This easy Keto Taco Salad recipe has all the mouth-watering flavors of tacos with savory taco meat, fresh veggies and creamy homemade chipotle dressing the whole family will love.
FREE KETO FAT BOMBS EBOOK
Who doesn't love the wonderful flavors in tacos? While taco's are certainly delicious, they aren't exactly healthy or considered low carb. But there's no reason for you to miss out! Just take all those same flavors and make them in to a Taco Salad.
This simple but hearty low carb taco salad starts out with ground beef seasoned with savory Keto taco seasonings. Adding your own seasoning prevents unwanted preservatives and added sugars often found in the prepackaged seasoning packets.
Juicy, ripe tomatoes, creamy avocados, black olives and cheese all come together for a low carb salad that is a crowd pleasing, complete and nutritious meal!
The wonderful thing about this Keto Taco Salad recipe is you can make it family style in a big salad bowl or you can make individual sized portions depending on how many you're feeding. It's simple, versatile and SO tasty!
What's in Keto Taco Salad
- Easy Taco Meat
- Romaine lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- Cheddar cheese
- Black olives
- Sour cream
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Taco Salad
While you are making the batch of Easy Taco Meat, you can start to prepare the salad.
Start by washing, drying and chopping up the romaine lettuce.
Add the chopped lettuce to a large salad bowl or smaller bowls if you're making individual size salads.
Next, you'll add the taco meat right in the center of the bowl.
Take your tomatoes, slice the them in half and add them on one side. This not only makes them easier to eat, but they also provide a little extra juice to the salad.
Peel and slice the avocado and add them in the salad. Add the black olives, as many or as few as you like.
Sprinkle in the grated cheddar cheese, again, as much or as little as you prefer. And finally add a healthy dollop of sour cream.
While you can top it with any Keto salad dressing, let me really encourage you to try this easy to make Chipotle Lime Ranch Dressing drizzled over the top! It takes the flavors to a whole new level! The combination of taco seasonings in the Keto taco meat with chipotle and lime in the dressing is simply a flavor marriage made in heaven!
Tips for the Best Keto Taco Salad
While this taco salad recipe couldn't be easier, here are a few tips that will ensure you have the perfect salad every time!
- What lettuce is best for Keto Taco Salad? Romaine lettuce just reigns supreme in the crunch department! It's crispy leaves make the ultimate salad. I know there are a lot of iceberg lettuce fans out there and if that's your preference, the good news is, it works great, as does butter lettuce. But some loose leaf lettuce, like spring mix, has very delicate leaves and tends to wilt under the the heaviness of the other ingredients.
- Don't skip the fat: You'll want to use ground beef with 80/20% to 85/15% fat to ensure your Keto taco meat recipe turns out juicy and full of flavor. In addition to using a fatty content, using good quality ground beef is also a key to flavor. I use grass-fed which is readily available in most all grocery stores. I wait until it goes on sale and stock up on several packages to freeze.
- Shred your own cheese: This may come as a surprise, but did you know prepackaged cheese is coated with anti-caking ingredients, like corn starch? Shredding your own only takes a few minutes in your food processor. Freshly grated cheese melts better and taste better too!
- Meal prep in advance: If you know ahead of time when you'll be making this salad, you can pre-chop the lettuce and tomatoes and store them in an airtight container the night before. Then all you'll have to do is slice the avocado and cook the meat and assemble the salad. You can even cook the taco meat in advance, but it has its best flavor when served fresh.
- Dealing with picky eaters? No worries! This low carb taco salad is so versatile. You can leave off or add to any of the ingredients and make it suitable to who you'll be serving. You can even change up the Keto dressing, like with this Homemade Keto Ranch Dressing! You can change the black olives for green, add onion, or even change up the cheese. It's such a fun recipe...make it your own!
Is Taco Salad Keto?
It certainly is! But when I say that, it's with a slight word of caution. It's really important to use your own seasonings and homemade dressing if at all possible.
There are so many unhealthy preservatives in store-bought products. Making your own only takes a few steps but tastes so much better! And the best part is, you know exactly what you're eating.
More Keto Mexican Recipes
Mexican food has some of my favorite flavors. If you're as big a fan as I am, you'll love these low carb Mexican recipes:
- Easy Taco Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Poblano
- Baked Southwest Skillet
- Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
More Keto Salad Recipes
For those days when you are craving something on the lighter side or something cool and crisp but want to be mindful of carbs, try some of these low carb salad recipes:
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Apricot Vinaigrette
- Keto " Big Mac" Cheeseburger Salad
- Jalapeno Popper Egg Salad
- Zucchini Zoodle "Pasta" Salad
- Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Classic Cobb with Ranch Dressing
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Taco Salad
- While you are making the batch of Easy Taco Meat, you can start to prepare the salad.
- Start by washing, drying and chopping up the romaine lettuce. Add the lettuce to a large salad bowl.
- Add the taco meat in the center of the bowl. Slice the tomatoes in half, then add them on one side.
- Slice the avocado and olives, then add them in the salad. Add in the cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- Top with a drizzle of the Chipotle Lime Ranch Dressing and serve.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.