This Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Chicken Soup is loaded with juicy chicken, tangy artichokes and tender spinach in a flavorful creamy broth.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love this Spinach Artichoke Soup Recipe
- What’s in Spinach Artichoke Chicken Soup
- How to Make Spinach Artichoke Soup in the Slow Cooker
- How Do I Store Keto Chicken Soup?
- How Many Times Can I Reheat Chicken Soup?
- Is Slow Cooking Soup Better?
- Spinach Artichoke Soup Variations & Add-ins
- What Do Artichokes Taste Like?
- Are Artichokes Keto?
- What Soup Can you Eat on Keto?
- What Slow Cooker is Best to Use?
- More Keto Slow Cooker Recipes
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Spinach Artichoke Soup Recipe
- Creamy texture and rich flavors
- Super easy to make in your slow cooker
- Uses healthy easy to find ingredients
- Family friendly
This easy slow cooker chicken and artichoke soup is a delicious, one pot meal you can enjoy all year-round. It’s healthy, hearty and incredibly flavorful. The inspiration for this soup recipe comes from this absolutely amazing Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole.
Because the casserole and this Spinach Artichoke Dip always gets such rave reviews, I decided to take those flavors one step further and turn them into a warm and comforting creamy soup. And the best part is, the slow cooker does most of the work for you, making it the perfect answer for a busy weeknight meal.
What’s in Spinach Artichoke Chicken Soup
- Chicken breast
- Artichoke hearts
- Baby spinach
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Yellow onion
- Dried parsley
- Dried basil
- Black pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
How to Make Spinach Artichoke Soup in the Slow Cooker
Add the chicken to the bottom of your slow cooker insert. Sprinkle the dried basil, parsley, salt and pepper over the top.
Add the onion, garlic, artichoke hearts and chicken broth.
Tip: If you buy the canned artichokes that are already quartered, you can just rinse them well and add them to the mix. No cutting needed!
Lastly, cut the block of cream cheese into cubes and place them over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
Uncover and remove the chicken, and place it on a cutting board.
Stir in the spinach and parmesan cheese, then cover while you shred the chicken.
Tip: Always save and freeze your parmesan cheese rinds. They're great to add in a pot of soup, to slowly melt and give it extra flavor!
Shred using 2 forks, then add back into the slow cooker. Continue cooking for 10 minutes on high, then serve with some freshly grated or shaved parmesan cheese over the top.
How Do I Store Keto Chicken Soup?
For the leftover soup, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
You can also freeze this soup. Creamy based soups have a tendency to separate when they are frozen and thawed. If this happens, just keep stirring it as you reheat until the ingredients in the broth are incorporated.
How Many Times Can I Reheat Chicken Soup?
For the sake of making sure your soup stays fresh and safe to eat, it's best to not reheat it more than once. If you have a lot of leftovers, just take out what you will eat and reheat, then keep the rest of it chilled in the fridge for up to a few days.
Is Slow Cooking Soup Better?
Cooking soup low and slow tends to allow the flavors to develop better than quick stove top methods. That's why you'll often hear people say soup always taste better the next day.
Another reason using a slow cooker for soup is better, is that you don't have to stand over the stove and babysit it to ensure it doesn't scorch on the bottom.
Spinach Artichoke Soup Variations & Add-ins
Veggies: This recipe uses similar ingredients to the dip and casserole. But you can make it your own by adding in other veggies. Sliced mushrooms are always a wonderful addition. You can also add roasted poblano peppers like in this Chile Relleno Chicken Soup.
Chicken: This recipe calls for chicken breasts, but you can also use chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat chicken. You can also take a short cut and reduce the cooking time by using rotisserie chicken. For a great twist, you can use leftover Air Fryer Turkey Breast.
Cheese: You can add even more cheesiness with shredded mozzarella. After you ladle a serving into your bowl, add a layer of mozzarella cheese and give it time to melt over the top. Swiss and gruyere are two other cheeses that are great as a topping for this soup.
What Do Artichokes Taste Like?
Canned artichoke hearts are super tender and a whole lot less trouble than peeling fresh ones.
They have a slightly sweet and briny flavor. Some say they have a bit of a cooked celery flavor, while others say they taste similar to capers. I personally think they taste like the perfect combination of both.
Are Artichokes Keto?
They sure are! And they're healthy too! According to this article on Healthline, "Artichokes are low in fat while rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Particularly high in folate and vitamins C and K, they also supply important minerals, such as magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and iron."
What Soup Can you Eat on Keto?
One of the fantastic things about Keto is there are so many delicious soups you can enjoy. Here are some of my favorite low carb recipes to give you a little inspiration:
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Soup
- Keto Italian Wedding Soup
- Keto Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
- Easy Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
- Smoked Sausage and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
What Slow Cooker is Best to Use?
I used the Hamilton Beach 6 Quart Slow Cooker and absolutely love it. It's very lightweight and is programmable. But here's my favorite part... you can use the insert on your stovetop to sear before slow cooking.
So if you have a roast that you want to sear to give it more flavor, you don't have to use another pan! You can also deglaze the pan with your liquids and really make the most of all that flavor. Hands down, my favorite slow cooker ever!
More Keto Slow Cooker Recipes
- Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Soup
- Turkey Breast with Gravy
- Southern Green Beans
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- BBQ Meatballs
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Chicken Soup
- 2 pounds chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 14 ounce jar/can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 4 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 6 cups chicken broth, (not low sodium)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the chicken to the bottom of your slow cooker insert. Sprinkle the dried basil, parsley, salt and pepper over the tops.
- Add the onion, garlic, artichoke hearts and chicken broth.
- Lastly, cut the block of cream cheese into cubes and place them over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Uncover and remove the chicken, and place it on a cutting board.
- Stir in the spinach and parmesan cheese, then cover while you shred the chicken.
- Shred using 2 forks, then add back into the slow cooker. Continue cooking for 10 minutes on high, then serve with some freshly grated or shaved parmesan cheese over the top.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.