Beef Stroganoff given a Keto-style makeover! I turn this old classic into a casserole, with the same great flavor and topped with cheesy mashed cauliflower!
A family favorite with a twist! Ground beef replaces sliced beef in this stroganoff for a quick and easy version that is great for any night of the week.
Rich and creamy "Shepherd's Pie" style stroganoff, with the addition of Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower over the top. This low carb casserole is nice and thick and oh so good!
This Keto ground beef stroganoff is the best of the best in comfort food! And leftovers are even better the next day!
The key to making cauliflower a potato like consistency is to cook it in the microwave and then squeeze out all the extra moisture. Even non-Keto family members will love the flavor it provides this casserole
What's in Keto Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Grass-fed ground beef 85%
- Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
- Onion, thinly sliced
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Beef stock
- Sour cream
- Mascarpone cheese
- White wine
- Grass-fed butter
- Worcestershire sauce
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Beef Stroganoff Casserole
Brown the ground beef in a large pot, then remove and set aside.
Add the butter to the pan and sauté the mushrooms over medium heat, until you have some good color on them.
Remove and sauté the onions for a few minutes. Then add in the garlic for about 20 seconds. Careful not to burn the garlic!
Pour in the white wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits of flavor.
Preheat your oven to 400F.
Add in the remaining ingredients, except for the cheesy mashed cauliflower and stir until well combined.
Stir in the ground beef and sautéed mushrooms and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
Add the cheesy mashed cauliflower over the top in large dollops, and spread using an offset spatula and bake for 10 minutes.
The top of the casserole will be slightly browned when done. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into and serving.
Are There Carbs in Keto Stroganoff?
Traditional stroganoff that uses pasta has way too many carbs to even consider for those on Keto or low carb diets.
With this Keto beef stroganoff casserole, that worry is taken away by replacing the pasta with cheesy cauliflower, which adds so much flavor but removes all but 5 net carbs per serving!
Another key component to the texture and richness of this Keto stroganoff recipe are the baby bella mushrooms. Of course you can use any of your favorite mushrooms in their place.
Are Mushrooms Keto?
Mushroom are excellent for Keto and low carb diets. The amount of carbs depend on the variety of mushroom but for baby bella mushrooms, there's only one net carb per ½ cup serving.
Not only are mushrooms low carb they are loaded with nutrients. They're a great source of antioxidants, vitamin B, potassium and riboflavin. To read all about the health benefits of mushrooms, check out this article.
Tips for Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
- You can make this recipe a day before you need it. Just assemble it and store in the fridge. Baking time will increase due to it being chilled.
- If you don't have Mascarpone, you can use cream cheese. The macros will be different because there are more carbs in cream cheese, so make sure you adjust accordingly.
- If you have leftovers, this casserole will freeze well. Place it in an airtight freezer safe container and store up to a couple of months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight.
- Because mushrooms shrink considerable when cooked, be sure to slice them rather thick, preferable ¼ inch.
- If you'd rather skip the white wine, just substitute with additional broth.
- If you want extra cheesiness, add a little shredded cheddar to the top, right before you remove it from the oven.
- Beef bone broth can be used to substitute the beef both in this recipe.
More Keto Ground Beef Recipes
- Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
- Poblano and Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf
- Instant Pot No-Bean Chili
- Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats
More Keto and Low Carb Casseroles
- Roasted Cauliflower Ham and Cheese Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Alfredo Casserole
Keto Beef Stroganoff Casserole
- 2 pounds 85% ground beef, I use grass-fed
- 1 batch of Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup beef stock
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup white wine, I use Pinot Grigio
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot, then remove and set aside. Add the butter to the pan and sauté the mushrooms over medium heat, until you have some good color on them.
- Remove and sauté the onions for a few minutes. Then add in the garlic for about 20 seconds. Careful not to burn the garlic! Pour in the white wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits of flavor.
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Add in the remaining ingredients, except for the cheesy mashed cauliflower and stir until well combined. Stir in the ground beef and sautéed mushrooms and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.SHARE ON FACEBOOK
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the button above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.