Low carb breakfast gets a twist with this flavorful and slightly spicy chorizo, poblano pepper and cheese casserole! You don't want to miss out on this one!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
Chorizo gives so much flavor to this casserole, along with the other star of the show: poblano peppers, which are roasted to give them extra flavor.
This low carb breakfast casserole is easy to make and is bursting with so much flavor, your family will be requesting this one over and over.
If you love poblano peppers, you might also like these Stuffed Poblano Peppers, Creamy Poblano Chicken, Chorizo & Pepper Cauliflower Rice or Poblano and Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf recipes. Each one has a unique savory and robust poblano flavor.
Not only is this Mexican casserole mouth watering delicious, it is so colorful, just perfect to serve at a brunch! And it also freezes beautifully, so you can freeze your leftovers and have plenty for later.
What's in Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Ground chorizo sausage
- Cheddar cheese
- Poblano peppers
- Diced tomatoes
- Heavy cream
- Garlic salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- Queso fresco
- Fresh avocado
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Turn the oven on broil. Place the poblano peppers, 1 large or 2 medium, on a sheet pan lined with foil and lightly coat in olive oil.
Roast them in the oven until the skins are charred. Remove and place in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap for a few minutes. This will make the skins much easier to peel off.
Then, peel the skins, remove the seeds, and chop. Turn the oven temperature down to 350F.
Cook the chorizo sausage in a skillet until browned.
Drain the chorizo, remove and add to the bowl with the eggs.
Sauté the onions for a few minutes, then add to the egg mixture along with the remaining ingredients, reserving 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
Pour into a 9" x 13" casserole baking dish that's been sprayed with non-stick spray. Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the eggs have set.
Allow to cool slightly before cutting into.
Top with more chopped fresh cilantro, sliced avocado and crumbled queso fresco before serving.
How to Freeze Leftover Keto Mexican Casserole?
With this casserole, because it serves 8, you will have plenty leftover. When doing Keto meal prep, that's exactly what you want! You can store your leftovers in airtight containers in the fridge for a few days, or freeze for up to several months.
If you're looking for another Keto breakfast recipe that's easy to take on the go, try this Low Carb Breakfast Burrito!
Substitutions Used in Low Carb Breakfast Casserole
- This Keto Mexican casserole recipe calls for you to roast the poblanos first, which gives them a lot of extra smoky flavor. Alternatively, you can dice and sauté in a skillet instead.
- Mexican four-cheese cheddar mix is perfect for this casserole, but you can use pepper jack, Monterey jack, Colby or any other cheese that melts well with a milder flavor.
- One of the key steps to this low carb breakfast casserole is to whip some air into the eggs to make them fluffier. But you can certainly skip this step if you'd like. It will end with a little more dense texture but the flavor will not be compromised. You can also whip them up in a blender, if you don't have a hand mixer or immersion blender.
- Queso fresco (which means "fresh cheese"), is crumbled over the top of this casserole. If you've never used queso fresco before, it's very similar to a feta cheese, in that it's a semi-soft cheese that crumbles very easily. If you can't find queso fresco, you can use feta cheese or any Mexican crumbling cheese.
- If you don't like or can't find chorizo, you can use any ground Keto-friendly sausage that you like.
- You can also replace the poblano with red, yellow or orange roasted bell peppers. You can even add in a few sautéed jalapeño peppers.
Is Mexican Breakfast Casserole Keto?
This version of Mexican casserole is perfect for a quick and easy Keto or low carb breakfast recipe. Eggs, sausage and cheese are all Keto staples. Make sure you check the label on the brand of sausage you use to ensure you don't end up with unwanted sugars or carby ingredients.
Because this casserole is so filling, it's good for any meal of the day. Serve it with a side salad for lunch or dinner.
More Keto Mexican Inspired Recipes
- Easy Taco Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Poblano
- Baked Southwest Skillet
- Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
- Eggs Benedict
- Blueberry Muffins
- Italian Sausage and Spinach Quiche
- Sausage Gravy & Biscuits
- Fluffy Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce
Keto Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- 12 whole eggs
- 1 pound ground chorizo sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ cup roasted poblano peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup onions, minced
- ⅓ cup diced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- Optional: top with queso fresco and fresh sliced avocado
- Turn the oven on broil. Place the poblano peppers (I used 2 medium) on a sheet pan lined with foil and lightly coat in olive oil.
- Roast them in the oven until the skins are charred. Remove and place in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap for a few minutes. This will make the skins much easier to peel off. Then, peel the skins, remove the seeds, and chop. Turn the oven temperature down to 350F.
- Drain the chorizo, remove and add to the bowl with the eggs. Sauté the onions for a few minutes, then add to the egg mixture along with the remaining ingredients, reserving 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Optional: Top with more chopped fresh cilantro, sliced avocado and crumbled queso fresco before serving.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the buttons above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.