Sweet Italian sausage, spinach, juicy tomatoes and lots of cheese baked in a gluten free crust is perfect for a special breakfast or brunch!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
Looking for something different for breakfast? This quiche has fantastic flavor and could not be easier to make!
There’s no need to skip the crust in this quiche. This almond flour crust is low carb and it only takes a few minutes to put together.
Sweet Italian sausage, spinach, juicy tomatoes, parmesan and tangy goat cheese fill this easy crust making this recipe a savory and delicious Keto quiche that you can have on the table in less that 45 minutes!
The best part is, if you have other ingredients on hand to use, you can substitute just about any part of the filling! If you have leftover veggies that you want to use up, add them to this quiche!
Ingredients for Keto Quiche
- Super fine almond flour
- Grass-fed unsalted butter
- Sweet Italian sausage
- Frozen spinach
- Heavy cream
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Goat cheese
- Grape tomatoes
- Fresh lemon thyme (or thyme)
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Sausage Spinach Quiche
To Make the Gluten Free Quiche Crust
Preheat oven to 350F.
Add the almond flour, butter and egg to the bowl of a food processor and mix until a dough is formed.
Place the dough in a 9″ non-stick tart pan with a removable bottom and press out, going up the sides.
Prick the dough with a fork and cover with parchment paper and either pie weights or dried beans.
Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the parchment paper/weights and allow to cool slightly before filling.
To Make the Low Carb Quiche Filling
Add in the heavy cream, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese, continue mixing.
Add in the sausage, lemon thyme and spinach and mix by hand.
Pour the mixture into the quiche crust.
Add in the goat cheese in small chunks and add in the tomatoes, skin side down.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the middle has no jiggle to it. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Store leftovers in the fridge up to a couple of days.
Tips for Perfect Low Carb Quiche
- Quiche cooks fairly quickly and for that reason you’ll want to precook your sausage of whatever meat you use.
- Be careful not to overcook quiche. This Keto spinach quiche is done right when there is little to no jiggle left in the middle. Over cooking will leave the eggs with a rubbery texture.
- To reheat, just cover with foil and heat on 350F for about 20 minutes, or you can simply heat up slices as you want them in the microwave, just until heated through.
- Leftover low carb sausage quiche can also be frozen up to a couple months if wrapped well and stored in a freezer safe container. When you’re ready to eat it, allow it to thaw in fridge then follow the reheating directions above.
- To save a little time, you can chop your veggies and cook the meat a day in advance. Then all you have to do is cook the crust and make the filling and it’s ready to bake.
- You’ll want to always blind bake your crust before adding the filling. This will keep the crust from being soggy when the quiche is done.
Is Quiche Keto?
Traditional quiche is not considered Keto due to the ingredients used in the crust. But, by making a few adaptations, like switching the regular flour to almond flour, you can easily make quiche the perfect Keto brunch idea.
Are There Carbs in Quiche?
There’re a few carbs in the quiche but this recipe, with only 5 net carbs per serving, takes traditional quiche and transforms it into a low carb version.
Variations to Keto Quiche with Sausage and Spinach
The best thing about quiche is it’s incredibly versatile. You can add a combination of your favorite ingredients or try some of these:
- One of the first substitutions to consider is what type of meat to use. If you prefer, you can use diced ham, fried bacon, prosciutto or crumbled breakfast sausage.
- If you don’t have a tart pan, this low carb quiche recipe can be made in a silicone muffin pan. Because the quiches will be smaller in size, you need to adjust your cooking time, so watch for them to be done a little sooner than if they’re cooked in a tart pan.
- Don’t have goat cheese? No problem! You can get very creative here by using cream cheese in its place. The cream cheese should be cold and leave in chunks when adding it to the filling.
- Another cheese variation to consider is using Asiago or sharp cheddar in place of the parmesan.
- Add a personal touch to this Keto recipe by adding bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms.
- A frittata is basically a crustless quiche. For a different spin, you can make this recipe as a low carb frittata by cooking the filling, without the crust, in a well greased oven safe skillet.
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
- Keto Breakfast Pockets
- Fluffy Pancakes
- Easy Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Chorizo and Pepper Egg Muffin Cups
- Eggs Benedict
- Homemade Waffles
- Bacon, Egg and Pepper Pinwheels
Italian Sausage and Spinach Quiche – Keto, Low Carb & Gluten Free
For the Crust
- 2 cups super fine almond flour
- 1/4 cup grass-fed unsalted butter melted
- 1 whole egg
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup sweet Italian sausage cooked
- 1/2 of a 9 ounce package frozen spinach (thawed and squeezed completely dry)
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 ounce of goat cheese
- 4 grape tomatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon thyme or thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
To make the quiche crust
- Preheat oven to 350F. Add the almond flour, butter and egg to the bowl of a food processor and mix until a dough is formed.
- Place the dough in a 9″ non-stick tart pan with a removable bottom and press out, going up the sides.
- Prick the dough with a fork and cover with parchment paper and either pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the parchment paper/weights and allow to cool slightly before filling.
To Make the Filling
- Add the eggs to a large mixing bowl and blend using a hand mixer, whisk or fork. Add in the heavy cream, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese, continue mixing. Add in the sausage, lemon thyme and spinach and mix by hand.
- Pour the mixture into the quiche crust. Add in the goat cheese in small chunks and add in the tomatoes, skin side down. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the middle has no jiggle to it. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.