Fresh asparagus roasted in the oven with gooey melted mozzarella cheese and crispy prosciutto crumbled over the top. This is the perfect Keto side dish to serve at your next special occasion or holiday dinner!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You'll Love this Oven Roasted Asparagus
- 🛒 What's in Cheesy Roasted Asparagus
- 🔪 How to Make Roasted Asparagus
- Tips for Making Roasted Asparagus
- Why is Asparagus Good for Keto?
- How Many Carbs in Asparagus?
- What Spices Go Well with Asparagus?
- How Do You Cook Asparagus So it's Not Tough?
- How to Properly Store Asparagus in the Fridge
- What Meat Goes Best with Asparagus?
- More Keto Side Dishes
❤️ Why You'll Love this Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted fresh asparagus with gooey melted cheese
- Prosciutto crisped in the oven and crumbled over the top
- Quick and easy to make in under 20 minutes
- Easy healthy side dish, perfect for busy weeknights
Roasting asparagus in the oven gives them great flavor! Melted mozzarella cheese makes it a little more of a treat.
Crisping up some thinly sliced prosciutto and crumbling it over the top, takes this low carb side dish to a another level! You go from an average veggie side dish, to something really special! If you need a tasty asparagus appetizer, this would be a great option!
This roasted cheesy asparagus with crispy prosciutto crumbled over the top, makes a great Keto holiday side dish to serve at any special occasion dinner. Even your non-Keto guests will absolutely love it!
🛒 What's in Cheesy Roasted Asparagus
- Fresh asparagus
- Uncured prosciutto
- Mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
- Garlic Salt
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Roasted Asparagus
Take the washed and trimmed asparagus, and transfer them to another baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil, garlic salt and pepper. Rub them together, so that all the pieces are coated.
Add both baking sheets to the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Check on the prosciutto and if it has crisped up, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly.
If they haven't crisped up yet, continue baking and check on them every 3-5 minutes to make sure they don't burn.
Once they've cooled, they will crisp up nicely and you can crumble them like bacon.
After the asparagus has baked for 12 minutes, remove them from the oven, add the mozzarella cheese over the tops, leaving the tips and ends exposed.
Increase the oven temperature to 450°F and bake them for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
Transfer the asparagus to a serving platter and add the crispy prosciutto over the top and serve. And there you have it, a beautiful and delicious Keto side dish!
Tips for Making Roasted Asparagus
- There are a number of ways to prepare asparagus, including steamed, boiled or you can even buy it frozen and cook it in the microwave if you're really pressed for time.
- You can also add some Hollandaise Sauce over the top, which tastes absolutely delicious!
- Alternatively, you could use bacon instead, if you're not able to find prosciutto. It will give the asparagus great flavor.
- Mozzarella is a fairly mild cheese that melts beautifully, which makes it perfect for this recipe! Alternatively, you can use Monterey Jack, Fontina, Gruyere or any other cheese that melts well. I wouldn't go the cheddar route though.
- You could also add grated parmesan, Romano or asiago cheese in addition to the mozzarella, just to give it a little extra flavor.
Why is Asparagus Good for Keto?
Besides being low in carbs, asparagus is also very healthy. It's high in fiber, Vitamin K and folate, this low carb vegetable is a great option for a Keto side dish! Asparagus has many health benefits, which you can read about in this article.
How Many Carbs in Asparagus?
One cup of asparagus has 4 net carbs, making it perfectly suitable for a Keto diet!
What Spices Go Well with Asparagus?
For more flavor and a mild smokiness, one of my favorite spices to use is smoked paprika. If you've spent any time on this site, you know I use it often because I do love it!
How Do You Cook Asparagus So it's Not Tough?
The first thing you'll want to do is be sure to trim the woody parts at the bottom of the stems. It might seem like a waste, but trust me you do not want them in your finished dish. They are too fibrous, stringy and very unpleasant to chew on.
They should be fork tender, but not too soft, otherwise they'll become very mushy, which can be just as unappetizing.
How to Properly Store Asparagus in the Fridge
The best way to store asparagus is in the fridge, standing upright in a glass with about an inch of water. Remember that you'll be trimming off those woody ends anyway, so you won't have to worry about them becoming soggy.
Alternatively, you can wrap damp paper towels around them and place them in an open food storage bag in your crisper drawer.
What Meat Goes Best with Asparagus?
Asparagus is really so versatile in that you can serve it alongside just about any protein that you like. Here are some great suggestions to choose from:
- Lemon Chicken
- Baked Salmon with Creamy Dill Sauce
- Cast Iron Steak with Mushrooms
- Pan Fried Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
More Keto Side Dishes
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
- Brussels Sprouts with Hot Bacon Dressing
- Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Cauliflower
- Easy Creamed Spinach
- Jalapeño Popper Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese
Need even more ideas for Keto Side Dishes? Check out these 50 Best Keto Side Dish Recipes roundup!
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Cheesy Roasted Asparagus with Crispy Prosciutto
- Take the washed and trimmed asparagus, and transfer them to another baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil, garlic salt and pepper. Rub them together, so that all the pieces are coated.
- Add both baking sheets to the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Check on the prosciutto and if it has crisped up, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly. If they haven’t crisped up yet, continue baking and check on them every 3-5 minutes to make sure they don’t burn. Once they’ve cooled, they will crisp up nicely and you can crumble them like bacon.
- After the asparagus has baked for 12 minutes, remove them from the oven, add the mozzarella cheese over the tops, leaving the tips and ends exposed. Increase the oven temperature to 450F and bake them for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Transfer the asparagus to a serving platter and add the crispy prosciutto over the top and serve.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
*Originally published on November 1, 2019, updated on August 29, 2023 with new photos, improvements to the recipe and helpful tips.