Sugar-free sweet and spicy Bang Bang Sauce coats slivers of crispy, crunchy cabbage to make an amazing Keto coleslaw that’s just bursting with flavor!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
It seems like coleslaw is an unsung hero of Keto side dishes. Well, that is all about to change with this recipe. It’ll be the star of the meal with all the epic Bang Bang flavors we all know and love.
In additional to the mouth watering sauce, ripe bell pepper, flavorful cilantro and crunchy almonds combines with the sauce to make a low carb coleslaw that’ll be a huge hit with all your friends and family.
This recipe is a total game changer! When you taste that epic spicy sauce, traditional coleslaw will be a thing of the past. And the best part… it comes together in a matter of minutes and is ready to eat within 30 minutes.
What’s in Keto Bang Bang Coleslaw
- Shredded coleslaw mix
- Heavy cream
- Red bell pepper
- Rice wine vinegar
- Slivered almonds
- Swerve confectioners
- Sesame seeds
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Bang Bang Keto Coleslaw
Add the mayonnaise, heavy cream, sambal, sriracha, rice wine vinegar, Swerve confectioners, lime zest and juice to a mixing bowl .
Whisk until well combined.
In a large mixing bowl, add the coleslaw mix.
Add in slivered almonds, red bell pepper, sesame seeds and cilantro.
Pour the dressing over the top and toss until the slaw is completely coated.
Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, to allow the flavors to develop.
Note: If you prefer more spicy flavor in your slaw, you can add more Sriracha. If you want a milder slaw, you can omit the Sriracha all together.
What is Bang Bang Sauce?
Originally, bang bang sauce was served over a chicken recipe in Asia. It gained popularity from Bonefish Grill’s appetizer of Bang Bang Shrimp. If you have ever had it, then you know exactly how additive that yummy sauce it.
If you haven’t tried it, it’s a spicy mayo based sauce that get’s that delicious flavor from the sambal and sriracha sauces used in the recipe. It sounds simple, but you’re going to love the combination of flavors.
Can I Freeze Leftover Bang Bang Coleslaw?
It is not recommended that you freeze mayonnaise based coleslaw. The mayo has a tendency to separate from the cabbage and pretty much makes a runny mess.
However, there are some things you can do for meal prepping in advance that may help. Mix all the ingredients together for the slaw, with the exception of the dressing, and seal it in an airtight freezer bag, removing all the air you possibly can, then freeze up to a month.
When you’re ready to make the slaw, all you have to do is thaw the bagged veggies in the fridge, make the spicy coleslaw dressing and toss.
Variations for Keto Coleslaw
The ingredients in this Bang Bang Keto coleslaw dressing come together to most closely resemble the famous Bang Bang Shrimp recipe. However, there are some substitutions you can make that won’t change up the flavor too much.
- If the few carrots in the coleslaw mix concerns you, you can always finely shred your own. Alternatively, many grocery stores now carry angel hair shredded cabbage. This cabbage comes in a bag and is strictly super finely grated green cabbage.
- To add different texture to your Keto coleslaw, add a little red cabbage to the mix. It not only adds a slightly different texture, it adds pretty color.
- To switch things up, you can use Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise or even in combination with the mayo.
- This sugar free coleslaw dressing uses Swerve. You can substitute your favorite sugar-alternative like this Monk Fruit/Allulose blend.
- Scallions provide a subtle onion flavor. For a stronger flavor, you can substitute them for finely sliced yellow onion.
- This spicy coleslaw has a bit of an Asian flair to it and the fresh cilantro just compliments the flavors. If you’re not a fan of cilantro, you can substitute with fresh parsley.
How Many Carbs in Cabbage?
A one cup of raw cabbage has 5 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fiber making the net carbs come in at 3 net carbs! Talk about a low carb veggie!
Is it Okay to have Coleslaw on Keto?
Not all coleslaw recipes are suitable for Keto. A lot of traditional coleslaw dressings call for a lot of sugar. By substituting sugar for Swerve in this Bang Bang Keto Slaw, it becomes an ideal Keto side dish because it’s high in fat from the mayo and the cabbage is super low carb.
More Keto Coleslaw Recipes
- Buffalo Coleslaw
- Lime Cilantro Broccoli Slaw
- Easy Coleslaw
- Asian Grilled Chicken with Peanut Ginger Slaw
More Recipes with Keto Bang Bang Sauce
Keto Spicy Bang Bang Coleslaw
- 16 ounce bag of shredded coleslaw mix
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Sambal
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 2 teaspoons swerve confectioners
- 1 scallion sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- All the mayonnaise, heavy cream, sambal, sriracha, rice wine vinegar, Swerve confectioners, lime zest and juice to a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the coleslaw mix, slivered almonds, red bell pepper, sesame seeds and cilantro.
- Pour the dressing over the top and toss until the slaw is completely coated. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, to allow the flavors to develop before serving.