Mushrooms sautéed in butter, garlic and white wine is an easy Keto side dish that is packed with flavor!
FREE KETO FAT BOMBS EBOOK
While this is certainly an easy recipe to make, these mushrooms aren't lacking flavor in the least! Sautéing the mushrooms for at least 10-15 minutes allows amazing flavor to develop.
Trust me when I tell you they'll impress just about anyone you serve them to. These mushrooms are such a simple recipe that only uses a handful of ingredients. It's a perfect last minute low carb side dish that goes with just about anything.
Mushrooms are incredibly high in potassium too! It's important for anyone on a Ketogenic diet, to consume enough potassium. Losing water weight causes us to lose electrolytes: sodium, magnesium and potassium. Read more about this here!
So including foods that are rich in potassium like avocado, spinach, zucchini, broccoli and mushrooms is important. Each serving of these mushrooms has 423mg of potassium!!
What's in Sautéed Keto Mushrooms
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- Garlic clove
- White wine (I use Pinot Grigio)
- Fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
Best Way to Sauté Mushrooms
Clean, then cut the smaller mushrooms in half, and quarter the larger ones. I included some tips below about selecting and cleaning mushrooms below so be sure to check them out.
Mushrooms shrink considerably when cooked so don't worry if you think the slices are too thick.
Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add in the butter and olive oil, once melted add in the mushrooms.
Sauté for at least 8-10 minutes (stirring often) or until you have developed some good color on them, this is key! If you cook them for less time, you won't get the same deep rich flavor, so don't rush them!
First, they will seem dry, but as they continue to cook, they will start to give up liquid.
Continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Make a well in the center of the pan and add in the garlic.
Sauté for about 20 seconds, be careful not to burn it. Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up those brown bits of flavor.
Add in the salt and pepper and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until most of the wine has evaporated.
Stir in the parsley and serve. You are simply going to love these sautéed mushrooms. If
These are great sautéed mushrooms for steak, chicken, pork or whatever you like.
If you love mushrooms as much as I do, check out this recipe for Marinated Keto Mushrooms.
Are Mushrooms Keto? Carbs in Mushrooms
Each serving has 27 calories, 0.1 g fat, 2.5 g of protein, and approximately 3.5 net g of carbs.
But it’s not just the low carbs that make them great for Keto. Mushrooms are mild in flavor and take on the flavor of whatever you season them with and can be a wonderful vessel for healthy fats, such as olive oil, cheeses, even butter.
Tips for Buying and Cleaning Mushrooms
As promised I am listing some of my best tips about mushrooms that'll help ensure you have the cleanest and freshest mushrooms:
- As soon as you get fresh mushrooms home, take them out of the plastic container and place them in a paper bag or you can lay them out flat on paper towels.
- Place the bag or paper towels in the fridge. They’ll keep longer if they are stored chilled.
- Fresh mushrooms should never be stored in any type air tight bag or container because condensation will build up and they will go bad quickly.
- There are different schools of thought on the best way to clean mushrooms. For best results, don’t clean them until right before you’re ready to use them. Using a slightly damp paper towel, gently clean each mushroom. A lot of opinions are you should never wash mushrooms. The reason why is because mushrooms act like sponges and will soak up the water, rendering soggy and mushy cooked mushrooms. However, if you have stubborn debris, you can quickly run that spot under the water.
- As you’re cleaning them, look for any that have become slimy and discard them. Sometimes if they’ve been in the container that’s been wrapped in plastic at the store, the ones on the bottom will start to go bad sooner.
What Can I Serve with Sautéed Mushrooms?
- A salad with Creamy Garlic Italian Dressing and these Keto mushrooms add amazing texture and flavor.
- Serve on your next antipasti platter or charcuterie board.
- Serve as a Keto side dish with grilled steak or chicken. Just plate your grilled meat and drop a few mushrooms right on top.
- Allow the mushrooms to cool slightly. then mix with mini mozzarella balls and roasted red peppers for a quick Italian salad.
- Make a fantastic mushroom tapenade! In the bowl of a food processor, add sautéed mushrooms, parsley, extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic, and just a few red pepper flakes. Pulse just until everything is a finely diced. Serve with your favorite low carb veggies, such as bell pepper slices or celery or for something really delicious, serve it with these Homemade Keto Tortilla Chips.
- Top your morning omelet with these low carb mushrooms. They add a wonderful buttery flavor to scrambled eggs as well.
More Keto Side Dishes
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Creamed Spinach
- Grilled Broccolini
- Green Beans Almondine
- Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Easy Sautéed Mushrooms
- 1 ½ pounds baby bella mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine, I use Pinot Grigio
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean, then cut the smaller mushrooms in half, and quarter the larger ones. Once cooked, they will shrink considerably. Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add in the butter and olive oil, once melted add in the mushrooms.
- Sauté for at least 8-10 minutes (stirring ofteor until you have developed some good color on them, this is key! If you cook them for less time, you won't get the same amazing flavor, so don't rush them! First, they will seem dry, but as they continue to cook, they will start to give up their liquid.
- Once most of the liquid has evaporated, make a well in the center of the pan and add in the garlic. Sauté for about 20 seconds, be careful not to burn it. Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up those brown bits of flavor.
- Add in the salt and pepper and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until most of the wine has evaporated. Stir in the parsley and serve on the side of a steak, chicken, pork or whatever you like.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.