Need a healthy leftover ham recipe that’s quick and easy? This low carb casserole has loads of flavor with roasted cauliflower and a cheesy cream sauce!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
This low carb cauliflower casserole is incredibly easy and great for meal prep, because it freezes beautifully.
The unique combination of Monterey Jack cheese, heavy cream and Mascarpone makes the sauce super creamy and luscious in this Keto ham casserole. It’s sure to please even the pickiest eaters in your family.
Roasting the cauliflower in the oven, before adding it to the casserole, gives it so much more flavor. Adding smoked paprika and garlic powder to the cauliflower before roasting, also kicks up the flavors a notch.
If you’ve made a large sugar free ham for a special occasion or holiday dinner and have lots of leftovers, you’ll love using it in this Keto ham casserole! You’ll also love this tasty Easy Breakfast Casserole that uses leftover ham as well.
What’s in Roasted Cauliflower Ham Casserole?
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Mascarpone Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Chicken Stock
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Olive oil
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Roasted Cauliflower Ham Casserole
Preheat oven to 425F. Cut the cauliflower into small florets and add them to a large mixing bowl, then drizzle olive oil over the top.
Sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika over the top of the cauliflower and mix until it’s well coated.
Spread out the cauliflower on a sheet pan and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower has caramelized.
When the cauliflower is done, remove it from the oven and lower the temperature to 375F.
While the cauliflower is roasting in the oven, melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the onion for a few minutes, or until it’s translucent. Add in the garlic and sauté for another 20 seconds, then add in the chicken stock.
Add in the Mascarpone, heavy cream and half the Monterey Jack cheese, stir until everything is melted. Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
Mix in the cauliflower and ham, then stir until well combined.
Pour into a 9″ x 13″ casserole baking dish that’s been sprayed with nonstick spray, then top with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
Bake for 40 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
Top Tip for Making Keto Ham and Cauliflower Casserole
This casserole is a great way to use your leftover ham from a holiday dinner like Easter or Christmas. But there is no need to wait until you have leftovers to make this rich and cheesy Keto casserole!
You can use any thick cut ham or cut up a few ham steaks. Just make sure to look for ham that has no added sugar.
Since roasted cauliflower is a key ingredient in this low carb casserole, if you’re wanting to make it on a weeknight and need to get dinner on the table in a snap, roast your cauliflower the night before and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble the casserole.
You can even go ahead and dice your ham the night before. All that will be left is making the sauce and baking! How quick and easy is that?
Is Ham Keto Friendly?
ABSOLUTELY! In fact, most all meat is Keto friendly. In its natural state, ham is high in fat with very low to no carbs, making it perfect for Keto and low carb diets. The key to making sure you don’t end up with sneaky carbs, is to avoid the sugary glazed types.
Sometimes they are called maple or brown sugar glazed. These types most often have ingredients that are not recommended for Keto.
What are Ham Nutritional Facts?
Ham, like most all pork, is low carb and is a good source of protein, which has been linked to good muscle health. It is also a very good source of selenium, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin B6, B12, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and choline. For these facts and additional nutritional information about pork, check out this article.
Storing Leftover Keto Ham Casserole
This low carb ham and cauliflower casserole is perfect for meal prep. It freezes and reheats perfectly. These individual Meal Prep Glass Containers are great for storing them in the fridge for a few days or freeze. You can freeze in them and reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
If you don’t have these containers, any freezer safe container will work. Just make sure to follow thawing and reheating recommendations that come with the container.
How Many Carbs in Cauliflower?
Cauliflower is considered a non-starchy vegetable and is very low in carbohydrates, making it an excellent choice of vegetables for Keto or low carb diets. For 1 cup of raw cauliflower, there’re 3 net grams of carbs.
- If you can’t find mascarpone cheese, you can substitute with cream cheese. It will add a little more flavor, since mascarpone is milder than cream cheese and it also has a lot less carbs.
- This Keto casserole uses Monterey Jack cheese, which was shredded in a food processor. It’s almost always best to shred cheese yourself, rather than buy it in the package pre-shredded.
- Pre-shredded cheese often has artificial preservatives and starches to keep the cheese from sticking together. If you’re in a pinch and have to use it, it’s not the end of the world. But when you’re able, try to shred it yourself.
- If you don’t have Monterey Jack cheese, you can use Colby, Mozzarella or Cheddar instead.
- If you’re in a hurry and need a short cut, the produce section, in most stores, has pre-cut cauliflower florets which can be a big time saver.
- Don’t have enough leftover ham? Though the flavors will be different, you can use smoked sausage in it’s place.
More Keto and Low Carb Cauliflower Recipes:
- Roasted Garlic & Rosemary Mashed Cauliflower
- Jalapeño Popper Cauliflower “Mac” and Cheese
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
- Loaded Creamy Cauliflower Casserole
More Keto and Low Carb Casseroles:
- Spinach Artichoke Casserole
- Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- Easy Taco Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Loaded Creamy Cauliflower Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Easy Sausage & Pepper Casserole
- Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
- Chicken Florentine Casserole
Roasted Cauliflower Ham and Cheese Keto Casserole
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into small bites
- 24 ounces cooked ham diced
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Add the cauliflower to a large mixing bowl drizzle olive oil over the top. Sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika over the top of the cauliflower and mix until it’s well coated.
- Spread out the cauliflower on a sheet pan and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower has caramelized. Lower the oven temperature to 375F.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the onion for a few minutes, or until it’s translucent. Add in the garlic and sauté for another 20 seconds, then add in the chicken stock.
- Add in the mascarpone, heavy cream and half the Monterey Jack cheese, stir until everything is melted. Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the cauliflower and ham, then stir until well combined.
- Pour into a 9″ x 13″ casserole baking dish that’s been sprayed with nonstick spray, then top with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.