There is nothing quite like the intense and robust flavors of homemade Balsamic Glaze. With just a few steps you'll never want store bought again!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
This easy to make Balsamic Reduction recipe is so versatile. It's dark and concentrated flavors offer a sweet, but vinegary tanginess when drizzled over savory and sweet dishes alike.
One of the first times I ever tasted a homemade balsamic glaze was at an Italian restaurant. It was lightly poured over the top of a scoop of ice cream.
Yes, that's right, ice cream! My taste buds wanted to explode! It was such a simple dessert but it had such an amazing and unique flavor!
Mind you, that was pre-Keto days. And though my traditional sugary ice cream days are over, I still get to enjoy all those same wonderful flavors with this Keto Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream but without the added sugar.
Other than the out of this world distinct and delicious flavor, one of the biggest advantages to making your own balsamic reduction is there are no added sugars.
That makes it a great option when you want a whole lotta flavor without adding a lot of carbs to your salads, veggies or grilled meats.
What's in Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make a Balsamic Reduction
Simmer on low, whisking often, for 12-15 minutes or until reduced by at least half and has thickened up nicely. Remember, it will continue to thicken as it cools.
Be very careful not to simmer the vinegar too high, otherwise you run the risk of burning it and there's no coming back from that. You would have to start all over with a fresh batch.
It's well worth taking the time to do it right because when you do, you will have a beautiful thick and rich reduction!
If you're going to use it the same day you make it, it will be fine left out on the counter in a airtight jar, or you can store in the fridge for up to a month.
Just a note about the sugar substitute I used, if you don't have allulose, you can use Swerve confectioners. You can also omit the sweetener all together. The small amount of allulose gives it a tiny bit of extra sweetness, but not too much.
What is Balsamic Reduction?
Like the name, balsamic reduction is balsamic vinegar that has been cooked and reduced. As it cooks, it becomes thicker and the flavor becomes more intense making an AH-mazing glaze.
When you make your own balsamic reduction, it takes on a whole new flavor from the balsamic vinegar you used. So, resist the temptation and skip all the super expensive aged bottles of balsamic and just select one that has clean ingredients, is affordable and taste good to you.
Is Balsamic Vinegar Keto?
Store bought brands will sometimes add preservatives and corn syrup to give it a longer shelf life. Those added ingredients are often not healthy and can cause the vinegar to have hidden carbs.
So when shopping for balsamic vinegar, be sure to read the ingredients. The one used in this recipe has zero added sugars and makes a really sumptuous Keto friendly reduction.
Ways to Use Balsamic Reduction
- The most common way balsamic reduction is used is over a simple Caprese Salad, a traditional Italian salad made of sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and sweet basil.
- It's delicious served with desserts also! Not only is it great over ice cream, try it with just fresh strawberries or raspberries. It takes the berries to a whole new level! I have even served it over slightly grilled strawberries and was amazed at how intensely good the flavors become.
- A little of this Keto balsamic glaze spooned over a homemade Fathead Dough Pizza or these Mini Portobello Mushroom Pizzas takes ordinary pizza and turns them into something that tastes gourmet.
- Want to wake up those veggies? Drizzle balsamic reduction over grilled asparagus or zucchini. It's especially amazing when served with roasted brussels sprouts.
- Once you have made this sugar free Balsamic glaze, you'll find so many ways to enjoy it. When summer time grilling gets going, try it spooned over grilled pork chops and chicken. Oh my, is it good!
- Bored with sliced avocados? Try them with just a little of this homemade balsamic reduction. It adds SO much flavor and works really well in contrast to the creaminess and mild flavor of the avocado.
More Keto Sauces and Condiments
- Bearnaise Sauce
- Easy Alfredo Sauce
- Easy Cheese Sauce for Veggies
- Bang Bang Sauce
- Buffalo Cheese Sauce
- Homemade Pesto
- Buffalo Wing Sauce
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
- Simmer on low, whisking often, for 12-15 minutes, or until reduced by at least half and thickened up nicely. Remember, it will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Be very careful not to simmer the vinegar too high, otherwise you run the risk of burning it and there's no coming back from that. You would have to start all over with a fresh batch.
- It's well worth taking the time to do it right because when you do, you will have a beautiful thick and rich glaze! Store in an airtight jar for up to 1 month.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.