This Mexican Coleslaw recipe brings a fiesta of flavors to your table with cool, crisp veggies tossed in a vibrant homemade dressing. It's the perfect side dish for any Mexican-inspired meal or summer barbecue.
FREE EASY KETO DINNERS EBOOK
❤️ Why You’ll Love this Mexican Coleslaw Recipe
- Traditional coleslaw with a Mexican flair
- Cool, crisp and colorful mix of fresh veggies
- Tossed in a flavorful homemade dressing
- Serve on the side of any protein or in fish tacos
- Quick and easy to make in under 15 minutes
This easy to make coleslaw is packed with a colorful assortment of crispy, crunchy veggies and tossed in super flavorful, tangy lime dressing. You can serve it as a delicious topping for your favorite Keto Tacos or as a low carb side dish. You can even add a simple protein and serve it as a quick and easy main course salad.
This Mexican coleslaw brings a burst of freshness and authentic Mexican flair to any meal. And one of the things you'll love the most is that this coleslaw made without mayonnaise or sour cream, is instead made with olive oil. This makes it an ideal dish for you to take to outdoor summer gatherings, picnics, and potlucks where it could be sitting out for a while.
While this recipe gives you a tasty twist on traditional recipes, this classic Keto Coleslaw is truly an awesome recipe that always gets rave reviews. Or for slaw with a bit of kick, try this Buffalo Coleslaw or this Bang Bang Coleslaw recipe.
🛒 What’s in Easy Mexican Coleslaw
- Shredded coleslaw mix
- Red cabbage
- Red bell peppers
- Jalapeño pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sugar-free Keto honey
- Smoked paprika
- Ground cumin
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
🥣 Recommended Tools
🔪 How to Make Mexican Cabbage Slaw
Add the shredded coleslaw mix, red cabbage, jalapeño pepper, red pepper, chopped cilantro and sliced red onion to a large bowl. Set aside while you make the dressing.
In the bowl of a mini chopper, add in the olive oil, cilantro, Keto honey, garlic, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, ground cumin, salt, lime juice and zest.
Tip: If you don't have a mini chopper, you can add the ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
Blend until well combined and emulsified.
Pour the dressing over the shredded cabbage and veggies.
Toss to combine and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Delicious Ways to Serve Mexican Slaw
Topping for tacos: Sprinkle Mexican coleslaw on top of these Keto Tacos, fish tacos or shredded chicken tacos for a burst of flavor and crunch.
Topping for enchiladas: Use Mexican coleslaw as a topping for these delicious Keto Enchiladas.
Add to taco lettuce wraps: Add extra flavor to your lettuce wraps with a scoop of this coleslaw.
Topping for grilled Meats: Serve Mexican coleslaw as a refreshing side dish or topping alongside grilled meats like this Grilled Steak, these Shrimp Skewers, or any of your favorite grilled chicken recipes.
Mexican Sandwiches: Add a layer of Mexican coleslaw to your sandwiches made with this Keto Bread for a tangy flavor and a bit of added crunch.
Topping for stuffed peppers: Add a Mexican twist to these Mini Chorizo Stuffed Peppers with a spoonful of Mexican slaw as a topping.
Topping for Nachos: Sprinkle Mexican coleslaw on top of nachos made with these Keto Tortilla Chips.
Mexican Coleslaw Add-ins and Substitutions
- Diced avocado: Add a bit of creaminess and additional healthy fats with freshly diced avocados. Wait to add them until right before serving.
- Avocado Cilantro lime dressing: Want a creamy coleslaw, substitute the dressing ingredients with a hearty drizzle of this Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing.
- Cheese: Sprinkle some crumbled, cotija cheese, feta cheese or queso fresco on top.
- Sliced radishes: Radishes add a low-carb, refreshing crunch and a hint of peppery flavor.
- Pumpkin seeds: Also known as pepitas, add a delightful nutty texture and are also low in carbs.
- Chopped green chilies: For a spicy kick, add chopped green chilies or a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Diced jicama: Commonly used in Mexican recipes, sliced jicama adds a mildly sweet and crunchy taste without a lot of additional carbs.
- Sliced olives: Kalamata or green olives add a salty and tangy twist to robust Mexican spices.
- Corn and black beans: If you are preparing this recipe for someone that is not on a low-carb diet, you can add about ½ cup corn kernels and ½ cup rinsed and drained black beans.
- Taco seasoning: You have a batch of my homemade Taco Seasoning on hand, you can use it instead of the cumin and paprika.
Is this Coleslaw Recipe Healthy?
You bet it is! And here's why:
Nutrient-packed veggies: Coleslaw is made with cabbage, peppers, and onion. These vegetables are rich in nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin A and minerals potassium, calcium, and iron. It's also a great source of antioxidants.
Fiber: Cabbage is a good source of dietary fiber, which is so important for any diet.
Antioxidants: Cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables in coleslaw contain antioxidants.
Healthy fats: Olive oil contains monounsaturated fats, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties that are great for Keto or any healthy diet.
Hydration: Cabbage has a high-water content! We all know how important this is.
How Many Carbs are in Mexican Coleslaw?
While not all coleslaw recipes are low-carb, because of added sugar, this Mexican coleslaw is made with all low-carb veggies and a sugar free dressing. For one serving, there are only 4 net carbs per serving.
More Keto Mexican Recipes
- Easy Taco Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Poblano
- Baked Southwest Skillet
- Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
FREE 20 EASY KETO RECIPES EBOOK
For the Coleslaw
- 16 ounces shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced thin
- Add the shredded coleslaw mix, red cabbage, jalapeño pepper, red bell pepper, chopped cilantro and sliced red onion to a large mixing bowl. Set aside while you make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw and veggies. Toss to combine and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
*Make sure to scroll up and read the post for substitutions, additions and helpful tips for making this recipe.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol: Swerve, Erythritol, Monk Fruit or Allulose.
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the share buttons to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.