These light and airy homemade meringue cookies have a burst of strawberry flavor. They're easy to make and are the perfect Keto dessert that you can enjoy guilt-free!
If you've never had meringue cookies before, you're in for such a treat! Meringues are the perfect Keto dessert that are not only low in carbs, but very low in calories.
Flavored meringue cookies are also sometimes known as egg white cookies or meringue kisses, because they are so light and dainty. Regardless of what you call them, you're going to love the texture and crunch of these little low carb cookies.
These tasty little strawberry cookies are made up primarily of an easy meringue recipe and flavored with the perfect hint of strawberry. They're then baked low and very slow, until you have a light and crisp cookie. You can add several different flavors to them, like in these Coconut Meringues or Mocha Meringues.
Strawberry meringue cookies make the perfect Keto snack or sweet treat and they're great for kids too!
One of the best things about these baked meringues is you only need a few things to make them perfect every time.
What's in Keto Strawberry Meringue Cookies
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Keto Strawberry Meringue Cookies
Preheat oven to 250F. In the clean and dry bowl of a stand mixer, add the egg whites and beat until you get soft peaks.
Add in the cream of tartar and mix in the Swerve sweetener slowly, and continue beating until you have stiff peaks.
Add in the vanilla extract and ground freeze dried strawberries, then mix until well combined.
If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can use a large clean and dry mixing bowl and a hand mixer.
I was able to get 36 cookies out of the batch.
Bake the meringues for 40 minutes or until slightly golden. When the time is up, leave them in the oven for 1 hour, with the oven turned off and they will be slightly chewy on the inside. Leave in the oven for 2 hours and they will be crunchy all the way through.
If they're still not crunchy in the center, turn the oven back on to 250F, bake 5 minutes. Then turn the oven off and leave them in the oven for an additional 30-45 minutes.
Homemade Strawberry Meringue Cookies will store at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
Tips for Making Keto Meringue Cookies
- For optimal results, pick a cool dry day to make your meringue cookies.
- Make sure you use fresh cream of tartar. That is key to getting stiff peaks for the cookies.
- When they are ready, you'll want to see a slight glossy color and firm peaks when lifting your beaters.
- Fresh eggs will create the most volume, because they're slightly acidic which helps stabilize the proteins.
- Always use glass, metal, or ceramic bowls when whipping egg whites. Plastic bowls should never be used for making meringue because most often, plastic bowls have a coating that won't allow the whites to rise.
How to Whip Egg Whites
By following just a few simple steps, you'll have perfectly whipped egg whites every single time:
- Start off with room temp eggs. You can separate your whites from your yolks and allow them to sit out on the counter. By separating them, they come to room temp quicker.
- Make sure the beaters with your mixer are very clean and completely dry before you begin.
- Start off beating the egg whites slowly. As they get stiffer, increase the speed a little at a time.
- Wait until the egg whites have started to foam before adding your sweetener. Adding the sweetener a couple of teaspoons at a time will help them to stabilize.
- The longer you whip egg whites, the stiffer they will get. Check your recipe to determine what stiffness you'll need.
How to Use Freeze Dried Strawberries
You can use freeze dried strawberries in almost anything that calls for fresh strawberries. Just rehydrate them by soaking for 5 to 10 minutes in water and drain. You can also grind them up and add them to your egg whites when making meringues or add them to cream cheese if making strawberry frosting.
A huge benefit to using dehydrated strawberries is they are perfect when wanting to make a strawberry recipe when strawberries are not in season.
One ounce of freeze dried strawberries will yield up to 10 ounces of fresh sliced strawberries.
Can You Bake with Freeze Dried Strawberries?
Absolutely! In fact there're several reasons why I chose to use freeze dried strawberries in this recipe.
First, they add a huge punch of strawberry flavor, like in these Strawberry Cupcakes recipe. Second, not only do they add lots of flavor, but it is without all the moisture that comes with fresh or frozen strawberries.
Moisture is something you definitely cannot have a lot of, when making meringues. When you grind the freeze dried strawberries to a fine powder, they don't add any moisture to the egg whites and will not weigh them down.
This will result in perfectly fluffy egg whites that you can bake up into a super low carb dessert.
How Many Carbs in Strawberries?
There are approximately 8 grams of carbs per cup in fresh strawberries and 17 net grams of carbs in dehydrated strawberries. Keep in mind, with dehydrated strawberries, there're a lot more berries per cup and because they have such a intense flavor, you do not have to use many for an entire recipe.
Are Strawberries Keto?
They sure are! Even though berries have natural sugar, when eaten in moderation, they're perfectly fine for Keto and low carb diets because of the amount of fiber they contain. Strawberries are also very nutritious, rich in vitamin C, manganese, potassium, and folate.
More Keto Strawberry Recipes:
- Strawberry Cupcakes
- Strawberry Cream Tart
- Strawberry Coconut Mousse
- Strawberry Sauce
- Strawberry Ice Cream
More Keto and Low Carb Cookie Recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cranberry Walnut Bars
- Coconut Meringue Cookies
- Blueberry Cheesecake Bars
- White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies
- Lemon Bars
- Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Mocha Meringue Cookies
FOLLOW ME FOR KETO RECIPES POSTED DAILY
Keto Strawberry Meringue Cookies
- Preheat oven to 250F. In the clean and dry bowl of a stand mixer, add the egg whites and beat until you get soft peaks. Add in the cream of tartar and mix in the Swerve slowly, and continue beating until you have stiff peaks.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until slightly golden. Leave in the oven for 1 hour, with the oven turned off and they will be slightly chewy on the inside. Leave in the oven for 2 hours and they will be crunchy all the way through.
- If they are still not crunchy in the center, turn the oven back on to 250F, bake 5 minutes. Then turn the oven off and leave in the oven for an additional 30-45 minutes.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the buttons above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.Keto Cooking Christian eBook Collection
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.