time.
How Do I Store Leftover Keto Butter Chicken?
Low carb Butter Chicken will keep in the fridge for several days. To reheat, but warm it in a skillet on top of the stove.
Can I Freeze Low Carb Butter Chicken?
You sure can, which makes this Butter Chicken recipe excellent for a meal prep idea. Just place leftovers in air tight container and store in the freezer for up to a couple of months. To reheat, thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat in the microwave or stove top until warmed.
If you like this as a meal prep ideas, check out 25 Keto Meal Prepping Ideas for additional tips.
Is Butter Chicken Keto?
This Butter Chicken recipe is a low carb and Keto friendly version. With only 9 net carbs per serving, anyone on Keto or low carb diets will be able to enjoy this dish without all the extra carbs.
Substitutions for Keto Butter Chicken
- If you don't have homemade chicken stock, a good quality Chicken Bone Broth makes an excellent substitute.
- If you're unable to find garam marsala, you can use curry powder. Though they do have different flavors, curry powder will work well if needed.
- This low carb Butter chicken recipe is served over cauliflower rice in place of regular rice, but feel free to serve it with any low veggie of your choice.
- Mascarpone cheese gives the sauce a rich and creamy texture. If you can't find Mascarpone, you can use cream cheese. It will have a few more carbs so be sure to take than into account.
The Instant Pot model that I have is the Instant Pot DUO80 8 Quart 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
More Keto Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot No-Bean Chili
- Easy Instant Pot "Roasted" Chicken
- Instant Pot One Hour Chicken Stock
- Best Instant Pot Roast with Gravy
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Instant Pot Ropa Vieja
- Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
Keto Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, diced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup butter, softened and divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 tablespoons mild flavored oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté setting. Add the oil and chicken to the pot and sear the chicken for a few minutes, then remove. Sauté the ginger and garlic in half the butter for about 20 seconds, careful not to burn it! Then add in all the spices and allow to toast for another 20 seconds, while stirring.
- Pour in the water, chicken stock, tomato paste and add the chicken back in. Scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook for 10 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken and set aside. Stir in the heavy cream, mascarpone cheese and the rest of the butter, then whisk to combine. Add the chicken back in and turn the Instant Pot back onto the sauté setting. Cook for 7-10 minutes, uncovered, stirring often.
- Once the cauliflower rice is cooked, serve with the chicken and sauce over the top. Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy! Store leftovers in the fridge for a few days or freeze.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the buttons above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.