Portobello mushroom caps replace the crust in these mini pizzas, topped with homemade pizza sauce, pepperoni and gooey mozzarella cheese!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
Have you ever been in the mood for a really good low carb pizza, but just didn’t have the time to make a fathead or other Keto-friendly pizza crust? Portobello mushrooms take the place of the crust in these fun little pizzas!
Add your favorite toppings and add some really quick and easy Homemade Marinara Sauceand load it up with ooey gooey cheese!
What's in Portobello Mushroom Pizza
- Portobello mushrooms
- Mozzarella cheese
- Low Carb Marinara Sauce
- Italian sausage
- Uncured pepperoni slices
- Dried oregano
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Portobello Mushroom Keto Pizza
Preheat your oven to 375F
You'll want to clean mushrooms by brushing over them gently with a slightly damp paper towel, remove the stems and scrape out the gills.
Don't over bake them because want the to still be slightly firm. When they have finished baking, remove them from the oven. Increase the temp of your oven to 425F.
Flip the mushroom caps over and soak up any liquid with paper towels.
Now comes the fun part! To the mushroom caps, add some marinara sauce, part of the mozzarella cheese, sausage, pepperoni and top with the remaining cheese.
Place them back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden. If the cheese isn’t melted enough, bake for another 2 minutes on the top rack of your oven.
Allow to cool slightly before serving. Garnish with a little sweet basil and enjoy!
Tips for Keeping Portobello Mushrooms Fresh
- As soon as you get you get Portobello mushrooms home, take them out of the plastic container and put them in a paper bag or you can lay them out flat on paper towels. Moisture is not a mushroom's friend so this will allow them to dry out some.
- Once you've dried them out, put the bag or paper towels in the fridge. They'll keep longer if they are stored chilled.
- Don't store mushrooms in any type air tight bag or container because condensation will build up and they will go bad quickly.
- Don't clean them until right before you're ready to use them. Using a slightly damp paper towel, gently clean each mushroom. A lot of opinions are you should never wash mushrooms. The reason why is because mushrooms act like sponges and will soak up the water, rendering soggy and mushy cooked mushrooms. However, if you have stubborn debris, you can quickly run that spot under the water.
- Before using them, look for any that have become slimy and discard them. Sometimes if they've been in the container that's been wrapped in plastic at the store, the ones on the bottom will start to go bad sooner.
Are Mushrooms Keto?
Yes indeed! They are low carb and full of nutrients. They are a good source of protein, fiber, vitamin C, folate, iron, zinc as well as a great source of vitamin B6, vitamin D, thiamin, riboflavin, potassium, copper, and selenium.
What are the Carbs in Portobello?
There're approximately 3.5 grams of carbs per serving! They're so hearty and filling and they perfect for a meat replacement!
Variations for Portobello Keto Pizza
There's honestly an endless amount of possibilities of toppings for this gluten free pizza. Choose your favorite and go for it. Here're some of the more popular toppings to give you inspiration:
- Turn these Keto pizzas into a BBQ pork pizza with leftover shredded Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs and Homemade Keto BBQ Sauce instead of the marinara.
- You can also use shredded chicken with Low Carb Alfredo as the sauce. Top with cheddar instead of mozzarella for a really different spin.
- Olives, sautéed bell peppers and feta cheese give this gluten free pizza a Mediterranean spin.
- For a classic that kids adore, make this a cheeseburger pizza by adding hamburger meat and cheddar to the caps, bake until the cheese is melted then drizzle with Homemade Sugar Free Thousand Island Dressing.
Also be sure to try these Keto Pizza Rollups!
More Keto Mushroom Recipes
- Marinated Mushrooms
- Pork Chops with Bacon Mushroom Gravy
- Sautéed Mushrooms
- Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup with Mushrooms
- Beef Stroganoff Casserole
- Cauliflower Mushroom "Risotto"
- Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
- Herb Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Mushroom Gravy
More Low Carb Pizza Recipes
- Pizza Stuffed Peppers
- Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza Pie
- Pepperoni Pizza with Fathead Dough
- Pepperoni Pizza Bagels
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Portobello Mushroom Mini Pizza
- Remove from the oven and increase oven temperature to 425F. Flip the mushroom caps over and soak up any liquid with paper towels. Add the marinara sauce, part of the mozzarella cheese, sausage, pepperoni and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake again at 400F for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden. If the cheese isn’t melted enough, bake for another 2 minutes on the top rack of your oven. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Garnish with a little sweet basil and enjoy!
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.SHARE ON FACEBOOK
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the button above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.