Juicy chicken with tender chunks of peppers and onions simmered in a creamy broth, makes this warm and cozy Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup the ultimate comfort food.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love this Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
- 🛒 Ingredients for Chicken Fajita Soup
- 🔪 How to Make Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup
- ☑️ Storage Instructions
- 🍴 What to Serve with Fajita Soup
- 🔄 Substitutions and Additions
- Can I Use Chicken Breast Instead?
- Why Does My Broth Have Clumps?
- Can I Use Store-Bought Fajita Seasoning?
- Can I Make this Recipe Stove Top?
- What Slow Cooker is Best to Use?
- 🍽️ More Keto Slow Cooker Recipes
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
- Classic chicken fajita flavors
- Chunks of tender peppers and onions
- Fire-roasted tomatoes add great flavor
- Fresh lime and cilantro brightens up the soup
- Creamy texture
If you crave a comforting, hearty meal without spending hours in the kitchen, then slow cooker chicken fajita soup is for you. It's packed with tender chicken, vibrant bell peppers, onions, and flavorful spices, just like the delicious flavors of classic fajitas.
With minimal prep time, this recipe allows your slow cooker to do most of the work for you. You'll come home to a healthy and wholesome meal that the whole family will love! It's perfect for freezing, making it an awesome meal prep option.
A hearty bowl of soup is the perfect meal on a chilly winter day, but let's face it, soup is awesome any time of the year. If you're looking for other delicious, family-friendly soup recipes, you'll want to check out this, Taco Soup and this Chicken Pot Pie Soup.
🛒 Ingredients for Chicken Fajita Soup
- Chicken thighs
- Chicken broth
- Fire roasted tomatoes
- Red bell pepper
- Yellow bell pepper
- Orange bell pepper
- Red onion
- Jalapeño pepper
- Cream cheese
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- Fresh cilantro
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup
Add the chicken thighs to the bottom of your slow cooker insert. Sprinkle half the fajita seasoning over the chicken.
Pour the fire roasted tomatoes over the chicken.
Tip: If you can't find fire roasted, plain diced tomatoes will work well too.
Add in the chopped peppers, onions, minced garlic and jalapeño pepper.
Tip: I really love the variety of the 3 different bell pepper colors. But if you prefer one over another, any combination will work fine.
Pour the remaining fajita seasoning and chicken broth over the top.
Cook on high for 3 hours (or low for 6 hours), then remove and shred the chicken.
Add it back into the soup.
To prevent the cream cheese from clumping up, remove some the broth and add it to a food processor, along with the cream cheese and mix until combined.
Then pour the mixture back in to the slow cooker and cook for another ½ hour (or 1 hour if cooking on low).
Turn the slow cooker off and add in the chopped fresh cilantro and lime juice right before serving.
☑️ Storage Instructions
Fridge: Allow the soup to cool to room temperature then transfer it to an airtight container. Place the container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Freezer: Pour the soup into a freezer-safe container, leaving some space at the top in case it expands. Label the container with the date you made it and the type of soup. You can freeze it for up to about 4 months.
🍴 What to Serve with Fajita Soup
This soup is delicious just as it is, but feel free to add some tasty toppings or serve it over a serving of cauliflower rice.
For toppings, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado slices, sliced jalapeños, or tortilla strips made from these homemade keto Tortillas are all great options.
🔄 Substitutions and Additions
- Black beans and corn: Depending on your carb allowance, you can add a can of rinsed black beans and/or canned corn kernels.
- Other veggies: Feel free to add other veggies such as sauteed mushrooms, baby spinach, kale cabbage, or artichoke hearts.
- Spices: If you like soup with a kick of heat, you can add red pepper flakes, hot sauce, or a pinch of cayenne pepper. You can give the soup extra lime flavor with a sprinkle of Tajin seasoning.
- Tomatoes: This recipe calls for fire-roasted tomatoes, but you can use regular canned tomatoes or Rotel tomatoes.
- Cheese: Give the soup some cheese goodness by mixing in your favorite melty cheese right before serving. Pepper jack, cheddar, or a 3-cheese Mexican blend are perfect options.
Can I Use Chicken Breast Instead?
Absolutey! Keep in mind that chicken breasts may cook faster than chicken thighs in the slow cooker, so you'll want to reduce the cooking time. Cook the soup on low for about 4-5 hours or until the chicken breasts reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
Why Does My Broth Have Clumps?
Blending the cream cheese with broth helps prevent clumping and ensures a smoother and creamier texture in the soup. Though it is an extra step, it gives your broth the perfect texture.
Can I Use Store-Bought Fajita Seasoning?
While you can use store-bought fajita seasoning, you'll want to check the label for added sugar or unwanted ingredients such as maltodextrin.
Can I Make this Recipe Stove Top?
Sure. You'll want to cook and shred the chicken thighs first. Then follow the other instructions an allow it to simmer for about 30-45 minutes until the veggies are tender.
What Slow Cooker is Best to Use?
I used the Hamilton Beach 6 Quart Slow Cooker and absolutely love it. It's very lightweight and is programmable. But here's my favorite part... you can use the insert on your stovetop to sear before slow cooking.
So if you have a roast that you want to sear to give it more flavor, you don't have to use another pan! You can also deglaze the pan with your liquids and really make the most of all that flavor. Hands down, my favorite slow cooker ever!
🍽️ More Keto Slow Cooker Recipes
- Cabbage Roll Soup
- Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Soup
- Beef Barbacoa
- Southern Green Beans
- Mississippi Pot Roast
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Soup
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Add the chicken thighs to the bottom of your slow cooker insert. Sprinkle half the fajita seasoning over the chicken.
- Pour the fire roasted tomatoes over the chicken. Add in the chopped peppers and onions. Next, add in the minced garlic and jalapeño pepper. Pour the remaining fajita seasoning and chicken broth over the top.
- Cook on high for 3 hours (or low for 6 hours), then remove and shred the chicken. Add it back in along with the cream cheese.
- To prevent the cream cheese from clumping up, remove some the broth and add it to a food processor, along with the cream cheese and mix until combined. Then pour the mixture backing the slow cooker and cook for another ½ hour (or 1 hour if cooking on low).
- Turn the slow cooker off and add in the chopped fresh cilantro and lime juice right before serving.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.