This Air Fryer Butternut Squash makes the perfect easy Keto side dish for busy weeknights. Tender cubes of fresh butternut squash are seasoned with a blend of sweet and savory spices, giving it lots of flavor!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe
- 🛒 Ingredients for Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- 🔪 How to Make Butternut Squash in the Air Fryer
- 💡 Tips on How to Cut a Butternut Squash
- ☑️ Storage Instructions
- 🍴 What to Serve with Butternut Squash
- 🔄 Substitutions and Additions
- Is Squash Good in the Air Fryer?
- Does Butternut Squash Shrink When Roasted?
- Can You Peel Butternut Squash Before Baking it?
- Can I Eat Butternut Squash on Keto?
- 🍽️ More Keto Side Dish Recipes
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Tender cubes of fresh butternut squash roasted in the air fryer
- Seasoned with the perfect blend of sweet and savory spices
- Makes a great quick and easy Keto weeknight side dish
- Perfectly roasted in the air fryer, without having to use your oven
- Pairs well with just about any protein
Butternut squash is one of my favorite fall vegetables, well it’s technically considered a fruit… In any case, it has such great flavor even prepared simply with some butter and a little salt. With this butternut squash recipe, I’ve added some warm spices and herbs, elevating the flavor and making it into something worthy of a holiday dinner spread!
Roasting it in the air fryer makes it super easy to prepare and cleanup is a snap. You can avoid turning on your oven and do the roasting right in your air fryer. From start to finish, you can make this Keto butternut squash recipe in under 30 minutes. And if you’re really pressed for time, you can even buy it peeled and cubed in your grocery store!
Butternut squash is perfect for anyone on Keto and you can serve it with just about any protein that you like. You can also use it in this Kale Salad, in my Crockpot Chili (it makes a great replacement for beans!), Maple Roasted in the oven and even in this Sheet Pan Sausage with Veggies!
🛒 Ingredients for Air Fryer Butternut Squash
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Butternut Squash in the Air Fryer
Preheat air fryer on 400°F for 5 minutes.
Add your cubed butternut squash to a mixing bowl.
Then drizzle the olive oil over the top, sprinkle the garlic salt, ground black pepper, fresh thyme and ground cinnamon.
Toss to combine, making sure every piece is well coated.
Pour an even layer in the basket of your air fryer, making sure there no pieces are overlapping. You might have to do this in 2 batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
Air fry for 15-17 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through, then serve.
💡 Tips on How to Cut a Butternut Squash
Cut both ends off your butternut squash and discard.
Stand the butternut squash upright, then take a sharp knife and cut off the peel slicing downward.
Once you’ve removed all of the peel, slice it in half lengthwise.
Using a spoon, scoop out all the seeds and pulp, then discard. You can wash and roast the seeds if you’d like.
Cut the squash into small cubes.
☑️ Storage Instructions
Store leftover butternut squash in an airtight container for a few days or freeze.
🍴 What to Serve with Butternut Squash
The great thing about butternut squash is there are so many proteins that it will pair nicely with. These are a few of my favorites:
- Stuffed Pork Loin
- Paprika Chicken Thighs
- Crockpot Meatloaf
- Pecan Crusted Salmon
- Cast Iron Steak and Mushrooms
🔄 Substitutions and Additions
- If you don’t have fresh thyme, you can use dried thyme. Another great option is fresh rosemary, which will also give it great flavor. Dried rosemary will also work well.
- To add a slightly smoky flavor, add in a pinch of smoked paprika.
- Add in some diced red onion to add more flavor, they will caramelize nicely in the air fryer!
- Sprinkle a small amount of ground nutmeg, which will compliment the ground cinnamon.
Is Squash Good in the Air Fryer?
Absolutely! Air frying at a high temperature of 400°F mimics roasting it in the oven, which gives you a nice, slightly caramelized flavor. It also keeps you from having to turn on your big oven and makes cleanup much easier.
Does Butternut Squash Shrink When Roasted?
Butternut squash will shrink slightly once it’s been roasted, but not by much.
Can You Peel Butternut Squash Before Baking it?
Yes, for this recipe it is actually necessary to remove the peel before air frying it and it makes serving so much easier. However, you can certainly leave the peel on and roast larger pieces of butternut squash if you’d like, then just remove and discard the peel once it's cooked.
Can I Eat Butternut Squash on Keto?
Yes, you absolutely can! While it’s higher in carbs than most greens, it’s still low enough to fit perfectly into your macros.
🍽️ More Keto Side Dish Recipes
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Creamed Spinach
- Grilled Broccolini
- Green Beans Almondine
- Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Preheat air fryer on 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Add your cubed butternut squash to a mixing bowl, then drizzle the olive oil over the top, then sprinkle the garlic salt, ground black pepper, fresh thyme and ground cinnamon.
- Toss to combine, making sure every piece is well coated.
- Pour an even layer in the basket of your air fryer, making sure there no pieces are overlapping. You might have to do this in 2 batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fry for 15-17 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through, then serve.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.