Learn how to make the crispiest and tastiest Air Fryer Cod in under 25 minutes, from prep to plate. Tender and delicate cod filets are a quick and easy fish dinner that will even have kids begging for seconds!
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Cod
- Crispy coating on the outside, tender and juicy inside
- Quick and easy to prepare
- Flavorful breading with perfect crunchy texture
- Gluten-free and kid friendly
Take frying fish to a whole new healthy level with this amazing air fryer cod! This recipe delivers delicious air fried filets with a crispy, golden crust and a tender and flakey inside.
The gluten free breading is seasoned perfectly giving every single bite the most wonderful flavor you'd expect from deep frying, but with a fraction of the carbs!
Another bonus about this recipe is, because cod has such a mild flavor, it's an ideal recipe to introduce kids to eating fish. The crunchy crust will have them hooked the first time they try it!
Plus, cod is one of the more inexpensive types of fish, so it works great on most any budget.
If you're new to air frying, this cod recipe will soon make you a huge fan. If you love the convenience of air frying, you should also check out these Air Fryer Chicken Legs, Air Fryer Salmon and this Air Fryer Broccoli.
What’s in Keto Air Fryer Cod
- Fresh cod
- Super fine almond flour
- Parmesan cheese
- Ground pork rinds
- Oat fiber
- Whole eggs
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic salt
- Ground black pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Cod in an Air Fryer
Preheat air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes, while you prepare the breading.
In a third bowl, add in the almond flour, parmesan cheese, pork rinds, smoked paprika, garlic salt and pepper.
Take each piece of the cod, dredge it in the oat fiber, shaking off any excess.
Then dip the cod into the eggs, allowing excess eggs to drip off.
Dip the cod into the breading mixture for a light coating.
Then place the breaded cod on the rack of your air fryer, that’s been sprayed with nonstick olive oil spray.
Spray the tops of each piece with the olive oil spray and cook for 12-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish.
Flip and spray more olive oil over the tops half way through. Continue cooking until the internal temperature of the cod is at least 145°F when checked with a thermometer.
Is Cod Keto?
It absolutely is! In fact, there are zero net carbs in cod, making it the perfect fish for Keto or other low carb diets.
Cod is also a great source of lean protein, several necessary B vitamins and minerals that are linked to numerous health benefits. To read more about those health benefits, check out this article on healthline.com.
What Keto Side Dishes Go with Cod?
Air fryer cod is great with just about any of your favorite sides. Here are some all-time favorites that are always a huge hit:
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Air Fryer Roasted Green Beans
- Creamed Spinach
- Lime Cilantro Cauliflower Rice
- Green Beans Almondine
- Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
Is Cod Good in the Air Fryer? Are Air Fryers Good for Fish?
Cod cooks quickly in the air fryer and because it has such a mild flavor, you can season it with any of your favorite seasonings. Plus, air frying cod cooks the filets evenly all over by circulating air, instead of messy deep frying oil like traditionally fried fish.
If you prefer no breading on your cod, try this air fryer cod that is made without any breading.
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Cod
- Fresh, wild caught cod is best if you can find it. If you’re using frozen, make sure that you completely thaw the filets all the way through before cooking them.
- Pat the cod dry with paper towels before seasoning. Because cod is a mild tasting white fish, it easily takes on whatever seasoning you use so make sure you’re using a good quality seasoning.
- Always preheat the air fryer before adding the fish. This ensures even and consistent cooking.
- Don’t double stack or overlap the fish. Placing the fish in a single layer allows the air to circulate around the filets and helps cook them evenly with a crispy exterior.
- Be sure and check the fish after 10-12 minutes and then flip it, if you’re air fryer requires it. Some air fryers, with racks, allows you to cook it all the way without flipping, but most basket styles will require you to flip the fish at the halfway point.
- The cod is ready when it easily flakes with a fork or when the internal temperature reaches 145°F when checked with a thermometer.
FAQs about Air Fryer Cod
Can You Cook Fish in an Air Fryer?
You sure can! Just like this recipe, cooking fish in the air fryer is an awesome and healthy alternative to deep frying it.
How Long Does it Take to Cook a Piece of Cod in an Air Fryer?
The actual time varies on the size of the pieces of fish and the way individual air fryers cook. For best results you should determine its doneness by using a meat thermometer, checking for an internal temperature of 145°F.
If you don't have a thermometer, you can usually tell by taking a fork and flaking the center of the filet. Fully cooked fish will be flakey and look white opaque in color.
What is the Best Fish for the Air Fryer?
While most fish can be cooked in the air fryer, some types are the best option. If you’re wanting to experiment with other types of air fryer fish recipes, catfish, haddock, bass, halibut, salmon, sardines, herring and mackerel are all excellent choices.
Can You Cook Battered Fish in Air Fryer?
You can cook breaded fish in the air fryer, but wet battered fish does not always work well in the air fryer. Food that has a wet batter on the bottom of the pan will not cook evenly and will end up soggy. If coating cod to air fry, make sure you use some sort of breading, like this recipe, after dipping it in the wet batter.
More Keto Seafood Recipes
- Baked Salmon with Creamy Dill Sauce
- Keto Crab Cakes with Remoulade Sauce
- Salmon Piccata
- Broiled Lobster Tails with Compound Butter
- Keto Coconut Shrimp
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Air Fryer Cod
- Preheat air fryer at 400°F for 5 minutes, while you prepare the breading.
- Add the eggs in one bowl and whisk. In another bowl, add in the oat fiber.
- In a third bowl, add in the almond flour, parmesan cheese, pork rinds, smoked paprika, garlic salt and pepper.
- Take each piece of the cod, dredge it in the oat fiber, shaking off any excess.
- Then dip the cod into the eggs, allowing excess eggs to drip off. Dip the cod into the breading mixture for a light coating.
- Then place the breaded cod on the rack of your air fryer, that’s been sprayed with nonstick olive oil spray.
- Spray the tops of each piece with the olive oil spray and cook for 12-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish.
- Flip and spray more olive oil over the tops half way through. Continue cooking until the internal temperature of the cod is at least 145°F when checked with a thermometer.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.