Light and buttery low carb and Keto friendly version of shortbread cookies dipped in melted chocolate!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
Shortbread cookies originated in Scotland and were named from the shortening used to make them. Traditional shortbread cookies have a dense biscuit like texture.
But, people from all round the world have adapted their own versions of the shortbread cookie, and now there's a Keto version you can enjoy without all the sugar and carbs!
These Keto cookies are so light and buttery, yet have a flavor very much like traditional shortbread cookies. You'll never be able to tell they are low carb!
Dipping them in melted chocolate just takes them to a whole new level of decadence! These low carb shortbread cookies are not only delicious, they'll look like you made them in a professional bakery.
What's in Keto Shortbread Cookies
- Almond flour
- Grass-fed butter
- Swerve Confectioners
- Vanilla extract
- Lily's dark chocolate
- Coconut oil
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Low Carb Shortbread Cookies Dipped in Chocolate
Preheat oven to 350F.
Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, and mix together until well combined.
Add in the vanilla extract and continue mixing.
Add in the salt and almond flour, mix until combined.
Place the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and add another piece over the top.
Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to your desired thickness, then cut out the cookies using a small biscuit cutter. If you have a favorite cookie cutter, that will work just as well.
Regather the scraps and roll out to cut more cookies, until all the dough is gone.
Set each cut cookie onto a baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper.
Bake the cookies for 10 minutes or until slightly golden.
Allow to cool a bit, before placing on a cooling rack.
Once the cookies have cooled, add the chopped chocolate and coconut oil into a glass bowl and microwave for 20 seconds. Take it our and stir it well. Microwave for another 10 seconds if not melted.
Dip one end of the cookie into the melted chocolate, allowing the excess chocolate to drip off and then place it on a fresh piece of parchment paper to set.
Once set the chocolate has dried complete, they're ready! Just serve and enjoy!
Are Shortbread Cookies Keto?
Traditional cookies of any kind are not acceptable on Keto or low carb diets because sugar and wheat flour are used as ingredients.
But all that worry has been resolved! This gluten free shortbread cookie recipe uses almond flour which is great for Keto cookie recipes
because they are low in carbs, and high in fiber, protein and fat.
Can Freeze Shortbread Cookies?
If you have leftover cookies, which let me go ahead and tell you, that is going to be very unlikely, you can place them in a single layer between layers of parchment paper and store in the freezer for up to a couple of months.
Tips for Making Keto Shortbread
- Even though coconut flour is often used in low carb cookie recipes, for this recipe, almond flour is the best option. It renders a more tender texture that can not be reached using coconut flour.
- If you enjoy lemon flavors, add a little lemon zest to the dough. Likewise, you can add a little orange zest to the dough as well.
- You can also use different extracts to change up the flavors as well.
- Cookies made with almond flour are very delicate when they first come out of the oven, so let them sit on the Silpat until cooled before moving them
- To store these shortbread Keto cookies, place them in an airtight container between layers of parchment paper in order to keep the chocolate from possibly sticking together.
Also be sure to try these Keto Crispy Sugar Cookies!
More Low Carb Cookie Recipes
- Edible Cookie Dough
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookie Dough Fat Bombs
If you'd like to know more about baking on Keto, this article, Keto Baking Made Easy, is loaded with tips and info that you'll find helpful. You might also check out my Keto Sweet Treats eBook that has 50 amazing Keto dessert recipes, all with color pics, macros and more! I'm offering it at 50% off when you subscribe to my free weekly emails here.
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies
- 1 ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup grass-fed butter, room temperature
- ½ cup Swerve Confectioners
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ tsp of Salt
- 3 ounce bar of Lily's dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, and mix together until well combined. Add in the vanilla extract and continue mixing.
- Add in the salt and almond flour, mix until combined.
- Place the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and add another piece over the top. Roll out the dough to your desired thickness, then cut out the cookies using a small biscuit cutter. Set each cut cookie onto a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- Regather the scraps and roll out to cut more cookies, until all the dough is gone.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden. Allow to cool a bit, before placing on a cooling rack.
- Once the cookies have cooled, add the chopped chocolate and coconut oil into a glass bowl and microwave for 20 seconds. Microwave for another 10 seconds if not melted.
- Dip one end of the cookie into the melted chocolate and place on a fresh piece of parchment paper to set. Once set, serve and enjoy!
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.
Really good cookie recipe, but the batter is very delicate and transferring to the pan was difficult. Scooping then shaping might be easier. Also, after cooking and cooling, it didn't resemble shortbread - bendy and chocolate tasted too coconutty until I put them in the fridge. THEN, heaven! It tasted wonderfully crumbly and the chocolate made it even better though I might need to tweak the chocolate recipe bc the it wouldn't set until I put it in the refrigerator. But overall, I'd say one of the best keto cookie recipes I've tried.
So would 4 cookies be 1 serving?
Mine were sticking too much to make a cookie cutter - I had to use a cookie scoop and make them round