This super flavorful chipotle lime marinated chicken is grilled to perfection, creating a healthy low carb dinner you can have ready in minutes.
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
If you're looking for a way to jazz up your next grilled chicken dinner, you've come to the right place.
Smoky flavors from chipotle peppers, cumin and smoked paprika combined with the zestiness of juicy, fresh limes gives this grilled chicken the most amazing flavor. Even your pickiest eaters are going to love this one!
Keto grilled chicken with chipotle lime marinade is perfect for your week's meal planning as well. Save leftovers for a salad, lettuce wraps or served with your favorite low carb dipping sauce.
What's in Smokey Chipotle Lime Grilled Chicken
- Chicken breasts
- Smoked chipotle peppers (in the can)
- Smoked paprika
- Ground cumin
- Onion powder
- Tomato paste
- Garlic clove
- Olive oil
- Pinch of salt
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Smokey Chipotle Lime Grilled Chicken
Then blend until well combined.
Add the chicken to a food storage bag.
Then pour the mixture over the top.
Massage it into the chicken, so that all pieces are well coated.
Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 8 hours, but overnight is best.
Grill the chicken pieces until they reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
Serve with your favorite Keto friendly side dish.
Can I Freeze Leftover Chipotle Lime Grilled Keto Chicken?
You certainly can freeze the leftovers from this Keto grilled chicken recipe. The best way to prevent freezer burn and ensure it stays fresh is to use a food saver to vacuum seal the chicken. If you don't have one, you can wrap the chicken in plastic wrap, then place it in a freezer safe bag for up to a few months.
To thaw, just set the chicken in the fridge overnight. Before serving place it in a covered dish and reheat it in the oven at 350F until warmed through. You can also reheat it in the microwave, but do so on 50% power as to not overcook it.
How Long Should I Marinate Chicken?
At least 8 hours is recommended for this recipe, but overnight is actually even better. This really allows the marinade to be absorbed by the chicken, resulting in a super flavorful end result!
For food safety precaution, you should never allow chicken to marinate more than 2 days, at the very most.
What Keto Side Dish can I Serve with Chipotle and Lime Chicken?
The possbilites are endless, but here are a few great low carb and Keto side dish ideas for you to consider:
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Easy Cole Slaw
- Cheesy Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Jalapeno Popper Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese
- Parmesan Baked Artichoke Hearts
- Creamed Spinach
Are There Carbs in Chicken? Is Chicken Keto?
Just like most all meat, there are zero carbohydrates in chicken breasts.
They're very high in protein. In fact, 80% of the calories in chicken breasts come from protein, and 20% come from fat.
Because there are no carbs in chicken, it's perfectly suitable as a main course on Keto or any low carb diet.
Are Chipotle Peppers Hot?
A chipotle pepper is a roasted and dried smoked jalapeno chili pepper so they do pack a bit of heat, but nothing really dramatic.
When used with other ingredients, like in this marinade recipe, the heat is somewhat diffused giving it just enough spiciness without being an overwhelming amount of heat.
Other Uses for Chipotle Lime Marinade
The deep and rich flavors of this marinade are fantastic for just about anything you want to grill. You can use it with shrimp, skirt/flank steak, brushed over burgers or use it to marinade pork tenderloin.
And if you prefer chicken thighs or drumsticks over breasts, it works just as well. You just can't go wrong with the amazing flavors of chipotle lime!
Depending on what you use it for, if you like your marinade a little more spicy, add a dash of cayenne pepper. If you want it to be a bit more mild, add little more olive oil or use less chipotle. The ingredients are easy to alter to suit your personal taste.
Does Chipotle Lime Keto Chicken Have to Be Grilled?
Grilling certainly lends a lot of additional flavor to this low carb chicken recipe, but if you'd like, you can cook it in a hot cast iron skillet.
Just place the marinated chicken in the hot skillet that you've added a couple tablespoons of light olive oil or avocado oil to. Cook until internal temp reaches 165F. Cooking times for stove top cooking will vary based on the size of the chicken.
The Key to Grilling Perfect Chicken
- Always start off with clean grates on your grill. Because chicken breasts are so lean, they will stick to dirty grates. After you've cleaned the grates, brush them with a little oil to help create a nonstick surface.
- When it comes to chicken breasts, bigger is not always best. Large chicken breasts, over 10-12 ounces, take a long time to cook and can be difficult to cook evenly.
- If you have large chicken breasts or if the chicken breasts are uneven in thickness, pound down the thicker side to the thickness of the thinner side. Or you can opt to butterfly the breasts, if you prefer. Both will ensure even cooking.
- Because boneless, skinless chicken breasts are so lean, they should be grilled quickly over high heat to retain as much moisture as possible.
- Cook chicken breasts for 5-7 minutes on each side. Always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. You want your chicken to cook until it reaches 165F, this usually takes between 10 to 15 minutes.
After you take the chicken off the grill, let them rest for about 10 minutes before cutting. This allows the juice to redistribute throughout the breasts.
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Parmesan
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Francese
- Creamy Poblano Chicken
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Marsala
More Keto Grilling Recipes
- Thai Red Curry Coconut Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Apricot Vinaigrette
- Asian Grilled Chicken with Peanut Ginger Slaw
- Lime Cilantro Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Grilled Chicken with Rosemary Citrus Glaze
- Grilled Lemon Chicken Pesto over Zoodles
- Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
If you're looking for more meal planning inspiration, this article, 25 Easy Meal Prepping Ideas has some really great information you may find useful.
Smokey Chipotle Lime Grilled Chicken
- Add the chicken to a food storage bag and pour the mixture over the top. Massage it into the chicken, so that all pieces are well coated.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 8 hours, but overnight is best. Then grill until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F. I recommend using a meat thermometer so you can be absolutely sure it's cooked through. Serve with your favorite Keto friendly side dish.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.SHARE ON FACEBOOK
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the button above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.