This festive patriotic cake tastes every bit as good as it looks! Creamy vanilla frosting sits on top of a moist and fluffy vanilla sour cream cake. Blueberries , strawberries and shredded coconut are the finishing touch to make up our flag.
Looking for a great Keto friendly dessert to serve at your 4th of July or Memorial Day BBQ? Look no further, this one's a keeper!
It takes just minutes to decorate with fresh berries and delicious shredded coconut. This cake will have everyone thinking you've made a trip to the local bakery!
With all the beautiful American flag colors, this is the perfect Keto dessert to bring to a BBQ!
What's in the American Flag Keto Cake
- Super fine almond flour
- Oat Fiber
- Sour cream
- Mascarpone cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Swerve confectioners
- Baking powder
- Vanilla bean paste
- Vanilla extract
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto American Flag Cake
To Make the Keto Vanilla Cake
Preheat your oven to 350F.
Separate the eggs, and set yolks aside. Whip up the egg whites until you have soft peaks.
Add the Swerve to the egg yolks and mix.
Then add the sour cream, vanilla extract and vanilla bean paste, and continue mixing. If you don't have vanilla bean paste, you can add an additional tsp of vanilla extract.
Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix by hand.
Then gently fold in the egg whites until combined.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted, comes out clean.
To Make the Sugar Free Frosting
Add ⅓ cup of the heavy cream, Swerve confectioners and vanilla extract, then mix until smooth and creamy. Add more of the heavy cream if needed, to get your desired consistency.
To Assemble the Gluten Free Cake
Once the cake has cooled completely, add the frosting on top and smooth using a spatula. Add the blueberries in the top left corner to represents the stars. Add the slices of strawberries in rows, alternating with rows that have only frosting. Sprinkle the shredded coconut to fill in the white stripes. And once completed, should like something like this...
It looks almost too pretty to cut, but go ahead because it taste even better!
Is This a Keto Friendly Cake?
Because this is an almond flour cake recipe, the carbs are significantly reduced which makes it perfectly fine for Keto or low carb diets.
This gluten free cake has 5 net carbs per serving (not counting the fruit you add) so with a little planning ahead with your macros, there's no reason you can't enjoy this cake as a treat!
What are the Carbs in Berries?
The carbs in berries vary depending on the type. Here're the most commonly used berries in Keto desserts and approximate net carbs per ½ cup serving:
- Carbs in Blueberries- 9 net g of carbs
- Carbs in Strawberries- 5 net g of carbs
- Carbs in Blackberries- 3.5 net g of carbs
- Carbs in Raspberries- 3 net g of carbs
What is Oat Fiber? Is Oat Fiber Keto?
Oat Fiber is made from grinding the outer husks of oats. How healthy is oat fiber? It's pure insoluble fiber, which doesn't dissolve in water and isn't broken down in the digestive tract, so it has zero net carbs and is perfect for a Keto Diet. It helps give a more traditional texture and that's why I use it so often. Check out all the Keto Oat Fiber Recipes you can make!
What is a Substitute for Oat Fiber?
To get the best results, it's best to use oat fiber if you can. If you're unable to find it, try a combination of psyllium husk powder and coconut flour. Since both are very absorbent, you might have to add more liquid.
Also try my Red, White & Blue Cheesecake Berry Cups!
For more great Keto red, white & blue patriotic dessert ideas, check out this roundup!
If you'd like to know more about baking on Keto, this article, Keto Baking Made Easy, is loaded with tips and info that you'll find helpful. You might also check out my Keto Sweet Treats eBook that has 50 amazing Keto dessert recipes, all with color pics, macros and more! I'm offering it at 50% off when you subscribe to my free weekly emails here.
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto American Flag Cake
For the cake:
For the frosting:
For the Flag:
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Separate the eggs, and set yolks aside. Whip up the egg whites until you have soft peaks.
- Add the swerve to the egg yolks and mix. Then add the sour cream, vanilla extract and bean paste, and continue mixing.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix by hand.
- Then fold in the egg whites until combined.
- Transfer the batter to an 8" X 8" glass baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted, comes out clean.
To make the frosting:
- Whip the mascarpone and cream cheese together in a bowl using a hand mixer.
- Add ⅓ cup of the heavy cream, swerve confectioners (or powdered erythritol) and vanilla extract, then mix until smooth and creamy. Add more of the heavy cream if needed, to get your desired consistency.
To Assemble the Cake:
- Once the cake has cooled completely, add the frosting on top and smooth using a spatula. Add the blueberries in the top left corner to represents the stars. Add the slices of strawberries in rows, alternating with rows that have only frosting. Sprinkle the shredded coconut to fill in the white stripes.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.Save 60% OFF EBOOK BUNDLE
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.