These tender and juicy Lemon Chicken Thighs are so easy to make and are packed with incredible lemony garlic flavor!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
❤️ Why You'll Love This Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Amazing bright flavors
- Easy to make with simple ingredients
- Perfect for meal prepping, it freezes beautifully
- Family friendly, whether they're following a low carb diet or not
- Dinner ready in just 30 minutes
Whether you're looking for a quick weeknight meal or the perfect entree to serve guests at your next dinner party, you just can't beat this recipe.
These lemon chicken thighs start with boneless and skinless thighs that are pan seared with herbs and spices. They're then combined with a glistening butter lemon sauce, where they simmer away in the same skillet until they're done. Easy, elegant and mouth-wateringly delicious!
I used chicken thighs in this recipe for several reasons. Thighs are easier, faster and are more forgiving if you cook them a little longer than required. Plus, they just taste better!
But if you really prefer white meat, you can certainly chicken breasts or even chicken tenders. If you're using chicken breasts, you'll want to cut them into cutlets or pound them out to about the same thickness of a thigh. This will ensure they cook quicker without drying out.
What's in Keto Lemon Chicken
- Chicken thighs
- Chicken stock
- Olive oil
- Fresh parsley
- Dried basil
- Dried parsley
- Smoked paprika
- Ground pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Lemon Chicken Thighs
Add the dried basil, smoked paprika, dried parsley, salt and pepper to a small bowl and whisk together.
Sprinkle the mixture over both sides of the chicken.
Heat a large skillet to medium and add in the olive oil, half the butter and the chicken.
Sauté for several minutes on both sides, then remove and set aside.
Add in the garlic and sauté for about 20 seconds, careful not to brown it.
Pour in the chicken stock and remaining butter, then simmer for a few minutes or until reduced by about half.
Stir in the lemon juice and zest, then add the chicken back in and cover. Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through or reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F when checked with a meat thermometer.
Serve with the lemon sauce poured over the top and garnish with the fresh parsley. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Tips for the Best Lemon Chicken
Can I Make Lemon Chicken in Advance?
Absolutely! This is a fantastic make ahead recipe. You can make it up to a couple of days in advance or you can make it and freeze it.
To freeze it, cook the chicken until it has reached an internal temperature of 165°F. Remove it from the heat and let it cool completely. Add the chicken to an airtight container that's freezer safe. Cover the chicken with the lemon butter sauce. Store in the freezer for up to a couple of months.
Why is My Chicken Rubbery?
If your chicken ends up rubbery, it most likely means you've overcooked it. Using a meat thermometer will ensure your chicken is completely done without over cooking it every time.
Can Lemon Dry Out My Chicken?
This is a great question! Actually, when lemon juice is applied directly on the chicken without some sort of fat, it can dry it out. The butter in this recipe takes care of that for you by keeping the chicken juicy but allowing the lemon to give it nice flavor.
What Side Dish Goes with Pan Chicken Thighs?
The light butter sauce that bastes this chicken works well with just about any side dish. You can serve it with a simple side dish or any of these great low carb side dishes:
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Creamed Spinach
- Grilled Broccolini
- Green Beans Almondine
- Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
How Do You Make Chicken Flavorful?
For the most part, unseasoned chicken acts as a blank canvas for just about any dish. That means you get to use any your favorite coatings, spices or dipping sauces to give it any flavor you prefer.
For a bold robust flavor, try using this Blackening Seasoning or for a spicy kick this Cajun Seasoning is always a hit.
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- Thai Red Curry Coconut Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Chicken with Rosemary Citrus Glaze
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Tuscan Skillet
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Florentine Skillet
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Creamy Chicken Poblano Chicken
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
- 1 ½ - 2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Add the dried basil, smoked paprika, dried parsley, salt and pepper to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Sprinkle the mixture over both sides of the chicken.
- Heat a large skillet to medium and add in the olive oil, half the butter and the chicken.
- Sauté for several minutes on both sides, then remove and set aside.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for about 20 seconds, careful not to brown it.
- Pour in the chicken stock and remaining butter, then simmer for a few minutes or until reduced by about half.
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest, then add the chicken back in and cover. Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through or reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F when checked with a meat thermometer.
- Serve with the lemon sauce poured over the top and garnish with the fresh parsley. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
Another tasty and easy-to-make recipe from Julianne! Everyone loved this, the chicken is so juicy and flavorful. I served mine over roasted cabbage. YUM!
Keto Cooking Christian
That's awesome to hear! Thank you so much for the sweet comments.
This was easy to make with ingredients I usually have in my kitchen. The sauce was very flavorful and the lemon just enough, not overpowering. My husband loved it! It will definitely become a regular dish for us! I made extra and will use the chicken on a salad tomorrow night.
Keto Cooking Christian
How great that it was husband approved! I am so glad you both enjoyed it. It will make a wonderful salad.