This easy Strawberry Shortcake is loaded with fresh, juicy strawberries and homemade whipped topping that's all nestled between the layers of a fluffy low carb biscuit! Only taking 20 minutes to prepare, they make the perfect last-minute dessert!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love this Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 🛒 What’s in Keto Strawberry Shortcake
- 🔪 How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
- How Long Does Strawberry Shortcake Last?
- Does Strawberry Shortcake Need to be Refrigerated?
- Keto Shortcake Variations and Add-ins
- What Makes a Shortcake Different?
- Are Strawberries Keto Friendly?
- Is Strawberry Shortcake Keto Friendly?
- More Keto Strawberry Desserts
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Light and fluffy low carb biscuits
- Topped with homemade whip cream and fresh juicy strawberries
- Quick and easy Keto dessert made in under 30 minutes
- Family friendly
- Makes a great last minute dessert
Indulging in delicious, classic desserts while staying on track with a low-carb diet can seem impossible. If that sounds familiar, this recipe is about to brighten your day. This low-carb version of strawberry shortcake is bursting with juicy strawberries, a sweet, fluffy whipped cream, and perfect light and fluffy Keto biscuits.
These homemade shortcakes have the most wonderful contrast of flavors and textures that guarantees they’ll be a huge hit on any dessert table. So, whether you're celebrating a special occasion, or just looking for a healthy way to enjoy summertime’s best berry, this dessert will hit the spot.
This recipe makes 12 individual shortcake servings, but if you want to make a larger version, check out my recipe for this full-size Strawberry Shortcake. Or, if you're looking for a quick and easy dessert for one, this Strawberry Shortcake Mug Cake is so delicious.
🛒 What’s in Keto Strawberry Shortcake
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Strawberry Shortcake
Prepare the batter for the Keto Drop Biscuits, adding in the vanilla extract and monk fruit/allulose into the batter.
Bake according to the directions and allow them to cool completely while you prepare the toppings.
Tip: You can always freeze any leftover biscuits to use later. They will thaw out perfectly and retain their same texture.
Add a glass or stainless-steel mixing bowl to the freezer to get ice cold. Wash, dry and slice the strawberries.
Pour the heavy cream into the mixing bowl and beat using a hand mixer until you have soft peaks.
Add in the stevia, then continue mixing to stiff peaks.
Tip: Start with just a few drops of the stevia, then taste the whipped cream for the level of sweetness that you prefer.
Once the biscuits have cooled, slice each one in half.
Add a dollop of the whip cream over the bottom half of the biscuit.
Add some of the sliced strawberries over the whip cream.
Add the top half of the biscuit over the strawberries.
Garnish with additional whipped cream and a strawberry half.
How Long Does Strawberry Shortcake Last?
When strawberry shortcake is freshly assembled with biscuits, strawberries, and whipped cream, it is best enjoyed immediately. The biscuits can start to soften as they absorb moisture from the strawberries and cream.
Another option is to assemble it right before serving but make the different components ahead of time.
- Biscuits: You can prepare the biscuits and store them in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days. Just make sure they are completely cooled before you add them to a container.
- Strawberries: You can store sliced strawberries in the refrigerator in an airtight container or ziptop bag for 1-2 days. Keep in mind that sliced strawberries will soften and start to lose their texture the longer they sit.
- Whipped cream: Freshly whipped cream can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for about a day. Because it only takes a few minutes to whip up, I recommend making it and serving it freshly made.
Does Strawberry Shortcake Need to be Refrigerated?
Yes, because whipped cream will deflate as it sits out. Once you have assembled the shortcakes, you should serve them immediately or place them in the fridge to stay chilled.
Keto Shortcake Variations and Add-ins
- Ladyfingers: If you want to make this shortcake in a trifle dish, you can use these homemade Keto Ladyfingers instead of the biscuits. You can even cut up some of this Keto Pound Cake and use it.
- Chocolate sauce: Chocolate and strawberries? Yes, please! Add a drizzle of this homemade Chocolate Sauce over the shortcakes before adding the whipped cream topping.
- Coconut whipped cream: For a tropical twist, add a drop or two of coconut extract to the homemade whipped cream.
- Almonds: If you want to add a little crunch, you can add some chopped almonds to the biscuit dough. The almond flavor pairs wonderfully with strawberries.
- Citrus twist: Add a touch of fresh lemon zest or orange zest to the biscuit batter, or the whipped topping. As an alternative, you can add a drop or two of orange or lemon extract. It adds the perfect pop of fresh citrus flavor.
- Mixed berry: Mix various berries like blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries along with the strawberries.
- Fresh mint: Garnish the shortcakes with a few fresh mint leaves. As the leaves sit on the whipped topping, it infuses it slightly with minty freshness.
- Cinnamon: Add a small pinch of ground cinnamon to the biscuit dough. You may be surprised how great it goes with fresh strawberries.
What Makes a Shortcake Different?
Shortcake is different from other types of cakes mainly because of the texture. It has a crumble-like texture, just like that of biscuits, where the typical cake texture is soft and spongy.
Are Strawberries Keto Friendly?
Absolutely! Strawberries are packed with beneficial nutrients. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, fiber, manganese, folate potassium as well as being a rich source of antioxidants. Plus, for one half cup serving, there are only 5 net grams of carbs.
Is Strawberry Shortcake Keto Friendly?
Traditional strawberry shortcake is not a great option of Keto or low carb diets because the cake is bake with regular flour and the dessert is full of sugar. With a few Keto-friendly substitutions, you can enjoy this recipe guilt-free because it only has 5 net carb per shortcake.
More Keto Strawberry Desserts
- Strawberry Meringue Cookies
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Strawberry Cupcakes
- Cheesecake with Strawberry Sauce
- Strawberry Coconut Cream Mousse
- Strawberry Cream Tart
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Easy Strawberry Shortcake
- Prepare the batter for the Keto Drop Biscuits, adding in the vanilla extract and monk fruit/allulose into the batter. Bake according to the directions and allow them to cool completely while you prepare the toppings.
- Add a stainless steel or glass mixing bowl to the freezer to get ice and cold. Wash, dry and slice the strawberries.
- Pour the heavy cream into the mixing bowl and beat using a hand mixer until you have soft peaks. Add in the stevia, the continue mixing to stiff peaks.
- Once the biscuits have cooled, slice each one in half. Add a dollop of the whip cream over the bottom half of the biscuit.
- Add some of the sliced strawberries over the whip cream. Add the top half of the biscuit over the strawberries.
- You can then add more whip cream and a strawberries on top to garnish and serve.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.