This Grinder Salad, with a combination of robust flavors and enticing textures, is a scrumptious twist on the classic sub, that will elevate your salad game to a whole new level.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love this Grinder Salad Recipe
- 🛒 What’s in an Italian Grinder Salad
- 🔪 How to Make the Viral TikTok Grinder Salad
- Is an Italian Grinder Salad Okay for Keto?
- Grinder Salad Add-ins and Substitutions
- Can I Make This Salad in Advance?
- Why is it Called a Grinder Sandwich?
- What is an American Grinder?
- More Keto Salads
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Grinder Salad Recipe
- Classic grinder sub sandwich made into a healthy salad
- Flavorful mix of Italian cold cuts sliced into delicate ribbons
- Great contrast of textures
- Colorful salad makes a beautiful presentation
- Easy to make in under 20 minutes
Have you seen the viral TikTok recipe for a grinder salad? It's taking the internet by storm and with good reason. With its vibrant colors and delicious contrast in flavors and textures, this salad is as much of a delight for the eyes, as it is for the taste buds.
Every fork full offers a combination of finely sliced lettuce, savory Italian meats, and cheese. The finely sliced technique is where it gets the name, "grinder." But the real star of the show is the creamy and delightfully tangy dressing that ties all the other ingredients together, making this a true salad masterpiece.
This recipe offers such a refreshing and exciting twist on salads that your whole family will love. And the best part is, it's so filling that it can be served as a light dinner, lunch entrée or as a hearty side salad.
🛒 What’s in an Italian Grinder Salad
- Romaine lettuce (or iceberg lettuce)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Provolone cheese
- Prosciutto (or ham)
- Genoa salami
- Red onion
- Roasted red peppers (w/brine)
- Pepperoncini (w/brine)
- Homemade Italian Dressing
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make the Viral TikTok Grinder Salad
Wash, dry and thinly shred your romaine lettuce.
Tip: I like to use my salad spinner for washing and drying the lettuce.
Spread the lettuce out in an even layer in a large mixing bowl or salad bowl. Slice the tomatoes in half and arrange them in a row down the center of the bowl.
Stack the thin slices of the cold cut deli meat and slice into thin shreds.
Next, add the shreds of mortadella and genoa salami on either side of the tomatoes.
Add the slivered red onions to the right of the mortadella and the prosciutto to the left of the genoa salami.
Add half the sliced provolone cheese on the right and left sides, then add the roasted red peppers on the far right and the sliced pepperoncini on the far left side.
Whisk the salad dressing ingredients until well combined, then pour over the salad right before serving.
Toss to combine and serve.
Is an Italian Grinder Salad Okay for Keto?
Lettuce, meat and cheese are always great for Keto or low carb diets, But, when it comes to salads, the main thing you have to be mindful about is the type of dressing you use. You can either make your own or look for healthy Italian dressing options with no added sugars or other high-carb ingredients.
Grinder Salad Add-ins and Substitutions
Sun-dried tomatoes: For a more intense tomato flavor, skip the fresh tomatoes and add in a few finely sliced sun-dried tomatoes.
Fresh basil: The dressing is filled with Italian herbs and spices, but fresh basil is always a great way to add a pop of herby freshness to any salad.
Parmesan cheese: You can never have too much cheese, right? Try sprinkling in some grated parmesan cheese for a tangy twist.
Raw red peppers: Roasted red peppers add smoky sweetness, but you can use finely sliced fresh red peppers if you prefer.
Pine nuts: Toasted pine nuts can bring a nutty crunch and flavor to other Italian ingredients in your salad.
Red pepper flakes: Love a kick of heat? Just add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the dressing.
Can I Make This Salad in Advance?
Though best served shortly after assembling, here are a few short cut tips:
- Pre-slice the veggies: Slicing the veggies into thin ribbons is the only time-consuming part of making this salad. Do that the night before and you'll have most of the work done.
- Store in airtight containers: Once you have all the thin slices of veggies prepped, keep them in separate airtight containers or sealed freezer bags.
- Prepare the dressing: You can prepare the dressing the night before and keep it in an airtight jar with a lid. Then just toss with the other grinder salad ingredients when ready to serve.
Why is it Called a Grinder Sandwich?
A grinder sandwich is a hearty, meat and cheese filled sandwich. The ingredients are either chopped into really small pieces or thinly sliced, giving them the appearance that they have been grinded up.
What is an American Grinder?
Whether you see it referred to as an Italian grinder or an American grinder, they are both basically prepared the same way. There are ingredient differences that make the two have unique flavor profiles:
American: Commonly features deli meats like ham, turkey or roast beef along with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and condiments like mayonnaise or mustard.
Italian Grinder: Typically includes a combination of cured Italian meats like salami, capicola, mortadella and prosciutto. It also includes Italian cheeses such as provolone or mozzarella. Toppings like roasted red peppers, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and Italian herbs with tangy vinaigrette or Italian dressing also sets it apart from the American version.
More Keto Salads
- Caprese Salad with Balsamic Reduction
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Apricot Vinaigrette
- Keto " Big Mac" Cheeseburger Salad
- Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Keto Taco Salad
- Classic Cobb with Ranch Dressing
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
- 8 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- ¼ pound prosciutto, or ham, thinly sliced
- ¼ pound Genoa salami, thinly sliced
- ¼ pound Mortadella, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup roasted red peppers, sliced into strips
- ⅓ cup pepperoncini, sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Homemade Italian Dressing
- 1 tablespoon pepperoncini brine
- 1 tablespoon roasted red pepper brine
- Slice the tomatoes in half and arrange them in a row down the center of the bowl.
- Next, add the shreds of mortadella and genoa salami on either side of the tomatoes.
- Add the slivered red onions to the right of the mortadella and the prosciutto to the left of the genoa salami.
- Add half the sliced provolone cheese on the right and left sides, then add the roasted red peppers on the far right and the sliced pepperoncini on the far left side.
- In a small mixing bowl, add in the mayonnaise, Italian dressing and brines from the roasted peppers and pepperoncini.
- Whisk until well combined, then pour over the salad right before serving.
- Toss to combine and serve.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.