Lemon Curd Cake is made with delicate lemon cake layers then topped with the best lemon frosting to make this one amazing Keto cake.
If you're obsessed with lemons like I am, you will love, love, love this cake! I use this Easy 5 Minute Lemon Curd in between layers of moist and fluffy lemon cake and top it with a mouth-watering creamy lemon frosting. It just might be the best lemony indulgence I've ever had!
This Keto Lemon cake has the most amazing flavor, it tastes just like a little burst of sunshine on your plate! Lemony goodness is woven through the cake, filling and frosting. It has the perfect balance of sweet and tart that you and your guests will find delightfully delicious.
Not only is it the most delectable cake you'll make, it's so pretty! It's the perfect dessert for someone's birthday or special event, or even for those times when you just want something a little extra decadent.
What's in Keto Lemon Cake
- Super fine almond flour
- Oat fiber
- Lemon juice and zest
- Sour cream
- Keto Lemon Curd
- Cream cheese
- Mascarpone cheese
- Swerve Confectioners
- Heavy cream
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Cake
To Make the Gluten Free Lemon Cake Layers
Preheat oven to 325F.
In a separate bowl, add in the eggs, sour cream, Swerve, heavy cream, vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest, then mix using a hand mixer.
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet and pour the battery evenly into 7 thin layer cake pans lined with parchment rounds and sprayed with nonstick spray. Alternatively, you can use standard 9 inch cake pans and only fill about ¼ of the way up.
Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted, comes out clean. Because these layers are super thin, the cake cooks pretty quickly.
Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting. This is an important step! It will be tempting to rush it, but in order for the cake to keep its shape and not crumble, you'll want it to cool.
For the Low Carb Lemon Filling
Add the lemon curd, mascarpone cheese and Swerve to a separate mixing bowl.
Blend until smooth and creamy.
For the Sugar-Free Lemon Frosting
Add the cream cheese and mascarpone cheese to a mixing bowl and whip together until fluffy. Add in the remaining frosting ingredients and mix until everything is well combined.
To Assemble the Cake
Make sure you leave a small border around the edge, because with each layer you add, the filling will spread slightly.
Repeat the process 5 more times, then top with the 7th layer of the cake. Add some of the frosting over the top and gently spread it over the sides. You can use an offset spatula or cake decorating comb to smooth the edges around the cake.
Finally, you can decorate the top of the cake by piping put rosettes or decorate with slices of lemon or fresh berries.
Note: If you don't want to make all 7 layers, you can make 3-4 instead. Just be sure to increase the cooking time accordingly.
What is Lemon Curd?
Curd, or curdling is the process of separation. Lemon curd is made from eggs, butter, sweetener and lemon, that is gently cooked until it separates then gently cooked longer until when whisked it comes together forming a soft, smooth, lemony spread.
What are the Carbs in Lemons? Are Lemons Keto?
This recipe uses fresh lemon juice and for those on Keto or low carb diets, we know the carbs in fruit can be too high. However, there's good news about lemon juice. For an entire ounce there's less than 2 grams of carbs. That makes lemons a great Keto option.
And because lemons pack such a powerful punch of flavor you don't need a lot to get amazing flavor.
Tips for Baking A Cake with Almond Flour
- If you are baking cupcakes or a cake and use almond flour only, you could possibly end up with a denser textured cake than you prefer. This recipe cuts the almond flour with a little oat fiber. It makes the batter have a lighter and more airy texture.
- Just cool it! The cake layers that is. Baked goods made with almond flour are more delicate than those made with regular flour due to the absence of gluten. to keep you cake from crumbling, allow the layers to cool in the pan (that has been lined) before transferring them to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
- To make the best keto cakes made with almond flour, make sure you're using fresh almond flour. Contrary to being called “flour,” it should not be stored in your pantry. Instead, it's best to store in fridge. Almond flour is full of oils, making it prone going rancid. When kept in the fridge it will last up to 6 months. Or, you could freeze it for up to a year.
- Follow the recipe regarding dry to wet ingredient ratio's. With most baking, there is a slight bit of science to it. Too much liquid will leave you a mushy mess and too little liquid will result in a dry crumbly cake.
- Understand that almond flour and coconut flour are not treated the same in baking. This is because coconut flour soaks up way more moisture than almond flour, so you will have to add additional wet ingredients to account for that.
What is Oat Fiber? Is Oat Fiber Keto?
Oat Fiber is made from grinding the outer husks of oats. How healthy is oat fiber? It's pure insoluble fiber, which doesn't dissolve in water and isn't broken down in the digestive tract, so it has zero net carbs and is perfect for a Keto Diet. It helps give a more traditional texture and that's why I use it so often. Check out all the Keto Oat Fiber Recipes you can make!
What is a Substitute for Oat Fiber?
To get the best results, it's best to use oat fiber if you can. If you're unable to find it, try a combination of psyllium husk powder and coconut flour. Since both are very absorbent, you might have to add more liquid.
I hope you enjoy this Keto Lemon Layer Cake. The thin layers with lemon curd and lemon frosting make this such a elegant dessert. There are a few extra steps involved in making it, but it's really worth it.
More Keto Lemon Recipes
- Strawberry Lemonade Cake
- Blueberry Lemon Scones
- Lemon Cheesecake Mousse
- Mini Lemon Curd Tarts
- Lemon Bars
- Lemon Chicken Tenders over Zoodles
- Lemon Mascarpone Tart
- 5 Minute Microwave Lemon Curd
If you'd like to know more about baking on Keto, this article, Keto Baking Made Easy, is loaded with tips and info that you'll find helpful. You might also check out my Keto Sweet Treats eBook that has 50 amazing Keto dessert recipes, all with color pics, macros and more! I'm offering it at 50% off when you subscribe to my free weekly emails here.
FOLLOW ME FOR KETO RECIPES POSTED DAILY
Keto Lemon Curd Layer Cake
For the Cake Layers
For the Filling
- 1 batch Keto Lemon Curd
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Swerve Confectioners
To Make the Cake Layers
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a separate bowl, add in the eggs, sour cream, Swerve, heavy cream, vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest, then mix using a hand mixer.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted, comes out clean. Because these layers are super thin, the cake cooks pretty quickly. Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting.
To Make the Filling
- Add the lemon curd, mascarpone cheese and Swerve to a separate mixing bowl and blend until smooth and creamy.
To Make the Frosting
- Add the cream cheese and mascarpone cheese to a mixing bowl and whip together until fluffy. Add in the remaining frosting ingredients and mix until everything is well combined.
To Assemble the Cake
- Repeat the process 5 more times, then top with the 7th layer of the cake. Add some of the frosting over the top and gently spread it over the sides. You can use a cake decorating comb to smooth the edges around the cake.
- Finally, you can decorate the top of the cake by piping put rosettes or decorate with slices of lemon or fresh berries.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the buttons above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.Keto Cooking Christian eBook Collection
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.