Who says you can’t have a healthy breakfast on the run? Chorizo, pepper and eggs baked into little muffin cups are the perfect grab and go option!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
These little egg muffin cups are perfect for those busy mornings when you need something quick. Take one out of the fridge, pop in the microwave for a minute and you’re ready to go.
Change things up from the traditional scrambled eggs and bacon breakfast, and give these low carb egg muffins a try!
The chorizo and red pepper give them a little extra kick of flavor they need to make them an excellent Keto breakfast all in one muffin!
What’s in Keto Breakfast Muffins?
- Chorizo sausage
- Red peppers
- Frozen spinach
- Heavy cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Dried cilantro
- Garlic salt
- Cayenne pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Chorizo Breakfast Muffins
Preheat oven to 375F
Add in the remaining ingredients and mix by hand until well incorporated.
Then add in the heavy cream, cilantro, garlic salt and cayenne pepper. Continue mixing until well combined. If you’d like a little less spice, hold back some on the cayenne, or you can leave it out all together.
Bake 18-20 minutes or until eggs are set. Allow the muffins to cool slightly before removing them from the muffin liners. All that’s needed now is a hot cup of coffee!
If you love chorizo, you may want to give this Chorizo and Pepper Cauliflower a try! The flavors are the same incredible flavors you find in these muffins!
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to a week.
Can I Freeze Keto Sausage Muffins?
Absolutely! These egg and chorizo muffins freeze perfectly. Just allow them to cool completely. Drop them in a freezer bag and store for up to a couple of months.
To reheat them, you can take them out the night before and place them in the fridge, then heat them in the microwave for about 45 seconds to a minute, depending on your microwave.
You can also heat them directly out of the freezer. Just heat for a little longer. If you want to reheat several at one time, you can place the frozen low carb breakfast muffins on a sheet pan, and place in a 350F oven heated through.
Because these Keto breakfast muffins freeze so well, they are excellent for meal planning. If you’d like to know more great meal prep tips, check out this article, 25 Keto Meal Prepping Ideas.
Variations of Keto Breakfast Muffins
Honestly, there is no way to mess up these breakfast muffin cups. Change up the protein or veggie to your liking! They are so versatile and can be catered to your personal tastes using whatever spices you enjoy as well.
Here are some ideas to give you some inspiration:
- You can use regular breakfast sausage in place of the chorizo. Check the label for added sugar and/or dextrose. You’ll want to avoid those ingredients if you’re on Keto or a low carb diet.
- Cheddar can be replaced with any of your favorite melting cheese. Some of my favorites are Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, Provolone and Mozzarella.
- Roasted red pepper really gives these breakfast cups a unique flavor. But if you want a stronger pepper flavor, roasted green peppers can be used. You can even you roasted poblano peppers if you’d like.
- If you like onion, you can add diced yellow or even chopped green onion to these muffins.
- If you don’t care for spinach, you can add steamed broccoli. Make sure you have drained out the moisture as much as you can to keep it from making the muffins soggy. You omit it all together if you prefer.
- If you’re enjoying these low carb breakfast muffins at home, just a few freshly diced tomatoes are a nice touch.
What is Chorizo?
Chorizo is a type of Mexican sausage that gets its spiciness from chili peppers. It’s usually made from pork (sometimes it’s made from beef) and is typically sold raw. It is typically sold in a casing though sometimes you can find it ground.
Chorizo is sold raw and because the eggs and cheese cook quickly in this recipe, the sausage will need to be cooked prior to adding it to most any Keto breakfast muffin batter.
Are Eggs Keto? What are the Carbs in Eggs
Are they ever! Eggs are a Keto superfood. With only 1 gram of carbs, they are perfect for any meal on Keto or low carb diets.
One of the many benefits to egg on Keto is they gives the body a sense of fullness. And the yolks are the best part for the Keto as they are rich in fats.
Eggs have many other benefits. Whole eggs are truly one of the most nutritious foods you can eat. They contain a little bit of almost every nutrient you need.
Pasture raised eggs are even healthier and are now available in most every grocery store. To read more about all the health benefits of eggs, checkout this article from Healthline.
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
- Bacon, Egg and Pepper Pinwheels
- Blueberry Lemon Scones
- Sausage & Pepper Breakfast Casserole
- Italian Sausage and Spinach Quiche
- Homemade Waffles
- Fluffy Pancakes
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole
More Low Carb Muffin Recipes
- Salted Caramel Collagen Muffins
- Snickerdoodle Muffins
- Mock Apple Muffins
- Cranberry Sauce and Walnut Muffins
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins
Chorizo and Pepper Egg Muffin Cups- Keto and Low Carb
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Add the eggs to a bowl and beat using an immersion blender, whisk or fork. Add in the heavy cream, cilantro, garlic salt and cayenne pepper. Continue mixing until well combined.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix by hand. Scoop into a silicone muffin liners or a muffin pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake 18-20 minutes or until eggs are set.