A smooth, creamy and refreshing coconut ice cream made with coconut milk, extract, shredded coconut with a hint of lime zest!
Coconuts are one of the quintessential Keto foods and I love it in any form I can use it! Coconut oil, butter, milk, shredded, you name it, I use it! So it's only fitting that I make a low carb homemade coconut ice cream, but this one has a little twist...of lime!
It's a perfect refreshing summer-time treat and without all the guilt of traditional sugary ice cream.
For the best outcome, using an ice cream maker is recommended, but you can also make it without one. Just add the mixture to a cold glass dish and place in the freezer, then mix every 30 minutes or so until it is frozen to the consistency you prefer.
What's in Keto Coconut Ice Cream
- Heavy cream
- Unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- Egg yolks
- Swerve confectioners
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut Extract
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Low Carb Coconut Ice Cream
Add the bowl and paddle of your ice cream maker to the freezer and allow to freeze over night. This is a really important tip because it allows the ice cream to freeze a lot quicker.
Add the heavy cream and coconut milk to a saucepan over medium heat and heat to a gentle simmer.
Whisk the egg yolks and Swerve together, then set aside.
Temper the eggs with the cream- add a ladle full of the cream to the egg mixture, whisking the whole time.
Add another ladle full of cream, then add the mixture into the saucepan with the cream and cook on medium-low for about 8-10 minutes (stirring constantly), or until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon and stays separated.
Remove from the heat and whisk in the salt, shredded coconut, vanilla and coconut extracts and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Cover with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic is touching the custard, so it doesn't form a skin.
Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour or over night. It’s important to make sure the custard is very cold before adding to the ice cream maker, so the longer it chills, the better.
Remove the chilled custard from the fridge, stir in the lime zest and pour into your ice cream maker. Churn for 25-30 minutes, according to the instructions on your ice cream maker (mine took 25 minutes).
Once it’s the consistency of soft-serve, it’s ready! Store in the freezer.
The ice cream will harden as it sits in the freezer. So when you are ready to serve it, allow it to sit out on the counter for a few minutes, before serving.
What are the Carbs in Ice Cream?
Ice cream made the traditional way with sugary ingredients is insanely high in carbs, sometimes with as many carbs as 45 grams per serving!
By substituting the sugar with Swerve and using all Keto friendly ingredients, there is absolutely no reason to miss out on your favorite frozen dessert. This Keto coconut ice cream recipe only has 3 net carbs per serving! Talk about a Keto makeover!
Add Ins for Keto Coconut Ice Cream
If you are anything like me, I just love to take things to the next level with creating new flavors from existing recipes. Here are just a few ways you can change up this low carb ice cream recipe to give it a new twist each time:
Chocolate Chips- Sugar free chocolate chips give this ice cream a wonderful coconut/chocolate flavor combination and the chips add just a tad bit of crunch.
Almonds-If you are wanting even more crunch, chopped roasted almond added to the mixture before churning goes perfectly with the coconut!
More Keto Coconut Recipes
- Coconut Shrimp with Dipping Sauce
- Thai Curry Coconut Grilled Chicken
- Coconut Lime Cupcakes
- Coconut Lime Fat Bombs
- Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
- Coconut Granola
- Strawberry Coconut Fat Bombs
- Thai Red Curry Coconut Pork
More Keto Frozen Sweet Treats
- Neapolitan Popsicles
- Strawberry Cheesecake Popsicles
- Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Strawberry Coconut Popsicles
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 - 13.5 ounce cans unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 13.5 ounce can unsweetened full fat coconut cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- ¾ cup allulose
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, very finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure coconut extract
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
- Pinch of salt
- Place 3 cans of coconut milk and cream in the fridge overnight. Also place the insert to your ice cream maker in the freezer.The next day, take the 3 cans, scoop out the solid cream and discard (or save for another recipe) the water.
- Add to a saucepan along with the heavy cream and salt, heat on low until almost simmering.
- Take a ladle full of the hot cream mixture and temper the egg yolks by slowly whisking it in. Repeat once more, then whisk the tempered egg mixture into the saucepan with the cream.
- Cook on low for 8-10 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Whisk in the xanthan gum, vanilla and coconut extracts, then remove from the heat. Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve.
- Fold in the shredded coconut and cover with plastic wrap, making sure it’s touching the custard directly. This helps to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or until very cold.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and churn for 25-30 minutes, or according to the instructions of your model. Mine took exactly 30 minutes for the consistency of soft serve ice cream. You can serve it as is or transfer to an ice cream storage container and allow to firm up in the freezer.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.Save 60% OFF EBOOK BUNDLE
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.