Marinated mushrooms are a super easy Keto friendly appetizer to make. They're loaded with amazing flavor that gets better the longer they sit!
Purchasing store bought marinated mushrooms can be quite a challenge if you're on Keto or a low carb diet because most marinades contain sugar or use canola oil as a base. That's bad news for those that want to keep the carbs as low as possible.
The good news is that this marinated mushroom recipe uses all 100% Keto approved ingredients and they taste even better than the ones you can buy!
This is the best mushroom recipe that just uses a simple marinade with fresh herbal flavors giving them a little punch of flavor. And they are so quick and easy to make, you can have a batch ready in minutes!
They're absolutely amazing served chilled right out of the jar. But they don't just have to be for eaten as a low carb appetizer, they're delicious slightly heated and served as a side dish.
What's in Marinated Mushrooms?
- Baby bella mushrooms
- White wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Lemon thyme
- Dried oregano
- Ground pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Homemade Marinated Mushrooms
Add the mushrooms to a large pot. Add just enough water to just barely cover the mushrooms. Add in ½ cup of white vinegar, turn the heat on high and cover. Be sure you don't add too much water or the mushrooms won't have that vinegary flavor, so only about 1-2 inches depending on the size of your pot.
Once it comes to a boil, remove the lid and allow the mushrooms to boil for 5 minutes.
Then, drain the mushrooms really well, getting out as much of the water as you can. Once they've drained add them to a large mason jar while they're still hot. If you don't have a mason jar, any glass jar with an air tight lid will work.
In a small mixing bowl, add in the remaining ingredients.
Whisk until well combined. Taste the marinade and see if there's enough of each seasoning for your liking. Feel free to add a little more if needed.
Pour the mixture over the mushrooms, making sure to get every last delicious drop out of the bowl.
Then seal the jar and shake to coat all sides of the mushrooms well. This is why an air tight lid is important!
Once they've cooled to room temperature, store them in the fridge for up to a week. For best results, shake the jar every so often to help keep them coated in the marinade.
And that's literally all there is to it. The hardest part of making this marinated mushroom recipe is deciding all the different ways to eat them!
Keep in mind while making this mushroom recipe, they do not freeze well. so only make what you think you will eat within a week.
Ways to Eat Marinated Mushrooms
You can certainly eat marinated mushrooms straight out of the jar, but there're are other ways to enjoy these delicious little gems!
- Slice and add them to your favorite green salad. A salad with Creamy Garlic Italian Dressing and these Keto mushrooms would be amazing.
- Serve on your next antipasti platter or charcuterie board.
- Serve as a Keto side dish with grilled steak or chicken. Just plate your grilled meat and drop a few mushrooms right on top. Let them sit for a few minutes so the warmth of the meat will warm the mushrooms.
- Mix with mini mozzarella balls and roasted red peppers for a quick chilled Italian salad.
- Make a fantastic mushroom tapenade! In the bowl of a food processor, add marinated mushrooms, parsley, extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic, and just a few red pepper flakes. Pulse just until everything is a finely diced. Serve with your favorite low carb veggies, such as bell pepper slices or celery or for something really delicious, serve it with these Homemade Keto Tortilla Chips.
- Top your morning omelet with these low carb mushrooms. They add a wonderful zesty flavor to scrambled eggs as well.
Are Mushrooms Keto?
Absolutely! Mushrooms are very nutritious, low carb, low calorie, and are cholesterol-free. They’re also packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Nutritional values vary depending on the type of mushroom but in general they're a great source of antioxidants, vitamin B and D and potassium. If you'd like to read more about the health benefits of mushrooms, this article on Healthline has a lot of good information.
How Many Carbs in Mushrooms?
Carbs in mushrooms vary slightly based on the type. For this Keto mushroom recipe, I used baby bellas. They have approximately 2.5 net carbs per 3.5 oz. serving, which makes them a perfect low carb option! Most all common types of mushrooms range in 2-4 net carbs per serving.
How to Keep Mushrooms Fresh
One question that is often asked is, " How do I clean mushrooms?" Cleaning and properly storing mushrooms, once you get them home, determines their shelf life. Following these tips can ensure their optimal freshness:
- As soon as you get fresh mushrooms home, take them out of the plastic container and place them in a paper bag or you can lay them out flat on paper towels.
- Place the bag or paper towels in the fridge. They'll keep longer if they are stored chilled.
- Fresh mushrooms should never be stored in any type air tight bag or container because condensation will build up and they will go bad quickly.
- There are different schools of thought on the best way to clean mushrooms. For best results, don't clean them until right before you're ready to use them. Using a slightly damp paper towel, gently clean each mushroom. A lot of opinions are you should never wash mushrooms. The reason why is because mushrooms act like sponges and will soak up the water, rendering soggy and mushy cooked mushrooms. However, if you have stubborn debris, you can quickly run that spot under the water.
- As you're cleaning them, look for any that have become slimy and discard them. Sometimes if they've been in the container that's been wrapped in plastic at the store, the ones on the bottom will start to go bad sooner.
Can I Use Other Spices to Marinate Mushrooms?
Sure! A key to marinating mushrooms is understanding they will take on flavors really well so choose your seasonings well.
More Keto Mushroom Recipes
- Pork Chops with Bacon and Mushroom Gravy
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Cauliflower Mushroom "Risotto"
- Herb Crusted Tenderloin with Mushroom Gravy
- Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
- Portobello Mushroom Mini Pizza
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
- Add the mushrooms to a large pot. Add just enough water to the just barely cover the mushrooms, add in ½ cup of white vinegar, turn the heat on high and cover. Be sure you don't add too much water or the mushrooms won't have that vinegary flavor, so only about 1-2 inches depending on the size of your pot.
- Once it comes to a boil, remove the lid and allow the mushrooms to boil for 5 minutes, then drain and add to a large mason jar while they are still hot.
- In a small mixing bowl, add in the remaining ingredients.
- Whisk until combined.
- Pour the mixture over the mushrooms, seal the jar and shake. Once they have cooled to room temperature, store them in the fridge for up to a week. For best results, shake the jar every so often.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.Save 60% OFF EBOOK BUNDLE
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.