Classic and elegant Caprese Salad with juicy tomatoes, creamy mozzarella and basil drizzled with a sweet balsamic vinegar reduction.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
Sometimes the best things in life are the simple, right? This Caprese salad combines just a few fresh ingredients but when they all come together, they create a beautiful and refreshing salad fit for every day or for an elegant dinner!
Not only is this salad simple and delicious, it's absolutely beautiful! It has all the same vibrant and eye catching colors of the Italian flag!
One of the key attractions in this Keto Caprese Salad recipe is a thick and robust homemade balsamic reduction dressing. It's intensity compliments the subtleness of the salad so well, it's the perfect marriage of flavors.
You can serve this Caprese Salad recipe as a Keto side dish or as a hearty Keto appetizer. The refreshing combination of juicy tomatoes, the soft and mild texture of sliced mozzarella with a fresh touch the basil makes one salad that is sure to please! Also be sure to try this Burrata Caprese that uses burrata cheese, it's absolutely delicious!
What's in Keto Caprese Salad with Balsamic Reduction
- Mozzarella cheese
- Vine ripe tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves
- Flaked sea salt
- Ground pepper
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Allulose confectioners (optional)
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Caprese Salad with Balsamic Reduction
Do not rush this step or you run the risk of burning the vinegar, then you'll have to start all over with a fresh batch.
While the balsamic is reducing, wash and slice up the tomatoes.
Slice up the mozzarella cheese and get your basil leaves ready.
Add the tomato slices to a large plate, overlapping each other in a circle. Add a slice of mozzarella cheese and basil leaf in between each slice of tomato.
Drizzle with olive oil, grind some fresh black pepper and add a generous sprinkling of flaked sea salt over the top.
Once the balsamic reduction is ready, allow to cool before drizzling over the tops of the tomatoes and mozzarella. Serve immediately.
Can I Make Keto Caprese Salad with Cherry Tomatoes?
You certainly can. A fun spin on the larger Caprese salad version, is to use mini mozzarella balls cut in half, some julienned basil, cherry tomatoes cut in half then toss it with a little of the same balsamic reduction. You can even serve it this way on skewers for cute little appetizers.
Do I Have to Use Balsamic Vinegar on Caprese Salad?
If you don't have time to make the balsamic glaze or if you just do not prefer balsamic vinegar, you can use a little white wine vinegar and olive oil. You can even drizzle some of this Homemade Pesto over the top for added flavor.
But trust me, once you try this decadent balsamic reduction, you'll want to use it on everything!
Can I Have Caprese Salad on Keto?
Caprese salad is perfectly fine on Keto. Tomatoes can sometimes get a bad rap for having too many carbs. But because Caprese salad is so simple and has few other ingredients, it compares in carbs equally to many other side salads.
If you like burrata cheese, try this burrata caprese salad! It's also Keto friendly and is also quick and easy to make!
Caprese Salad FAQ's
- Why is it called Caprese Salad? Caprese salad got it's name from its origin, Capri, an island off the coast of Naples, Italy.
- What type mozzarella is best for Caprese salad? Burrata, buffalo or any type of fresh, soft mozzarella will make the perfect Caprese.
- What dressing is best on a Caprese Salad? I think you'll guess my favorite is the homemade Balsamic Reduction, but honestly, you can use red wine vinegar with olive oil or any vinegar you prefer. You can use a Creamy Italian Dressing over it if you prefer those flavors. You can even leave the dressing off all together opting for just a little salt and pepper.
- Which type of tomatoes are used in Caprese salad? The only real answer to this question is ripe tomatoes. Because there are few ingredients in the salad, with tomatoes taking front and center, you'll want to use really ripe and juicy tomatoes. You can use roma, vine ripe, heirloom or any tomato you love. They will all be equally as delicious.
More Keto Salads
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Apricot Vinaigrette
- Keto " Big Mac" Cheeseburger Salad
- Jalapeno Popper Egg Salad
- Zucchini Zoodle "Pasta" Salad
- Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Classic Cobb with Ranch Dressing
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Caprese Salad with Balsamic Reduction
- While the balsamic is reducing, wash and slice up the tomatoes. Slice up the mozzarella cheese and get your basil leaves ready.
- Add the tomato slices to a large plate, overlapping each other in a circle. Add a slice of mozzarella cheese and basil leaf in between each slice of tomato.
- Drizzle with olive oil, grind some fresh black pepper and add a generous sprinkling of flaked sea salt over the top. Once the balsamic reduction is ready, allow to cool before drizzling over the tops of the tomatoes and mozzarella. Serve immediately.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.