This quick and easy Keto White Chicken Chili is loaded with the most amazing flavors. It's the ultimate comfort food the whole family will love.
FREE KETO FAT BOMBS EBOOK
If you love white chicken chili but because you follow Keto or a low carb diet you thought you'd have to miss out, this recipe is going to become your new favorite go-to recipe!
It has an amazing creamy texture and robust flavor that will have you forgetting all about those high carb chili recipes.
This chili recipe starts out with shredded chicken. For a short cut, you can use leftover Roasted Chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken.
Veggies are sauteed with warm spices, then a rich and decadent creamy sauce rounds everything off. It is everything white chicken chili should be!
If you are anything like me, it doesn't have to be cold and rainy to enjoy a piping hot bowl of chili. It's a healthy and delicious meal any time of the year.
This Instant Pot No-Bean Chili is another one of our favorites. Both are awesome recipes served at potlucks or game day when you're needing to feed a crowd.
What's in White Chicken Chili
- Shredded chicken
- Chicken stock
- Poblano pepper
- Jalapeño pepper
- Yellow onion
- Green chiles
- Cream cheese
- Baby corn (see notes)
- Pepper jack cheese
- Olive oil
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Dried oregano
- Cayenne pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto White Chicken Chili
Heat a large pot or Dutch oven to medium and add in the butter and olive oil. Add in the onion, poblano, jalapeño peppers and salt, then sauté for a few minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Add in the garlic and sauté for about 10 seconds. Then add in the cumin, cayenne pepper and chili powder, and stir for about a minute, to toast the spices.
Pour in the green chiles, chicken stock, oregano, baby corn, cream cheese and chicken.
Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Then add in the pepper jack cheese, lime and cilantro. Continue cooking for 5 more minutes or until thickened to your liking.
Serve with any of these over the top: shredded cheese, dollop of sour cream, cilantro and/or sliced avocado.
This chili isn't very spicy, so it's family friendly. If you'd like to add more heat, you can use ½-1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or more jalapeño pepper.
Can I Freeze Chicken Chili?
Oh yes you can, and you should because this white chicken chili is awesome for meal prep! Make up a double batch and portion it out into freeze bags or individual airtight containers. On those busy weeknights when you want a home cooked meal but there just isn't enough time, place the frozen container of chili into warm water for a quick thaw. Transfer it to a medium size pot on the stove and heat until warmed through.
It will keep in the freezer for about 3 months so be sure and label the container, so you'll know the date you made it.
Baby corn is prematurely harvested before it's pollinated and doesn't have nearly as many carbs or sugar as adult corn and has a lot more fiber!
Baby corn has only 3 net carbs for the ½ cup used in this entire recipe. You can certainly omit if you'd like.
I used them in this Cheddar Jalapeno Corn Bread recipe, which would be perfect to serve with this chili recipe and it's a great way to use up the rest of the baby corn.
Add-Ins and Variations
- Though not traditionally found in chili, sliced white button or baby bella mushrooms work great with all the other flavors in this recipe. Add them to the Dutch oven as you are sautéing the peppers and onion and cook until they have good color.
- If you can't find pepper jack cheese, you can use Monterey Jack or shredded cheddar instead.
- Mascarpone cheese can be substituted for the cream cheese if you're looking to lower the carbs a little.
- Needing to stretch this chili a little. Serve over a bed of low carb cauliflower rice. Not only does it help add to the recipe, its super healthy.
Is Chili allowed on Keto Diet?
There are all types of chili recipes you can make into a lower carb version by substituting just a few ingredients. For instance, in this white chicken chili, I omitted the white beans and used a slightly thicker sauce. That saves a ton of carbs and makes this an excellent Keto chili recipe.
How Do You Thicken White Chicken Chili?
Beans are used as a thickener in traditional chili recipes but by using cream cheese, you'll get a thicker chili without having to use the beans which saves a lot of carbs!
Can I Make Chicken Chili in a Slow Cooker?
This chili recipe can easily be made in the slow cooker. You'll want to either use a slow cooker that has a sauté feature like this one, or you can sauté the vegetables stove top in the skillet, then add the other ingredients into the slow cooker and cook for about 3 hours on low.
Why is it Called White Chili?
When you think of chili, the first thing you think of is the type of chili with ground beef and red sauce. White chili uses chicken and a creamy sauce that is pale in color, hence the name "White Chili."
Can I Make White Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot
Absolutely! Sautee the peppers and onions using the sauté feature on the Instant Pot, follow the other directions in the recipes. Set the Instant Pot to the pressure setting for 20 minutes. Do a natural release for 15-18 minutes followed by a quick release. That's all there is to it!
More Amazing Keto Chicken Recipes
- Thai Red Curry Coconut Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Chicken with Rosemary Citrus Glaze
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Tuscan Skillet
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Florentine Skillet
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala
- Creamy Chicken Poblano Chicken
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto White Chicken Chili
- 4 cups shredded chicken, 1 pound cooked
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium poblano pepper, diced (⅔ cup)
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded, ribs removed and minced
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles, (in can)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup canned baby corn, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 1 ½ cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice and zest of ½ lime
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven to medium and add in the butter and olive oil. Add in the onion, poblano, jalapeño peppers and salt, then sauté for a few minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for about 10 seconds. Then add in the cumin, cayenne pepper and chili powder, and stir for about a minute, to toast the spices. Pour in the green chilis, chicken stock, oregano, baby corn, cream cheese and chicken.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add in the pepper jack cheese, lime and cilantro. Continue cooking for 5 more minutes or until thickened to your liking.
- Serve with your choice of garnishes: shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro and/or sliced avocado over the top.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve/Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.
NOTE: Recipes using Swerve/Erythritol can be substituted 1:1 with a Monk fruit/Allulose blend.
Absolutely delicious - my husband had 3 servings! Definitely going on my "keeper" list! I've made a dozen recipes from your site and they are all terrific - particularly the casseroles. Thank you for sharing such great recipes!
Keto Cooking Christian
Thank you so much! Your comment just made my day and makes what I do truly worth it. I really love this chili recipe too. It's perfect on these cool winter nights. May God bless you!
Delicious and easy. Thank you.
Especially on New England's freezing cold days.
Keto Cooking Christian
Thanks and you're so welcome! There's nothing like piping hot comfort food to warm you up.
A great take on the traditional chili.
Keto Cooking Christian
Thanks so much!
This is so delicious! I did change one thing only because of what I had on hand. I did not use corn and I added a can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilies. This has so much flavor! Thank you for another amazing recipe!!
Keto Cooking Christian
I am so glad you enjoyed it! I am sure the rotel tomatoes were delish in this recipe.