These incredible Keto Smash Burgers feature thinly smashed, juicy beef patties that are seared to perfection with gooey melted cheese. They're the ultimate low carb-twist on an American diner classic.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love this Smash Burger Recipe
- 🛒 What’s in Smash Burgers
- 🔪 How to Make Smash Burgers
- Alternative Ways to Serve a Smash Burger Keto Style
- Other Delicious Smash Burger Toppings
- What is the Difference Between a Smashburger and a Smashed Burger?
- How Do You Make a Good Crust on a Smash Burger?
- What is a Smash Burger vs a Hamburger?
- More Keto Ground Beef Recipes
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Smash Burger Recipe
- Grass fed beef patties smashed super thin and seared to perfection
- Melted cheddar cheese and your favorite burger toppings
- Quick and easy to make
- Family and kid friendly
If you're a burger fan who's been looking for a low-carb alternative to fast food, then say hello to these homemade Keto smash burgers. Two flavor-packed all-beef patties are cooked on a grill pan until they are tender and juicy on the inside with the perfect sear on the outside.
They're finished by adding a gooey slice of melty cheese between the patties, then topped with fresh tomatoes, zesty pickles, and all your favorite fixings. And the best part? They're served on a homemade Keto bun that makes these burgers a complete guilt-free indulgence.
🛒 What’s in Smash Burgers
- 85% grass-fed ground beef
- Cheddar cheese
- Dill pickles
- Keto Buns (or store bought)
- Garlic salt
- Ground black pepper
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Smash Burgers
Add the ground beef to a mixing bowl, then sprinkle in the garlic salt and pepper.
Mix just until combined, do not over mix or the meat can become tough.
Divide the meat into 8 equal size pieces and roll into balls.
Tip: Getting a good sear gives the meat more flavor, helps lock in the juices and gives it that classic smash burger flavor.
Tip: Press the smash burgers thin as thin as you can get them. This is what makes them so juicy and delicious, verses a traditional burger.
Remove the parchment and cook for 1-2 minutes or until there is still some pink left, then flip each one over to cook for another minute or so.
Tip: You might be tempted to cook them longer, but if you have smashed them down super thin, it only takes a couple of minutes for them to cook through. You don't want to overcook them and risk them being tough and dry.
Add a slice of cheese on top of one, and place the second patty on top and remove from the heat and cover. Covering helps the cheese melt and keeps them warm while you cook the remaining burgers.
Take your Keto bun and add the lettuce on the bottom, followed by the sliced tomato, add the burgers with cheese, and top with sliced pickles and either ketchup, mustard and/or mayonnaise and serve.
Tip: You can also wrap your Keto Smashburger in some parchment paper, which helps it stay together while you eat it.
Alternative Ways to Serve a Smash Burger Keto Style
- Smash burger lettuce wrap: Swap the Keto bun for large lettuce leaves. Iceberg and romaine tend to work best. Just wrap the juicy Keto Smash Burger patties up along with your favorite toppings.
- Portobello mushroom bun: Grill or pan sear portobello mushroom caps until tender, then use them as a flavorful replacement for the bun. They have a hearty and earthy flavor that not only complements the savory flavors in the burgers, but also provides even more protein.
- Tortilla smash burger: If you're looking for a more portable option, wrap burger patties between these Low-Carb Tortillas.
- No bun: Skip the bun altogether and just serve them topped with avocado, sliced tomatoes, onions and pickles for extra flavor.
- Keto burger bowl: Place a bed of lettuce or mixed greens in a bowl or plate. Top the greens with the smash burger patties, followed by the sliced tomatoes, red onions, pickles, and avocado. Top with bacon, sautéed mushrooms, or fried eggs.
Other Delicious Smash Burger Toppings
Simple Keto burger condiments can add a burst of flavor, texture, and variety to your Keto Smash Burgers. Here are some great choices:
- Avocado slices or Guacamole
- Crispy fried bacon slices
- Caramelized onions or Pickled Onions
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Fried egg
- Freshly sliced or Pickled Jalapeños
- Cheeses-any of your favorites. Pepper jack cheese, Swiss, Colby even blue cheese are great options.
- Sauces- BBQ sauce, Bang Bang Sauce, Creamy Horseradish or this Zesty Dipping Sauce. You can even make your own smash burger sauce with some homemade Mayo mixed with little sriracha or chipotle peppers.
What is the Difference Between a Smashburger and a Smashed Burger?
"Smashburger" is the name of an actual restaurant chain, while "smashed burger" is a term describing a cooking method where burger patties are smashed thin and cooked with crispy exterior.
How Do You Make a Good Crust on a Smash Burger?
To get that incredible charred crust, make sure you start cooking the patties in a preheated skillet or grill pan. Make sure you press it down, so that as much of the meat is in contact with the pan.
What is a Smash Burger vs a Hamburger?
The main difference in a smash burger and a regular hamburger is that with smash burgers, the patties are flattened out thinner than regular burgers. Smash burgers are quickly seared on both sides, until they have a slightly charred crust.
More Keto Ground Beef Recipes
- Italian Meatballs
- Instant Pot Chili
- Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
- Beef Stroganoff Casserole
- Swedish Meatballs
- Cheeseburger Salad
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
Keto Smash Burgers
- Add the ground beef to a mixing bowl, then sprinkle in the garlic salt and pepper.
- Mix just until combined, do not over mix or the meat can become tough.
- Divide the meat into 8 equal size pieces and roll into balls.
- Remove the parchment and cook for 1-2 minutes or until there is still some pink left, then flip each one over to cook for another minute or so. Add a slice of cheese on top of one, and place the second patty on top and remove from the heat and cover. Covering helps the cheese melt and keeps them warm while you cook the remaining burgers.
- Take your Keto bun and add the lettuce on the bottom, followed by the sliced tomato, add the burgers with cheese, and top with sliced pickles and either ketchup, mustard and/or mayonnaise and serve.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.