These grilled Cajun shrimp skewers are so quick and easy with minimal prep and served with the most amazing garlic butter sauce.
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, through links in this post. See my Disclosure.
Food is just more fun when its cooked on a skewer, wouldn't you agree! Grilled shrimp is no exception. Plus, let's face it, cooking shrimp on a skewer makes it a lot easier to handle on the grill.
One of the things I love most about this Cajun shrimp skewers recipe is how quick and easy it is. From start to finish, you can have dinner ready in minutes, making it the perfect busy weeknight dinner.
Homemade Cajun seasoning sends the flavor of this low carb shrimp recipe right over the top. They have just enough heat without being overpowering, which makes them a delicious choice for the whole family, even the kids!
These shrimp skewers use homemade Cajun seasoning that's great to have on hand for other grilling favorites. You can use leftover seasoning on chicken, fish or even mixed in ground beef for burgers. I even love it on grilled veggies!
What's in Grilled Cajun Shrimp
*Exact measurements are listed in the recipe card below.
How to Make Grilled Cajun Shrimp
To Make the Shrimp
Heat up your grill while you prepare the shrimp. Add the peeled, deveined and dried shrimp to a large bowl and set aside.
Pour the mixture over the shrimp and toss to combine.
Add the shrimp to skewers and grill for a few minutes on each side.
While the shrimp are cooking, prepare the Cajun garlic butter.
To Make the Cajun Garlic Butter
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add in the garlic and sauté for about 15 seconds. Careful not to brown it, or it will become bitter.
Add in the cajun seasoning lemon juice and zest. Allow to continue cooking for about 10 seconds longer, then remove from the heat.
Serve on the side of the shrimp while still warm.
What Do I Serve with Cajun Low Carb Shrimp?
This is one of my favorite Keto shrimp recipes. Though the Cajun seasoning is loaded with flavor, it's such a versatile dish and can be served with a simple green salad or most any vegetable side dish. If you're looking for some great low carb inspiration, check out some of these side dishes:
- Easy Creamed Spinach
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Green Beans Almondine
- Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower
- Broccoli Bacon Alfredo
- Spicy Bang Bang Cole Slaw
Tips for Buying and Cooking Shrimp
- Look for fresh, domestic, wild-caught shrimp when available.
- If you're using frozen shrimp, just be sure to look at the ingredients. It should just say, "shrimp and water."
- For this recipe, you’ll want to use medium to large sized shrimp. The shrimp need to big enough to skewer well.
- To make Keto shrimp recipes in a snap select shrimp that have are already peeled and deveined. If you can't find them already peeled, look for ones that have been split down the spine, called "Easy Peel."
- Don't be afraid to ask to touch and smell the shrimp at your grocery store or fish market. You want to avoid shrimp with a strong "shrimpy" or ammonia-like smell or those with a slimy or soft texture.
- You don’t need to marinate shrimp for very long. Acid from the lemon juice will begin to cook the shrimp so just a few minutes or up to an hour is really sufficient enough for the marinade to infuse the shrimp without cooking them.
- A beautiful thing about shrimp is how quick they cook. Just be careful not to over cook them because they will become rubbery These shrimp skewers are cooked when they turn an opaque color.
What are the Carbs in Shrimp? Are Shrimp Keto?
This is one of the most commonly questions and there's great news for anyone following Keto or a low carb diet. Shrimp are a very nutritious option!
For 6 ounces there are 34 grams of protein in shrimp, approximately 1 gram of carbs and zero sugars. This makes shrimp a perfect source of protein while keeping your carb intake to a minimum
Leftover Cajun Keto Shrimp make a zesty lettuce wrap with this Bang Bang Sauce, or you can even take them straight out of the fridge and serve over a salad.
More Keto Shrimp Recipes
- Grilled Lime Cilantro Shrimp Skewers
- Shrimp alla Vodka
- Creamy Shrimp Alfredo
- Keto Shrimp Scampi with Cauliflower Rice
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Keto Fried Shrimp
More Keto Grilling Recipes
- Thai Red Curry Coconut Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Apricot Vinaigrette
- Asian Grilled Chicken with Peanut Ginger Slaw
- Lime Cilantro Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Grilled Chicken with Rosemary Citrus Glaze
- Grilled Lemon Chicken Pesto over Zoodles
- Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
Grilled Cajun Shrimp Skewers
For the Grilled Shrimp
For the Cajun Butter Sauce
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
To Make the Grilled Shrimp
- Heat up your grill while you prepare the shrimp. Add the peeled, deveined and dried shrimp to a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add in the olive oil, cajun seasoning, garlic, lemon zest and juice. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture over the shrimp and toss to combine. Add the shrimp to skewers and grill for a few minutes on each side. While the shrimp is cooking, prepare the cajun garlic butter.
To Make the Cajun Garlic Butter
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add in the garlic and sauté for about 15 seconds. Careful not to brown it, or it will become bitter.
- Add in the cajun seasoning lemon juice and zest. Allow to continue cooking for about 10 seconds longer, then remove from the heat. Serve on the side of the shrimp while still warm.
*Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and is accurate to the best of my knowledge. You can verify it using the nutrition calculator of your choice. All data is based on net carbs, without sugar alcohol- Swerve, Erythritol, Allulose, or Monk Fruit.Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
© Copyright for Keto Cooking Christian LLC. Please use the buttons above to share on social media, but please do not copy/paste the recipe.