These mouthwatering Keto Sloppy Joes feature tender ground beef, simmered in a classic sweet and tangy sauce served on a pillowy soft low carb bun. They're a delicious, sugar-free version on the classic Manwich.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love this Keto Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 🛒 What’s in Keto Sloppy Joes
- 🔪 How to Make Sloppy Joes from Scratch
- Other Delicious Ways to Serve Sloppy Joe Filling
- Recipe Variations and Add-ins
- How Did Sloppy Joes Get Their Name?
- What's the Difference Between Manwich and Sloppy Joe?
- How Do You Thicken Sloppy Joes Without Flour?
- More Keto Ground Beef Recipes
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Keto Sloppy Joes Recipe
- Tender ground beef braised in classic Sloppy Joe sauce
- Easy to make in 30 minutes
- Perfect for a busy weeknight dinner
- Great for Keto on a budget
- Low carb substitute for Manwiches
If you're looking for a delicious and easy dinner recipe, look no further than these Keto Sloppy Joes! This classic American comfort food gets a low-carb makeover with ground beef cooked in a homemade tangy tomato sauce that's made with sugar-free ingredients.
Not only are these sandwiches satisfyingly messy and fun to eat, but they're also a healthier alternative to the traditional version. Whether you choose to enjoy them wrapped in lettuce or opt for a low-carb bun, these Keto Sloppy Joes deliver all those same iconic flavors, without the excess carbs.
One of the things you'll love most about this recipe is that you'll only have to cook one meal to satisfy the whole family. Kids love Sloppy Joes!
🛒 What’s in Keto Sloppy Joes
- Ground beef
- Tomato sauce
- No sugar added ketchup
- Red bell pepper
- Yellow onion
- Brown monk fruit/allulose
- Olive oil
- White wine vinegar
- Yellow mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chili powder
- Ground black pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Sloppy Joes from Scratch
Heat a skillet to medium and add in the ground beef and half the salt and pepper.
Cook until browned, then remove and set aside.
Add in the olive oil, yellow onion, bell peppers and remaining salt and pepper.
Sauté until they are slightly tender, then add in the garlic and sauté for another 15 seconds, making sure not to brown it.
Stir in the remaining ingredients.
Add the ground beef back in and stir until combined.
Simmer uncovered on low, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened nicely.
Tip: The reason you want to simmer uncovered is so the steam can escape and help to thicken up the sauce perfectly.
Serve over your favorite Keto Buns and store leftovers in the fridge for a few days or freeze.
Other Delicious Ways to Serve Sloppy Joe Filling
- Lettuce wraps: Simply spoon the filling onto the lettuce leaves and roll them up for a refreshing and low-carb option.
- Stuffed portobello mushrooms: Fill grilled or roasted portobello mushrooms with some of the Sloppy Joe mixture.
- Stuffed bell peppers: Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and membranes, and stuff them with the Sloppy Joe filling. Bake until the peppers are fork tender.
- Keto tortillas: Use these Keto Tortillas as a wrap Sloppy Joe filling.
- Zucchini boats: Slice zucchinis in half lengthwise and scoop out the center. Fill the zucchini boats with the Sloppy Joe mixture. top with cheese and bake until tender.
- Cauliflower rice bowls: Serve the Sloppy Joe filling over a bed of cauliflower rice for a low-carb option.
- Stuffed avocado: Halve avocados and remove the pit. Fill the hollowed-out avocado halves with the Sloppy Joe filling for a creamy, avocado-twist.
Recipe Variations and Add-ins
- Smoky chipotle: Stir in some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to give your Sloppy Joe a smoky and spicy kick.
- Fresh herbs: Add a burst of freshness by adding in chopped herbs like cilantro, parsley, or basil into the Sloppy Joe mixture.
- Bacon: Add crispy cooked bacon to the filling on top. The bacon adds a smoky layer that takes the flavor to a whole new level.
- Spicy kick: If you love heat, add some chopped jalapeños or a dash of hot sauce to the Sloppy Joe mixture. You can even add some of this tangy Buffalo Sauce to the mixture.
- Sauteed mushrooms: Incorporate some of those sliced Sautéed Mushrooms into the Sloppy Joe filling to add a meaty and earthy flavor.
- Italian-Inspired: Add some Italian flair by mixing in some of this dry Italian Seasoning Mix.
How Did Sloppy Joes Get Their Name?
The story of the origin of the name "Sloppy Joes" has a couple of versions. One story that is most commonly believed is that the name originated from a cook named Joe in Sioux City, Iowa, who served loose meat sandwiches in the 1930s. The sandwiches were so messy, that they became known as "Sloppy Joes" after the cook.
What's the Difference Between Manwich and Sloppy Joe?
The main difference between the two is that Manwich is a ready-made sauce that you simply need to heat up with ground beef. Sloppy Joes require you to make the sauce from scratch using various ingredients.
How Do You Thicken Sloppy Joes Without Flour?
The sauce for these Sloppy Joes should thicken as it simmers with an offset lid. If you want an extra thick sauce, you can use tomato paste instead of the tomato sauce. Keep in mind that paste has a more intense flavor.
More Keto Ground Beef Recipes
- Italian Meatballs
- Instant Pot Chili
- Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
- Beef Stroganoff Casserole
- Swedish Meatballs
- Cheeseburger Salad
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground beef, I use grass fed 85%
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce, lowest carb
- ¼ cup no sugar added ketchup
- ¼ cup red bell pepper
- ¼ cup yellow onion
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown monk fruit/allulose
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a skillet to medium and add in the ground beef and half the salt and pepper. Cook until browned, then remove and set aside.
- Add in the olive oil, yellow onion, bell peppers and remaining salt and pepper.
- Sauté until they are slightly tender, then add in the garlic and sauté for another 15 seconds, making sure not to brown it.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Add the ground beef back in and mix until combined.
- Simmer uncovered on low, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened nicely.
- Serve over your favorite Keto Buns and store leftovers in the fridge for a few days or freeze.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.