These dreamy Keto Carrot Cake Bars have a tender and moist cake, baked with warm spices and shredded carrots, then topped with a creamy vanilla frosting.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love this Carrot Cake Bars Recipe
- 🛒 What’s in Keto Carrot Cake Bars
- 🔪 How to Make Almond Flour Carrot Cake Bars
- Can I Eat Carrots on Keto?
- What's the Carb Count in Carrots?
- Can I Freeze These Healthy Carrot Cake Bars?
- How to Shred Carrots for Carrot Cake
- Low Carb Carrot Cake Variations and Add-ins
- Why is My Carrot Cake Soggy in the Middle?
- More Keto Dessert Bars
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Carrot Cake Bars Recipe
- Classic carrot cake flavor
- Perfectly moist and delicious
- Creamy vanilla frosting
- Kid friendly
If you have always loved carrot cake but thought it was off-limits for Keto, this recipe is about to change your mind. With the perfect balance of sweetness and spice, these bars are packed with all the flavors you love in a classic carrot cake recipe but with a fraction of the carbs.
By using a few low-carb substitutes, like almond flour and monk fruit sweeteners, you can indulge in these delicious treats with only 5 net carbs per serving! And the best part? They taste so much like traditional carrot cake, no one will ever know they are a healthier alternative.
These carrot cake cream cheese bars are the perfect low carb dessert to take to potlucks, family gatherings, or just about any occasion.
🛒 What’s in Keto Carrot Cake Bars
- Super fine almond flour
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese
- Brown monk fruit/allulose
- Monk fruit/allulose
- Ground cinnamon
- Baking powder
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground ginger
- Chopped toasted walnuts for the topping (optional)
- Blackstrap molasses-optional
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Almond Flour Carrot Cake Bars
How to Make Keto Carrot Cake
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a mixing bowl, add in the almond flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt.
Whisk to combine, then set aside.
In a separate bowl, add in the eggs, melted butter, heavy cream, sweeteners, vanilla extract and the (optional) blackstrap molasses.
Tip: The blackstrap molasses is optional and does add a tiny bit of carbs, but I think it's worth the added flavor that you can't really get anywhere else.
Using a hand mixer, mix until combined. Pour in the dry ingredients and continue mixing, only until combined.
Add in the shredded carrots.
Then fold them in using a spatula.
Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted, comes out clean. Then allow to cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Sugar-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
Add the cream cheese and butter into a mixing bowl.
Using a hand mixer, whip until combined and fluffy.
Add in the heavy cream, sweetener and vanilla bean paste.
Continue mixing until well combined and is the perfect frosting consistency. Add in a little more heavy cream if needed.
Tip: I chose to use vanilla bean paste in the frosting because it gives a huge kick of vanilla flavor that works really well in this dessert, but if you don't have any, you can use 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract instead.
Once the carrot cake has cooled, frost them using an offset spatula and cut into 12 bars.
You can also top them with the toasted chopped walnuts or omit them if you'd like. Store leftover carrot cake squares in the fridge in an airtight container for up to several days.
Tip: The chopped walnuts topping is also optional, but it adds a really nice contrast in texture so I recommend adding them. Alternatively, you can use chopped pecans if you'd like or omit the nuts all together.
Can I Eat Carrots on Keto?
While some people think carrots are totally off limits on Keto, that is not the case. Yes, carrots do contain more carbohydrates than leafy green veggies, because they are a good source of fiber, they are relatively low in net carbs.
What's the Carb Count in Carrots?
When deciding if carrots are okay for Keto, consider the grams of fiber and carbs:
- Total Carbohydrates: 12.8 grams
- Fiber: 3.6 grams
- Net Carbohydrates: 9.2 grams
This recipe makes 12 servings, which means that the shredded carrots add less than one net carb per bar.
Can I Freeze These Healthy Carrot Cake Bars?
Because of the frosting, they are best when eaten freshly made, but they will freeze fairly well.
For best results, place them on a baking sheet and place in the freezer until the frosting hardens. Then, wrap the individual bars in plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Frozen carrot cake can be stored for up to three months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before serving.
How to Shred Carrots for Carrot Cake
Start by peeling the carrots to remove the outer skin. You can then use a box grater or a food processor with the grating attachment.
Once the carrots are shredded, make sure to blot them with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. This helps prevent the carrot cake from becoming soggy.
Low Carb Carrot Cake Variations and Add-ins
Coconut flaked: Add shredded coconut flakes to the batter for a nutty twist.
Lemon zest: Brighten up the flavors of these easy carrot cake bars by adding in a pinch of freshly grated lemon zest into the batter.
Pumpkin spice: Instead of adding individual spices, you can use about a tablespoon of this homemade Pumpkin Spice blend. You'll want to adjust the amount to your liking.
Chocolate chips: To add rich chocolatey goodness to each bite fold in some sugar-free chocolate chips into the batter.
Carrot cheesecake bars: Swirl in some softened cream cheese into the carrot cake batter before baking.
Caramel drizzle: You can skip the frosting and add a drizzle of these homemade Keto Salted Caramel Sauce over the top of the cooked cake bars.
Why is My Carrot Cake Soggy in the Middle?
Following the steps in this recipe should prevent your bars from being soggy. If the cake seems a little too wet in the middle, it is typically because you did not bake it long enough.
Another cause if that the carrots contain a lot of moisture. Be sure to squeeze them out with paper towels before adding them to the batter.
More Keto Dessert Bars
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Keto Lemon Bars
- Keto Blueberry Cheesecake Bars
- Salted Caramel Bars
- Vanilla and Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Carrot Cake Bars
For the Carrot Cake Bars
- 2 cups super fine almond flour
- 1 cup carrots, finely shredded
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup brown monk fruit/allulose
- ⅓ cup monk fruit/allulose
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses, optional
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
To Make Keto Carrot Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a separate bowl, add in the eggs, melted butter, heavy cream, sweeteners, vanilla extract and the optional blackstrap molasses. Using a hand mixer, mix until combined.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and continue mixing, only until combined.
- Add in the shredded carrots and fold them in using a spatula.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted, comes out clean. Then allow to cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Sugar-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
- Add the cream cheese and butter into a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip until combined and fluffy.
- Add in the heavy cream, sweetener and vanilla bean paste. Continue mixing until well combined and is the perfect frosting consistency. Add in a little more heavy cream if needed.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.