These healthy Easy Italian Pinwheels are everything you love about a classic Italian sub, wrapped up into a delicious bite sized appetizer.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Italian Pinwheels Recipe
- Classic Italian sub flavors
- Easy to assemble
- Perfect appetizer to serve your guests
- You can make them ahead of time
These low carb Italian pinwheels are one of the tastiest bite size snacks you'll ever make. They're perfect for when you’re feeding a crowd because they are always a huge hit, plus it only takes minutes to assemble an entire batch of them.
This recipe starts with homemade Keto tortillas as a base with a creamy mascarpone and red pepper spread for a flavorful dressing. They're loaded up with fresh spinach, savory meats and cheese, sliced into perfect little pinwheel bites.
You can serve these filled Italian tortillas as individual pinwheels or simply cut in half for a great low carb lunch-on-the-go sub or even picnic option.
🛒 What’s in Italian Pinwheels
- Keto Tortillas
- Genoa salami
- Provolone cheese
- Mascarpone cheese
- Baby spinach
- Parmesan cheese
- Roasted red peppers
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🔪 How to Make Italian Pinwheels
Add the mascarpone cheese, roasted peppers, pepperoncini, parmesan cheese to a small mixing bowl and mix until combined.
Tip: If you can't find mascarpone, you can use cream cheese instead.
Take one tortilla and spread half the mixture over the top, then add half of the provolone cheese.
Add half the ham over the cheese.
Tip: You can add other Italian cold cuts like mortadella, pepperoni, capocollo or soppressata if you'd like.
Then add half the spinach leaves.
Add half the salami, then roll it up tight and repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
Tip: Adding the salami over the spinach leaves helps keep them in place as you roll it up.
Chill them in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. Repeat the same process with the remaining ingredients.
Tip: This will make them a little easier to slice up, without the mascarpone pepper mixture oozing out.
Slice into pinwheels and place on a platter and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Tip: You can chill them in the fridge overnight, then slice them up just before serving.
Are Pinwheels Keto Friendly?
The only non-keto ingredient in most any pinwheel recipe is the flour tortilla. While they make store bought low-carb tortillas, these homemade tortillas are so much better!
With only 4 net carbs, these pinwheels are healthy and make the perfect addition to Keto and low carb diets.
Can Pinwheels Be Made Ahead of Time?
Tortilla roll-ups need time to set up in the fridge. But you don't want to make them too far in advance without running the risk of the tortillas becoming soggy.
For best results, make pinwheels up within a few hours of serving.
Variations of Low Carb Tortilla Pinwheels
- Meat: Swap out the Italian meats with any of your favorite cold cuts. Keto turkey pinwheels are a great way to use up some of your holiday Slow Cooker Turkey Breast or Glazed Ham leftovers. You can even omit the meat and have Keto cheese pinwheels.
- Filling: If you prefer, you can make Keto cream cheese pinwheels instead of using mascarpone. Make sure to leave the cream cheese out until it gets soft enough to mix.
- Cheese: Swap out the cheese for thin deli sliced cheese. Cheddar cheese, Swiss or mozzarella are all great choices.
- Veggies: This recipe calls for baby spinach leaves, but you can use other salad greens instead. Instead of pepperoncini, you can give them a spicy kick with sliced jalapenos. Or add some of these Pickled Jalapenos for a sweet and spicy kick.
How Do You Get Pinwheels to Stick?
Though super easy to make, there are a few things you can do to make sure your Keto roll-ups stick well.
- Always start with fresh tortillas. They are more pliable and easier to work with. If you find that they have become a little stiff, reheat them in the microwave for a few seconds until they are soft again.
- When purchasing the meat and cheese you are planning on using, make sure you have the deli slice them thin. This makes the layers much easier to roll up.
- Pinwheels need some sort of spread of dressing to help them stick really well. If you don't care for the red pepper spread in this recipe, you can use homemade Keto Mayo or Hummus.
- After getting all your pinwheel roll-ups completed, make sure you allow time for them to set up for a bit in the fridge with the open side face down. If they appear to want to come unrolled, try wrapping them in plastic wrap.
More Keto Appetizers
- Dill Pickled Devilled Eggs
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites
- Keto Crab Cakes
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Keto Coconut Shrimp
- Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Easy Italian Pinwheels
- 2 large Keto Tortillas
- 12 slices Genoa salami, sliced thin
- 12 slices ham, sliced thin
- 12 thin slices provolone cheese
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- ⅓ cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pepperoncini, chopped
- Add the mascarpone cheese, roasted peppers, pepperoncini, parmesan cheese to a small mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- Take one tortilla and spread half the mixture over the top, then add half of the provolone cheese.
- Add half the ham over the cheese, then add half the spinach leaves.
- Add half the salami, then roll it up tight and repeat the process with the remaining ingredients. Chill them in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. Repeat the same process with the remaining ingredients. This will make them a little easier to slice up, without the mascarpone pepper mixture oozing out.
- Slice into pinwheels and place on a platter and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
What a good idea for parties.
Keto Cooking Christian
They definitely are and everyone always loves them.
Bless you for all you do.
Keto Cooking Christian
You are so welcome!😊