These Roasted Cauliflower Steaks are seasoned and roasted to absolute perfection. Easy, yet elegant, this cauliflower recipe is bursting with flavor and makes a creative centerpiece for any meal.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You'll Love this Roasted Cauliflower Steaks Recipe
- 🛒 What You’ll Need for Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- 🔪 How to Make these Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- Is Cauliflower Good for Keto?
- Sauces and Toppings for this Cauliflower Steak Recipe
- How Do You Cut Cauliflower Steaks So They Don't Fall Apart?
- Why is My Roasted Cauliflower Mushy?
- What Does Cauliflower Steak Taste Like?
- Why is it Called Cauliflower Steak?
- More Keto Cauliflower Recipes
❤️ Why You'll Love this Roasted Cauliflower Steaks Recipe
- Hearty and very filling steak-like slices of Cauliflower
- Perfectly seasoned and roasted giving them great flavor
- Makes a beautiful presentation
- Perfect for special occasions
Cauliflower is a staple in most any low carb diet, so chances are you have tried it in everything from soups to casseroles. But, if you're looking for a new and delicious way to prepare it, you're going to fall in love with this easy recipe.
While the thick slices of cauliflower roasts, natural sweetness begins to form and blends perfectly with the seasonings, resulting in the most wonderful earthy, smoky, and subtly sweet flavors.
These cauliflower steaks are not only truly delicious, but their golden colors creates an impressive presentation, making them perfect for special occasions.
If you love the unique way this cauliflower recipe is prepared, you should also check out this amazing Roasted Cabbage Steaks recipe!
🛒 What You’ll Need for Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make these Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Wash and dry your cauliflower, then remove the leaves and trim the stem. With the stem side up, slice the cauliflower into thick slices, making sure the stem is holding the florets together.
There will be a number of florets that are not attached, and you can save those to use in another recipe (see a list of ideas below). Using 2 large cauliflower heads should give you 6 thick slices.
Tip: Keep in mind you will have a fair amount of cauliflower leftover from the edges. You can use them in a number of recipes, see list below.
Brush the olive oil on both sides of each cauliflower steak. Season both sides with the salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast cauliflower steaks for 20 minutes.
In a microwave safe bowl, add in the butter and melt it. To the same bowl, add in the minced garlic and remaining ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika.
Remove the cauliflower steaks from the oven and increase the temperature to 425°F. Flip the cauliflower and brush the garlic butter mixture over the tops, then bake 10 more minutes or until tender.
Is Cauliflower Good for Keto?
This vegetable has to be the biggest MVP of all Keto veggies! Not only are there countless ways to prepare it, but it's also very nutritious. In fact, it has just about every vitamin and mineral that you need, especially vitamin C, vitamin K and B6.
It's also very low carb. In a one-cup serving of raw cauliflower, there are 5.3 total carbs with 2.5 grams of fiber leaving the net carbs around 3 grams!
Be sure to also try this Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower! It's roasted in the oven with a gooey melted pepper jack cheese that gives it great flavor!
Sauces and Toppings for this Cauliflower Steak Recipe
- Chimichurri sauce: Tangy and full of flavor, this Homemade Chimichurri Sauce makes a wonderful cauliflower steak topping.
- Avocado cilantro lime: Add a pop of cool and refreshing flavors by topping the steaks with a drizzle of this easy Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing. It also adds healthy fats!
- Creamy dill sauce: This Creamy Dill Sauce is amazing on Salmon but you can use it over just about any type of veggie you can think of. Give it a try with cauliflower!
- Buffalo sauce: a tangy and spicy sauce made with hot sauce, butter and vinegar.
- Pesto: Cauliflower and this fresh, Homemade Pesto Sauce goes hand in hand.
- Pico de Gallo: The combination of fresh tomatoes, onions and limes in this Pico de Gallo makes a wonderful and super easy topping.
- Caramelized onions: Sweet and savory caramelized onions pair well with the rich and nutty flavor of roasted cauliflower. Or for a bit a zesty flavor, try some of these Pickled Red Onions.
- Balsamic glaze: This Balsamic Glaze adds a classic sweet and tangy flavor that's always a great addition.
How Do You Cut Cauliflower Steaks So They Don't Fall Apart?
The first step is to choose a large head of cauliflower. Larger heads will have thicker stems, which allows you to leave part of it on each slice.
Because the stem plays a big role in keeping the steaks together, you'll always slice the cauliflower vertically, in thick slices.
Another great tip is to always use a sharp chef's knife. It makes it so much easier to cut through the cauliflower without crushing it.
Why is My Roasted Cauliflower Mushy?
There is fine line between tender and mushy and here are some ways to make sure you have the best roasted cauliflower steaks every time:
- Don't overcrowd the sheet pan: When cauliflower slices are packed too closely together, they will release moisture as they cook and become soft and soggy. To avoid this, make sure to leave enough space between the slices on the baking tray.
- Go easy on the oil: Though butter and oil give the cauliflower great color and flavor, too much can make it greasy and lose its texture. To avoid this, use just enough oil to lightly coat the cauliflower slices.
- Don't overcook it: Keep an eye on the cauliflower as it roasts and remove it from the oven as soon as it is tender but still retains some firmness.
- Roast on high heat: Roasting it on at least 400°F is best. For this recipe, the steaks are finished off on 425°F to help give them extra color.
What Does Cauliflower Steak Taste Like?
The taste of cauliflower steak is often described as very mild and nutty, with a slightly sweet flavor. When roasted or grilled, the outer layer of the cauliflower develops a delicious crispy texture and absorbs the flavors of the seasonings you use.
Why is it Called Cauliflower Steak?
This is just a simple term that refers to the way it is cut into thick steak-like slices.
More Keto Cauliflower Recipes
- Jalapeño Popper Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Cauliflower
- Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
- Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and dry your cauliflower, then remove the leaves and trim the stem. With the stem side up, slice the cauliflower into thick slices, making sure the stem is holding the florets together. There will be a number of florets that are not attached, and you can save those to use in another recipe (see a list of ideas in the recipe notes). Using 2 large cauliflower heads should give you 6 thick slices.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add in the butter and melt it. To the same bowl, add in the minced garlic and remaining ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Remove the cauliflower steaks from the oven and increase the temperature to 425°F. Flip the cauliflower and brush the garlic butter mixture over the tops, then bake 10 more minutes or until tender.
- Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto
- Coconut Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Jalapeño Popper Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.