This fork-tender, slow cooker Mississippi roast only takes a few simple ingredients but will be the best roast you've ever tasted, hands down!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
What exactly is a "Mississippi" pot roast? Well, that is pretty easy to answer. The southern lady that created the original recipe is from Mississippi. She came up with using ranch seasoning and briny peppers as flavor and the result was the most amazing pot roast you could ever imagine!
The original Mississippi Crock Pot Roast calls for pre-packaged seasonings, so I knew with a few adjustments, I could take those flavors to a whole new level with homemade seasoning.
Well, let me tell ya, it worked! This southern classic Mississippi roast recipe is the epitome of comfort food. And because it cooks in the slow cooker, it couldn't be any easier to make.
Serve this crock pot roast with any low carb side dish and you have one hearty and very satisfying meal! Add a few extra peppers if you prefer a little added kick of flavor, they are SO good.
What's in Keto Mississippi Pot Roast
- Chuck roast
- Ranch Seasoning
- Beef broth concentrate or bouillon
- Pepperoncini peppers
- Pepperoncini juice
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Mississippi Pot Roast
Add the roast to your slow cooker insert.
Dissolve the beef concentrate or bouillon in the hot water, then pour over the pot roast.
Add in the rest of the ingredients. Do not add more liquid to the insert, trust me you will not need it.
Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours, until the meat is tender and easy to pull apart with 2 forks.
Shred the meat and serve with the juices over the top.
What Makes this a Keto Pot Roast?
Chuck roast, in general, is perfect for Keto because it's an excellent source of protein, plus it has a lot of yummy fat marbled throughout.
Another tip I use to cut down on carbs is using Homemade Ranch Seasoning. I always make extra to use in several other low carb recipes like, Ranch Roasted Cauliflower, Ranch Roasted Cauliflower Casserole and these Cheddar Ranch Biscuits. You can even make a delicious savory compound butter with it. It's just a great all-around seasoning to keep on hand.
Tips for Making the Best Crock Pot Roast
- Choosing the right cut of beef: When selecting a roast, there are several cuts to decide upon. I recommend a chuck roast because as it slowly cooks, the fat that is marbled throughout the roast is released and creates a mouth-watering juice that flavors the meat.
- Don't be afraid of seasonings: Roasts are large and dense cuts of beef so you'll want to be generous with the seasonings. Once it has cooked, and you shred the beef, all the seasonings will be distributed through the meat.
- Like extra kick? Once the roast is done and served up, if you like a little extra kick of flavor, drizzle a little more juice from the jar of pepperoncini peppers right over the top.
- Use leftovers to make new recipes: You can make a delicious sandwich using leftover over roast beef and Parmesan Chaffles. You can make a yummy lettuce wrap also with adding tomatoes and some sautéed onions with a little mayonnaise and mustard. They make the perfect quick and easy lunch. You can also serve leftovers with homemade Creamy Horseradish Sauce for an entirely different twist.
- Substitutions to consider: Depending on how strict Keto you are, you can change up the type of beef flavoring you use. You can use the concentrate or bouillon or you can even use beef bone broth.
What Can I Serve with Mississippi Crock Pot Roast?
There are SO many delicious low carb side dishes that will go with this crock pot roast recipe. Here are just a few of my favorites that may give you some ideas:
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Creamed Spinach
- Grilled Broccolini
- Green Beans Almondine
- Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
Can I Freeze Slow Cooker Roast?
Oh yes you can! And you SHOULD! The flavors in this Mississippi Roast recipe just get even better once it is frozen. Take left over and divide them into portion sizes you'll need and place in a zip lock bag or air tight container and place in the freezer for up to a couple of months.
To thaw, just stick it in the fridge over night, or for a quick thaw, place the container in a warm water bath. Then just reheat in the microwave or stove top.
What Slow Cooker is Best to Use?
I used the Hamilton Beach 6 Quart Slow Cooker and absolutely love it. It's very lightweight and is programmable. But here's my favorite part... you can use the insert on your stovetop to sear before slow cooking.
So if you have a roast that you want to sear to give it more flavor, you don't have to use another pan! You can also deglaze the pan with your liquids and really make the most of all that flavor. Hands down, my favorite slow cooker ever!
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Slow Cooker Keto Mississippi Pot Roast
- Add the roast to your slow cooker insert.
- Dissolve the beef concentrate or bouillon in the hot water, then pour over the pot roast.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Do not add more liquid to the insert, trust me you will not need it.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours, until the meat is tender and easy to pull apart with 2 forks.
- Shred the meat and serve with the juices over the top.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.