This Keto Coconut Ice Cream is rich, smooth and very refreshing. The super creamy texture is just like traditional ice cream and doesn't freeze rock hard!
FREE KETO FAT BOMBS EBOOK
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Keto Coconut Ice Cream Recipe
- Smooth and creamy texture like traditional ice cream
- Bold coconut flavor
- Easy to make
- Family friendly
Coconuts are one of the quintessential Keto foods and I love it in any form I can use it! Coconut oil, butter, milk, shredded, you name it, I use it! So it's only fitting that I make a low carb homemade coconut ice cream.
It's a perfect refreshing summer-time treat and without all the guilt of traditional sugary ice cream.
For the best outcome, using an ice cream maker is recommended, but you can also make it without one. Just add the mixture to a cold glass dish and place in the freezer, then mix every 30 minutes or so until it is frozen to the consistency you prefer.
What's in Keto Coconut Ice Cream
- Heavy cream
- Unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- Unsweetened full fat coconut cream
- Egg yolks
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut Extract
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
How to Make Keto Coconut Ice Cream
Place 3 cans of coconut milk and cream in the fridge overnight. Also place the insert to your ice cream maker in the freezer.
The next day, take the 3 cans, scoop out the solid cream and discard the water.
Tip: Instead of discarding the coconut water, you can save it in the fridge to use in another recipe.
Add to a saucepan along with the heavy cream and salt, heat on low until almost simmering.
Take a ladle full of the hot cream mixture and temper the egg yolks by slowly whisking it in. Repeat once more, then whisk the tempered egg mixture into the saucepan with the cream.
Tip: Don't rush this step, or you'll risk scrambling the eggs. No one wants scrambled eggs in their ice cream!
Cook on low for 8-10 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Whisk in the xanthan gum, vanilla and coconut extracts, then remove from the heat. Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve.
Tip: Straining it ensures there are no lumps of eggs in the custard.
Fold in the shredded coconut.
Cover with plastic wrap, making sure it’s touching the custard directly.
Tip: This helps to prevent a skin from forming on the custard.
Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or until very cold.
Pour into your ice cream maker and churn for 25-30 minutes, or according to the instructions of your model. Mine took exactly 30 minutes for the consistency of soft serve ice cream. You can serve it as is or transfer to an ice cream storage container and allow to firm up in the freezer.
Absolutely, as long as you use the unsweetened version.
Is coconut milk good for Keto?
It’s actually great for Keto because it’s loaded with healthy fats and is very low in carbs.
How many carbs are in coconut ice cream?
Traditional coconut ice cream can range anywhere from around 22 carbs on up. This Keto ice cream recipe however, has only 4 net carbs!
Will Keto ice cream kick you out of ketosis?
No, this ice cream recipe, as well as all others on this website will not kick you out of ketosis.
How do you keep ice cream from freezing too hard?
I use 2 ingredients that help prevent Keto ice cream from freezing too hard: allulose and xanthan gum. I highly recommend using both, or at the very least, allulose as your sweetener.
What does adding egg yolk to ice cream do?
Egg yolks help to stabilize ice cream, which is why you will see anywhere from 3-5 used in any given ice cream recipe. They also give ice cream a more rich and creamy texture, verses a lighter, less smooth and more milky texture when you use less egg yolks.
Add Ins for Keto Coconut Ice Cream
If you are anything like me, I just love to take things to the next level with creating new flavors from existing recipes. Here are just a few ways you can change up this low carb ice cream recipe to give it a new twist each time:
Chocolate Chips- Sugar free chocolate chips give this ice cream a wonderful coconut/chocolate flavor combination and the chips add just a tad bit of crunch.
Almonds-If you are wanting even more crunch, chopped roasted almond added to the mixture before churning goes perfectly with the coconut!
Lime Zest- The original recipe for this coconut ice cream had some freshly grated lime zest in it. I removed it when I updated it, adding more coconut cream and making it more luscious. You can still add that little punch of lime if you'd like though.
Can you eat ice cream on Keto?
You sure can! Here are some Keto Ice Cream Recipes you can enjoy guilt-free:
- No-Churn Raspberry Ice Cream
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- No-Churn Coffee Chip Ice Cream
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- No-Churn Lemon Ice Cream
- Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Coconut Ice Cream
- 2 - 13.5 ounce cans unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 13.5 ounce can unsweetened full fat coconut cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- ¾ cup allulose
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, very finely shredded
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure coconut extract
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
- Pinch of salt
- Place 3 cans of coconut milk and cream in the fridge overnight. Also place the insert to your ice cream maker in the freezer.The next day, take the 3 cans, scoop out the solid cream and discard (or save for another recipe) the water.
- Add to a saucepan along with the heavy cream and salt, heat on low until almost simmering.
- Take a ladle full of the hot cream mixture and temper the egg yolks by slowly whisking it in. Repeat once more, then whisk the tempered egg mixture into the saucepan with the cream.
- Cook on low for 8-10 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Whisk in the xanthan gum, vanilla and coconut extracts, then remove from the heat. Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve.
- Fold in the shredded coconut and cover with plastic wrap, making sure it’s touching the custard directly. This helps to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or until very cold.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and churn for 25-30 minutes, or according to the instructions of your model. Mine took exactly 30 minutes for the consistency of soft serve ice cream. You can serve it as is or transfer to an ice cream storage container and allow to firm up in the freezer.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.
*Originally published on June 10, 2018, updated on August 5, 2022 with improvements to the recipe, new photos, helpful tips and information.