Risotto gets a Keto friendly makeover using cauliflower rice. It's easy to make, super creamy and absolutely delicious!
This dish is absolutely delicious! As someone who has been making traditional risotto for years, I was hesitant to transform my old recipe into a Keto friendly version. I thought for sure, there would be no way it could measure up, but I was pleasantly surprised!
Without the starch from Arborio rice, which makes risotto super creamy, I added mascarpone to compensate and topped it off with a generous amount of freshly grated parmesan! And the result was nothing short of amazing!
The nice thing about this dish, is it cooks in less than half the time of traditional risotto, and has zero guilt you'll have with traditional risotto!
What's in Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto
- Riced cauliflower
- Mascarpone cheese
- Stock (chicken or vegetable)
- Parmesan cheese
- Grass-fed butter
- Olive oil
- White wine
- Salt and pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto
Add the butter and olive oil to a large skillet and once melted, add in the mushrooms.
Sauté until they have some good color, about 5 minutes. I like to hold a small amount aside to use as a garnish, but this is optional.
Add in the garlic, sauté for about 20 seconds, careful not to burn it. Add in the white wine and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add in the cauliflower, salt, pepper and stock, cook uncovered for about 5-6 minutes or until it reaches your desired texture. I prefer mine a little al dente.
Stir in the mascarpone cheese, heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
Garnish with the remaining mushrooms, parmesan cheese, fresh parsley and serve.
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for a day or two. You can freeze leftovers, but this recipe is best when served freshly made.
Can I Use Frozen Cauliflower Rice?
While I prefer the taste for freshly riced cauliflower, if you are needing to save a little time, you can certainly use frozen. You'll want to cook some of the moisture out of it though.
Should I Defrost Cauliflower Rice?
Yes, you can thaw the cauliflower rice first and drain it well before cooking. If you don't drain it first, you run the risk of your risotto being too watery, rather than nice and creamy.
Is Cauliflower Rice Allowed on Keto?
Absolutely, in fact, cauliflower is one of the superfoods for Keto! There are many health benefits to cauliflower. It's packed with fiber, and many vitamins and minerals, including potassium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, calcium, sodium, zinc, folate, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamins B complex, C, K and E!
Does Cauliflower Rice Have Carbs? How Many Carbs in Cauliflower Rice?
Yes, but it also has lots of fiber, so there are only about 3 net carbs in 1 cup of cauliflower rice.
Substitutions for Keto Cauliflower Rice Risotto
The great news about this recipe is it's super versatile. Here are a few commonly asked questions about substitutions:
- Can I substitute the mascarpone cheese? The closest in texture would be cream cheese. While you can certainly use cream cheese, just be aware it will change the flavor quite a bit. Mascarpone has such a mild flavor (which is why I use it so often) and a lot less carbs than cream cheese.
- What can I use instead of wine? The white wine adds a certain depth of flavor that really makes this taste much like risotto. But if you'd rather use something else in its place, you can add the same amount of additional chicken stock.
- Do I have to use homemade vegetable or chicken stock? I always try to keep frozen homemade stock on hand just in case I need some for recipes like this one. However, if you don't have any and are short on time you can use a good quality chicken bone broth in its place.
- What other cheese can I use? Parmesan is the most popular but Asiago or Romano both work really well with the other ingredients in the recipe also.
Is Cauliflower Rice Good?
Absolutely! And the good news is, there are so many creative ways to make cauliflower rice to give it loads of flavor! Here are some other really great Keto cauliflower rice recipes:
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Pork Fried Cauliflower Rice
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Chorizo and Pepper Cauliflower Rice
Also be sure to try these Keto Cauliflower Tots!
More Keto Side Dishes
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Creamed Spinach
- Lime Cilantro Cauliflower Rice
- Green Beans Almondine
- Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto
- 4 cups riced cauliflower
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- ⅓ cup white wine, I use Pinot Grigio
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup stock (vegetable or chicken)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add the butter and olive oil to a large skillet and once melted, add in the mushrooms. Sauté until they have some good color, about 5 minutes. I like to hold a small amount aside to use as a garnish, but this is optional.
- Add in the garlic, sauté for about 20 seconds, careful not to burn it. Add in the white wine and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the cauliflower, salt, pepper and stock, cook uncovered for about 5-6 minutes or until it reaches your desired texture. I prefer mine a little al dente.
- Stir in the mascarpone, heavy cream and parmesan cheeses, just until melted and combined. Garnish with the remaining mushrooms, parmesan cheese, fresh parsley and serve.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.Save 60% OFF EBOOK BUNDLE
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.
*Originally published on September 17, 2018, updated on October 13, 2021 with improvements to the recipe, new photos and helpful tips.