This is the Best Pizza Sauce recipe you will ever make! Made with a rich and flavorful blend of tomato sauce, fresh garlic and herbs, it's perfect for all your homemade pizza creations.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love this Pizza Sauce Recipe
- 🛒 What’s in Pizza Sauce
- 🔪 How to Make Pizza Sauce
- Can I Make the Pizza Sauce in Advance?
- Can I Freeze Leftover Pizza Sauce?
- How Much Sauce Should I Make for Pizza?
- How Can I Make a Chunkier Sauce?
- Pizza Sauce Recipe Variations and Add-ins
- Is Pizza Sauce and Marinara the Same?
- What is a Healthy Substitute for Pizza Sauce?
- Does Pizza Sauce Have a Lot of Carbs?
- More Keto Sauce Recipes
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Classic tomato based pizza sauce
- Fresh tangy flavor
- Tasty blend of fresh garlic and herbs
- Easy to make in just 5 minutes
- Use on Keto pizza, pizza bowls or pizza casseroles
- Keto friendly and low carb with just 3 net carbs per serving
This homemade Italian pizza sauce recipe is a versatile and flavorful sauce that adds the perfect touch to pizza and pizza-inspired recipes. Made with just a handful of simple ingredients, this sauce is easy to prepare, yet it makes a world of difference in flavor compared to store-bought options.
Because this recipe can easily be tailored to your family's liking, it ensures that any dish you prepare with it will be a guaranteed hit with everyone.
If you love this recipe, you really should also check out this Homemade Marinara. It will take your Italian recipes to a whole new level!
🛒 What’s in Pizza Sauce
- Canned tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Hot water
- Olive oil
- Fresh basil
- Dried oregano
- Ground black pepper
- Optional: powdered sweetener
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Pizza Sauce
Add the olive oil to a small saucepan and heat on low. Add in the garlic and sauté for about 10 seconds. Watch it closely and do not let it brown or it will become bitter.
Turn off the heat and add in the remaining ingredients.
Tip: You can add fresh parsley instead, but the basil will give it much more flavor.
Whisk until well combined.
Tip: The sauce should be on the thick side and not too loose.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool before using on pizza or in a pizza bowl.
Store leftovers in the fridge. This recipe makes 2 cups.
Can I Make the Pizza Sauce in Advance?
Absolutely! Homemade pizza sauce can be prepared in up to a week in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can I Freeze Leftover Pizza Sauce?
You sure can. Allow it to cool and transfer it to a freezer-safe container or Ziplock bag, making sure you remove any excess air. It will stay fresh for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
How Much Sauce Should I Make for Pizza?
The amount of sauce needed depends on the size of the pizza (crustless pizza or pizza bowl). Typically, you’ll want to figure on using about ¼ to ⅓ cup of sauce for a 12-inch pizza and adjust to your preference.
How Can I Make a Chunkier Sauce?
You can customize the texture of your pizza sauce by adding some diced canned tomatoes. To make sure the sauce doesn’t turn out too runny make sure they are drained well.
Pizza Sauce Recipe Variations and Add-ins
- Balsamic vinegar: This is a secret ingredient that is often added to homemade pizza sauce. It only takes a small splash of balsamic vinegar to add a tangy and slightly sweet flavor.
- Red wine: Add an extra depth of flavor to this easy pizza sauce recipe with a small amount of red wine.
- Worcestershire sauce: For a savory, umami twist, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce or liquid aminos will do the trick.
- Smoked paprika: Add a smoky kick with a dash or two of smoked paprika.
- Crushed red pepper flakes: For a touch of heat to this recipe for pizza sauce, sprinkle in some crushed red pepper flakes.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: Mix in a few sun-dried tomatoes to your homemade pizza sauce recipe for a more intense tomato flavor.
- Other seasoning option: Instead of dried oregano, try using a little of this homemade Italian seasoning blend.
Is Pizza Sauce and Marinara the Same?
While both sauces are tomato-based and include some of the same ingredients, there are some differences.
Pizza sauce is usually cooked quickly and has a thicker and smoother consistency compared to marinara sauce.
Most of the time, marinara sauce is simmered for a longer time to develop a richer flavor. It can also be smooth, but often times it can have diced tomatoes that makes it have a chunkier texture.
What is a Healthy Substitute for Pizza Sauce?
The best substitute for pizza sauce is marinara. If you're looking for a healthy low carb recipe, this homemade Keto Marinara is a great choice.
Does Pizza Sauce Have a Lot of Carbs?
Store bought brands often times have added sugar that causes the carbs to add up. This homemade, sugar free version has only 3 net carbs per serving.
More Keto Sauce Recipes
- Bearnaise Sauce
- Easy Alfredo Sauce
- Easy Cheese Sauce for Veggies
- Bang Bang Sauce
- Buffalo Cheese Sauce
- Homemade Pesto
- Buffalo Wing Sauce
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Best Pizza Sauce
- Add the olive oil to a small saucepan and heat on low. Add in the garlic and sauté for about 10 seconds. Watch it closely and do not let it brown or it will become bitter.
- Turn off the heat and add in the remaining ingredients. Whisk until well combined. Remove from the heat and allow to cool before using on pizza or in a pizza bowl.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze in an airtight container.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.