Enjoy this old Southern favorite Keto style. These fried green tomatoes are absolutely delicious, served with a Low Carb zesty dipping sauce that really brings them to life!
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
If you’ve never had fried green tomatoes before, you’re in for such a treat!! They have a slight sweetness to them, but nothing like regular ripe red tomatoes. The zesty dipping sauce really brings out the flavor in the tomatoes and adds a little kick!
They’re coated and fried with a super tasty Keto friendly breading that is also gluten-free. The breading gives wonderful texture to the tomatoes, with the perfect amount of crunch and flavor.
The great thing about this breading mixture, is that you can use it to fry almost anything from zucchini, eggplant, chicken tenders, chicken parmesan, you name it! It has such great flavor and closely mimics traditional seasoned bread crumbs.
Ingredients for Keto Fried Green Tomatoes
- Green tomatoes
- Almond Flour
- Parmesan cheese
- Plain pork rinds
- Garlic powder
- Dried parsley
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Mild flavored oil
- Prepared horseradish
- Lemon juice
- Sugar-Free Ketchup
- Garlic Salt
- Smoked Paprika
How to Make Low Carb Fried Green Tomatoes
Start by cutting your tomatoes into 1/4-1/2 inch slices and press between paper towels to dry them.
How Many Carbs are in Tomatoes?
People often ask if tomatoes on Keto are okay. The simple answer is yes, if eaten in moderation. There are approximately 4 net carbs in a medium green tomato, making them a very reasonable choice as a Keto side dish.
Tips for Making Perfect Fried Green Tomatoes
- When selecting your tomatoes for this green tomato recipe, you will want ones that are firmer to the touch. This ensures they hold while dredging and frying.
- While prepping, you do not want slices thinner than 1/4 thick. Thinner slicers tend to become soggy.
- Be sure to always place your fried tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels to drain off the excess grease. This step helps to keep them crispy longer.
- Try to keep from flipping the tomatoes more than once while frying. You want to keep all that delicious bread on the tomatoes and not in the bottom of the skillet.
More Keto and Low Carb Fried Recipes…
More Keto and Low Carb Appetizers…
- Antipasti Skewers
- Buffalo Deviled Eggs
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
- Bang Bang Salmon Cakes
- Bacon Cheeseburger Bites
Keto Fried Green Tomatoes – Low Carb/Gluten-Free
For the Tomatoes
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/4-1/2 inch slices and press between paper towels to dry them. I was able to get 15 slices out of mine.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together and allow to sit while you fry the tomatoes.
- Mix the almond flour, parmesan cheese, pork rinds, oregano, parsley, garlic salt and basil together in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs together in a separate bowl.
- Dip the tomatoes into the egg and then into the breading mixture (lightly, do not press into the mixture). Shake off any excess breading and place on a plate.
- Once they are all breaded, heat a skillet to medium high heat and add the oil. Shallow fry the tomatoes in batches for a few minutes on each side or until golden. Place on another plate lined with paper towels, as you remove them from the pan.
- Serve with the dipping sauce and enjoy!